Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Roger: That seems to be a very nice Fléchet. Fléchet was(/is?) a French brand, though - and I think this one is too. I would probably change the ribbon to something more classic, but that's a matter of taste :)

PS: Just found the Fléchet-thread. Re-reading that, I realize that your hat probably was made in the Czech Republic by Tonak.

Last edited:

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I neglected to mention that the size label reads, "made in USA." That's consistent with Bollman made. I don't think it's too old. Maybe made in the 1980s or 90s based on my internet research.

Ole - yes I plan to change the band to 1.5" black grosgrain, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Roger

Another mystery from Roswell, NM. The store in which it was sold held a bankruptcy sale in 1930.

mikado1.jpg

Last edited:

facade

A-List Customer
Inglorious defeat...

Melville Special

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Melville-Vintage-Bowler-Derby-Hat-Size-7-1-8-GREAT-CONDITION-/201375038767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=lit4p2IWUAp2ORRWhwhD00yuqMw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

In case the winner is a lounger, here is some info I collected on the hat/company.

Bro. Frank S. Logee, the present Master of Independent
Royal Arch Lodge, was born September 17, 1860, in Warsaw,
Missouri. He received his education in the public schools of
Lawrence, Kansas, graduating from the High School of that
place. He came to New York in 1878, and entered the employ
of Topping, Maynard & Hobron, wholesale hatters, as an errand
boy. His attention to business so won the confidence and esteem
of his employer that he was from time to time advanced to
more responsible positions. In 1901 he succeeded to the busi-
ness of the firm for which he first began his business career.
With Bro. Charles S. Steele, also of Independent Royal Arch
Lodge, he organized the Melville Hat Company.

(From August 1912 The Clothier and Furnisher) The MELVILLE HAT COMPANY well known as jobbers of hats and caps who have been located on University Place for many years have discontinued business The firm was originally known as Topping Maynard & Hobron which discontinued in 1893 and was succeeded by Maynard & Co and later by the Melville Hat Company Logee & Steele proprietors. In 1906 the company was incorporated with a capital stock of $75,000 Frank S Logee who was president of the is now connected with Tohh E Bates 45 Fourth Street and James L Steele who was secretary has gone with the Miller Allaire Company 721 Broadway. The cap department of the Melville Hat Company is now being conducted by CA Bushnell & Company at 38 East Eighth Street Mr Bushnell was formerly in charge of the cap department of the Melville Company.

The Melville Special was made in the late 1800's through as late as 1912 making the hat at a minimum of 103 years old. If the lister is correct and it was made by the Melville Hat Co., then it was made somewhere between 1901 and 1912.

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Hat sellers on eBay, with a few exceptions, are either uninformed or deliberately deceptive.

Here's an example of one that appears to be just plain wrong. This hat is advertised as a 7-1/2 but the label clearly says 7-1/8. Upon sending a message to the seller they responded by saying the size was definitely 7-1/2, but the tag was a little bent when the picture was taken and that is why it looks like it is 7-1/8. I've looked at this picture every which way and there is no doubt in my mind that the label says 7-1/8. Does anyone here think that label is 7-1/2?

$_12.JPG

ingineer

One Too Many
Clearly 7 1/8 to me
i see this happen all the time, on fleabay and even on this board.
sellers must think they can get more money out of the larger size.
when in doubt, rule it out

tommyK

One Too Many
Clearly 7 1/8 to me
i see this happen all the time, on fleabay and even on this board.
sellers must think they can get more money out of the larger size.
when in doubt, rule it out

+1 I've learned some hard (and expensive) lessons. Unless I see a clear tag or inside tag saying the size, I pass

photogravity

One of the Regulars
+1 I've learned some hard (and expensive) lessons. Unless I see a clear tag or inside tag saying the size, I pass

Right there with you. An expensive lesson is not a fun one. :doh:

tommyK and 1mach1, that is where I'm headed since there are times when sellers are untruthful about the sizing of their hats. Fortunately, the mistakes made so far have been more a source of irritation than anything else. Meanwhile I'm learning a good bit about the differences in quality of hats, the construction of them and even getting some ideas for bow designs I might like to copy on some of my hats when I become proficient enough to properly apply them.

For instance, a Knox Custom arrived on my doorstep advertised as a 7-1/2, but when I placed it on my head it was apparent it was smaller. I thought it might be a 7-3/8 and that I might be able to stretch it a bit, but no dice because when I measured the hat, it turned out to be a 7-1/4. There is no sign of any size tag anywhere on the hat, though there is a price tag in the sweatband for George Bullis Men's Store. In any case, the hat is a gorgeous oxblood color, with very lightweight felt and a Cavanagh edge. Though I have a couple other Knox Hats, this one is the nicest of the three by far with the felt quality approaching that of my Resistol Flatop, the touchstone I use when assessing felt quality. In any case, I've been able to handle a very fine hat and assess it on a firsthand basis because of my mistake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24