Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I just had an interesting experience on the bay. I saw a Dobbs Cross Country in my size at $125. The seller only stated to ship to the US, so I wrote a message, asking if he would please consider to ship it to DK. The reply was: "What's the shipping cost?"

I immediately wrote back, that I recently received a hat from NY and one from Wisconsin - both at $23 - but that it can vary, depending on the seller's location.

He then wrote me, that he had been contacted by people all over the World, and it turned out the hat was more rare than he initially thought. Now the price was $275! Okaaay ...!??!! :(

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I just had an interesting experience on the bay. I saw a Dobbs Cross Country in my size at $125. The seller only stated to ship to the US, so I wrote a message, asking if he would please consider to ship it to DK. The reply was: "What's the shipping cost?"

I immediately wrote back, that I recently received a hat from NY and one from Wisconsin - both at $23 - but that it can vary, depending on the seller's location.

He then wrote me, that he had been contacted by people all over the World, and it turned out the hat was more rare than he initially thought. Now the price was $275! Okaaay ...!??!! :(

that is bizarre

I would not spend $275 on that hat ... it is nice but it is not a particularly old model ... looks to be very late 50s ?

also that crease is well... heavily creased .. and it will eternally have a ghost crease if someone indeed wanted to change it

the original price would have been a nice get ...

people need to stop educating eBay sellers ... seriously

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, it leads to self-delusions like this.

Five pictures of the box, three of the hat from 10 feet away, and that price...

As a detective viewing one of the pictures in the hat listing, you will see a slight amount of a "wheel" most likely from an Oxygen Tank Trolley. Obviously they needed it to keep up with the mile high pricing! Hahaha!

40Cal

One Too Many
I saw that Cross Country last night when it was $125 or best offer.... sent him an offer and didn't hear back. Noticed this morning he relisted at a ridiculous price so I offered him ten dollars less this time around. Something not right with this seller .

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I saw that Cross Country last night when it was $125 or best offer.... sent him an offer and didn't hear back. Noticed this morning he relisted at a ridiculous price so I offered him ten dollars less this time around. Something not right with this seller .
Had a similar experience. Sent her a message regarding condition of the hat and she responded that it is in "great condition". I then asked for a photo of the sweatband and she responded that she added it to the listing and amended the title and description. I went to the listing to buy the hat only to discover she increased the price from $125 to $275! I messaged her inquiring about the price increase and she said "you people have been bugging me about this hat..." so much that I increased the price. She then began to throw insults my way so my advice FWIW is to steer clear of sellers like this. I like the hat but more like $125-150 worth. I've purchased nicer hats from better sellers for less than what she's asking. Caveat emptor.

40Cal

One Too Many
Had a similar experience. Sent her a message regarding condition of the hat and she responded that it is in "great condition". I then asked for a photo of the sweatband and she responded that she added it to the listing and amended the title and description. I went to the listing to buy the hat only to discover she increased the price from $125 to $275! I messaged her inquiring about the price increase and she said "you people have been bugging me about this hat..." so much that I increased the price. She then began to throw insults my way so my advice FWIW is to steer clear of sellers like this. I like the hat but more like $125-150 worth. I've purchased nicer hats from better sellers for less than what she's asking. Caveat emptor.
If you check her feedback she has one negative in the last six months..... the buyer says she sent him curse laden emails because he felt she misrepresented a hat he purchased from her. I think we are all better off that she decided not to sell!

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than i can enlighten me as to why this hat might be worth the price it sold for. 31 bids! It's a brown hat that is missing it's liner . I don't see anything special about it..... anyone have any idea?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111921264238?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mystery to me, too, 40. That was one I thought I could pick up at a decent price, then it went far, far north. It's not even that old, sometime in the 50s, likely.

And yet this thing goes for under $40.00 (I shoulda bid on it).

People be whack.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
If you check her feedback she has one negative in the last six months..... the buyer says she sent him curse laden emails because he felt she misrepresented a hat he purchased from her. I think we are all better off that she decided not to sell!
Sadly I think you are right. Too bad she is holding a nice little hat hostage but life's too short to deal with people like that. She seemed really annoyed at the questions she received on her listing. If that sort of thing bothers her so much, she needs to find a new outlet to sell her goods.

I've been looking for a Cross Country for a while but I will keep on looking!

40Cal

One Too Many
Mystery to me, too, 40. That was one I thought I could pick up at a decent price, then it went far, far north. It's not even that old, sometime in the 50s, likely.

And yet this thing goes for under $40.00 (I shoulda bid on it).

People be whack.
I have a feeling they thought it was a unique color combo... at least it looks that way in the pictures. A grey hat with a redish purple ribbon, but the description says "brown". I suspect poor photography is the most likely culprit.
That Dobbs was nice! You just never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran