Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Panadora

Practically Family
that teardrop shaped coffin is a Three Way box ... very nice
That's been sitting there for a while with the 3-way box. It would have fit my wife, but not me. Good pick up!
I'm not a collector, but never the less I felt something were missing and after only about 6 weeks I just won a hat for box :cool:

s-l1600ca.jpg

s-l1600ce.jpg

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
"unless you actually think that the price is directly connected to size"

Of course size matters. Any look at the field of sales will prove that larger sizes in vintage hats generally take the bigger dollars.

I agree with everyone above that the hat in question was stunning. Nearly in perfect shape. And Three-Ways are very hard to come by. I think I've only seen a handful over the last few years. Less than 10 for sure. It looks like a great piece.

RJR

"unless you actually think that the price is directly connected to size"

Of course size matters. Any look at the field of sales will prove that larger sizes in vintage hats generally take the bigger dollars.

I agree with everyone above that the hat in question was stunning. Nearly in perfect shape. And Three-Ways are very hard to come by. I think I've only seen a handful over the last few years. Less than 10 for sure. It looks like a great piece.
Great catch!

No need to be surprised (unless you actually think that the price is directly connected to size).
All it takes is two buyers seriously interested in the same lot!

Absolutely right. Most high numbers are achieved by two bidders who want the item - or sometimes a few neophyte bidders playing tit for tat early in the auction. Size is of little consequence with something special.

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
While I certainly agree that all it takes on anything--no matter what the item is--is two people going nuts to "win" in a bidding war, it is absurd to pretend that size doesn't matter in vintage hat sales. How many times have you seen a 6-7/8 Stratoliner go for $50 and a 7-7/8 Strat in the same condition go for over $300?

Anyway, I had to laugh today because here is an actual photo one ebay seller is using to sell a hat... now remember, this is the real photo he posted... I did nothing to it...
s-l1600-2.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
While I certainly agree that all it takes on anything--no matter what the item is--is two people going nuts to "win" in a bidding war, it is absurd to pretend that size doesn't matter in vintage hat sales. How many times have you seen a 6-7/8 Stratoliner go for $50 and a 7-7/8 Strat in the same condition go for over $300?

Anyway, I had to laugh today because here is an actual photo one ebay seller is using to sell a hat... now remember, this is the real photo he posted... I did nothing to it...
View attachment 46275

I just bid $475 on it ... and it is a 6 1/8

I'm running low on thimbles

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Not me, but hard to believe it didn't go for a bit more than it did. I have a dark grey one very similar to that one and the felt on it is incredible.

I got the 40s Strat ... wasn't letting that one get away ... but that blue Premier was sweet ... if not for the replaced sweat I would have been in on that one as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy