Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think the dead sweat probably kept the bidding down
I would have had it rebuilt to my size even though it would kill me to do so

g.durand

One Too Many
tommyK--I've seen that one, too, and watched the price drop as the hat gets re-listed over and over. I think that some new sellers see hats listed by a couple of those sellers that consistently post hats at exorbitant prices (I won't mention their eBay names) and think they can get into the game at those prices. If you check the completed listings of those one or two sellers who list at consistently high prices, you will see that a lot of their sales are at prices much lower than the original asking price. But those numbers may not reflect the true sales price. As an example, my brother bought a hat from one of those sellers by making an offer of less than half the asking price and getting it accepted, but the completed listing still showed it selling for the original asking price. So someone finds a nice hat, checks current listings and sees high priced hats that never sell at the original price or checks completed listings and sees false sales prices, and gives it a shot without a realistic knowledge of what the market will bear.

Mystic

Practically Family
At that size & if you could get it for the entry bid, $405.95 is not that bad for a true collectors item = those brims aren't made anymore & likely never will....a part of hat history.

Yep....

This is a collectors hat...

Not a hat wearers hat...

A hat to have. Not a hat to wear.

I'm glad I'm not a collector. So many other things I could do with $400.00 dollars.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Its a NOS Cavanagh in a larger size with a larger brim width than you see on on most Cavanaghs. Its pricey, but for what it is its really not out of bounds and reason. Especially when people are content to buy the new excellent series from stetson at around the same price point.

You'll have to ask a collector.....

Maybe go to a Museum and ask the Curator.... ;)

Alan.....Brad?

I have a few hats that I have collected that are small sizes. I didn't pay a high price for any of them but I wanted to make sure they were preserved. For example this hat is a size 54cm but I sure glad I have it.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hueckel%C2%B4s-soehne-hueckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page-5#entry610

It's highly possible a milliner would have purchased this hat due the small size and then proceeded to butcher it.

Last edited:
I don't have any hats that I don't wear (though I have too many to wear any very often)... excepting one or two that are too large or too small. The top hats all fit and are waiting for the proper occasion. Late 1950s Cavanaghs like the one above are quite common, though perhaps not in this large a size. I have bought several and have sold all of them, except one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner