Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
Roger,

"Three Way" is the model name. The sales pitch was that you can wear it three ways and it was fronted by the then famous actor Bob Benchley. I googled "Stetson Three Way" and you'll find an ad for the hat so that is how I figured it out.

ways.jpg

Did somebody say three way?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Gorgeous hat Anthony.
BTW, what does "3 way" designate? Or is it mainly a marketing term?

Roger

the Three Way was a hat that Stetson offered for only a few years in the early 40s ... it was marketed as a hat that could be worn 3 ways
snap brim front
brim snapped up
and brim snapped down all the way around

it came in an interesting triangular box as well... pretty neat ... but also marketing

obviously just a marketing tool because any hat could be worn that way

but it is a pretty rare hat because it was only made for a brief period and also the Vita Felt model is not seen all that often as well ... not that I have seen anyway

see the ad here with spokesperson actor Bob Benchley

3_way.jpg

Last edited:
the Three Way was a hat that Stetson offered for only a few years in the early 40s ... it was marketed as a hat that could be worn 3 ways
snap brim front
brim snapped up

it came in an interesting triangular box as well... pretty neat ... but also marketing

but it is a pretty rare hat because it was only made for a brief period and also the Vita Felt model is not seen all that often as well ... not that I have seen anyway

3_way.jpg

I love the ephemera & the history! Keep it coming with every chance.

miket5r

A-List Customer
snap brim front
brim snapped up

3_way.jpg

@moon

Thank you for the statement. Where do you find this top hat? On ebay?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
my english :).... i mean its a great hat :)

I totally understand ... your english is just fine ... it's me

... and I probably paid more than a lot of people would have paid for the Three Way ... but it is a hat that I have coveted for a long time and almost came to terms with the fact that I may never find one in my size in any sort of decent condition ... so to come across one not only in my size , not only in great condition , not only in the box , but also Vita Felt ... I was sold !!

as I always say ... a hat is only worth what YOU are willing to pay for it

and it will eventually belong to my daughter and she can do what she wishes with it :)

Me too, but honestly I cant even recall another 6 7/8 thats sold for anywhere near that in recent memory.

True 'dat. You have a point, there.

This one went cheap... sadly the seller never replied the brim width and I was not at home... I might had tried.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ste...833673309?fromMakeTrack=true&autorefresh=true

I was watching that, too. Surprised it went for so little. Heck, the box was nice.

Cincinnati's finest!!

I knew you had sophistication and style! Hey, I'm going to be in your stompin' grounds last week of January. You'll have to let me buy you a beer.

40Cal

One Too Many
I totally understand ... your english is just fine ... it's me

... and I probably paid more than a lot of people would have paid for the Three Way ... but it is a hat that I have coveted for a long time and almost came to terms with the fact that I may never find one in my size in any sort of decent condition ... so to come across one not only in my size , not only in great condition , not only in the box , but also Vita Felt ... I was sold !!

as I always say ... a hat is only worth what YOU are willing to pay for it

and it will eventually belong to my daughter and she can do what she wishes with it :)
I think you did just fine. If it were my size i would have bought it at that price. You just don't see these come up for sale. It's a great hat.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I knew you had sophistication and style! Hey, I'm going to be in your stompin' grounds last week of January. You'll have to let me buy you a beer.

Sounds great - lets do it.

Spent a fair bit of time in Ohio over the years so had plenty of those meals. Our parent company is in Loveland, just north of Cincinnati - at least for a while, they are moving to a new location just over the river in Kentucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran