Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mm25

One Too Many
They work ok, but even the vintage American made ones are not super accurate.

Honestly the best way to measure the circumference of a sweatband is to take the measurements with a tailors tape. Measure the "major" axis and "minor" axis and punch those two numbers into this calculator. It will give you the perimeter/circumference of the sweatband.

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/callipse.htm
That calculator should be a sticky somewhere. Very useful.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just roped this 'un right out of the chute, must've just been listed all of 10 seconds.

Anyone care to speculate as to the model? The brim looks too wide to be a Bellagio, Dante or a Como, so I am guessing it's a Verdi.
I thought to remove that tacky ribbon and replace it with something not advertising Borsalino. Maybe leather or a pugaree.

RJR

I just roped this 'un right out of the chute, must've just been listed all of 10 seconds.

Anyone care to speculate as to the model? The brim looks too wide to be a Bellagio, Dante or a Como, so I am guessing it's a Verdi.
I thought to remove that tacky ribbon and replace it with something not advertising Borsalino. Maybe leather or a pugaree.
Nice catch!

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
You just missed this bargain-priced one on Ebay, Frunie.

And the Chinese are into making everything... They even have a made-in-China version of this
View attachment 47891 But I won't buy from a shoe store that doesn't use the USA version. Just me.
I have two US made Brannock devices (men's and women's) brand new in the boxes. I don't know why. I just think they're cool.

- Andrew

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
They work ok, but even the vintage American made ones are not super accurate.

Honestly the best way to measure the circumference of a sweatband is to take the measurements with a tailors tape. Measure the "major" axis and "minor" axis and punch those two numbers into this calculator. It will give you the perimeter/circumference of the sweatband.

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/callipse.htm
That's a pretty good tool, Josh - even though a hat-oval is not an ellipse.

At some point Alan showed an even easier method, that works just as well for the purpose: Add the length of the two axis and divide the result by two:

(8" + 6.5") / 2 = 7-1/4

I know, it sounds unscientific, but it actually works ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Jack! Subtlety isn't a strong suit of mine...
You would make a magnificent Dane, Charlie (sorry, but "Great Dane" would be too obvious) :)

To us Danes the phrase "pun (not) intended" is a true joke-killer! No point in telling a joke, if you find it necessary to point out, you were telling a joke.

At one point I actually had to ask an American Lounger how to understand the phrase - and why it's used. Subtle differences between seemingly alike cultures can be quite confusing :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
If you've lusted after the hats that Tim in the Closet over at eBay sells, but not wanted to pay his high prices, he is currently having a mega 75% off sale. I couldn't resist one myself, at a big discount over an offer I made earlier that he turned down.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/timothiescloset

Here's my purchase, JC Penny SpaceAge straw

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-13%20at%2010.39.27%20PM-L.png

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
That's a pretty good tool, Josh - even though a hat-oval is not an ellipse.

At some point Alan showed an even easier method, that works just as well for the purpose: Add the length of the two axis and divide the result by two:

(8" + 6.5") / 2 = 7-1/4

I know, it sounds unscientific, but it actually works ;)
My Husband would say really, the best way to tell what size a hat is has two simple steps to it.
One: Does it fit you?
Two: Can you make it fit you?

If the answer if no to those two questions/statements then the hat size is not your size.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
If you've lusted after the hats that Tim in the Closet over at eBay sells, but not wanted to pay his high prices, he is currently having a mega 75% off sale. I couldn't resist one myself, at a big discount over an offer I made earlier that he turned down.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/timothiescloset

Here's my purchase, JC Penny SpaceAge straw

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-13%20at%2010.39.27%20PM-L.png
Nice. There was a hat similar in some ways that was a vintage borso made with some "futuristic" material more than likely made in the late 1950's on eBay, I should have purchased it but it looks hard and like kevlar. Reminded me of something George Jetson would have worn to a meeting with Mr. Spacely Sprocket. But Daniel liked how it looked. It is gone now....oh well.

My Husband would say really, the best way to tell what size a hat is has two simple steps to it.
One: Does it fit you?
Two: Can you make it fit you?

If the answer if no to those two questions/statements then the hat size is not your size.

That brings us back to the buy in person vs. internet discussion. If you can't physically plop it on your head, you need some way of estimating size. And since there aren't many vintage hat shops in most neighborhoods...

Mm25

One Too Many
I received another Akubra drover today. Don't know why just seem to not be able to pass up an Akubra lately.
The kind ebay seller put the hat, brim dimensions 14 3/4 by 13 1/2, into a 12 by 12 shipping box, with the brim flat against the bottom of the box and a plastic bag full of packing peanuts on top of the crown, squeezing it down to about 2 inches to hold it securely during shipping, the extra brim just curling up the sides.
WTF!
Thankfully Akubra are tough. But really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran