Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I should know better. Picked up a Mallory on an Ebay BIN, good price, listed as Very Good Condition and Very Clean.
and dark grey in colour. The hat I received is filthy. It feels like it was stored close to a kitchen for many decades and has that covering of kitchen grease/film. I can't touch it without needing to wash my hands. And it is black in colour. The only reason it looks dark grey is due to the filth. AND the topper is that it has a moth bite clean through to the liner right at the centre pinch area. I am, needless to say, sending it back even though it is not worth the time/money I spent but as a matter of principle I do not want to reward such shoddy selling practice. BUT, I should know better than to risk the aggro of buying a hat online from a non hat person. Not necessarily evil, just stupid!

Vintage Mens Mallory Fifth Avenue Charcoal Gray Fedora Size 7 3/8 Very Clean

If that was the hat, the description was certainly optimistic, but the seller did directed you to look at the photos and the photos show clearly that the hat is a mess. 14 day money back return privilege gives you an out if you guessed wrong. I'm sorry it didn't turn out better.

If you've lusted after the hats that Tim in the Closet over at eBay sells, but not wanted to pay his high prices, he is currently having a mega 75% off sale. I couldn't resist one myself, at a big discount over an offer I made earlier that he turned down.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/timothiescloset

Here's my purchase, JC Penny SpaceAge straw

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-13%20at%2010.39.27%20PM-L.png

Super!

Some similar hats in this catalog. :)

Fléchet Vous Présente Quelques Modèles De Sa Collection De Printemps 1953, Fléchet Presents To You Some Models From Their Spring Collection 1953

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...s-modèles-de-sa-collection-de-printemps-1953/

Vintage Mens Mallory Fifth Avenue Charcoal Gray Fedora Size 7 3/8 Very Clean

If that was the hat, the description was certainly optimistic, but the seller did directed you to look at the photos and the photos show clearly that the hat is a mess. 14 day money back return privilege gives you an out if you guessed wrong. I'm sorry it didn't turn out better.
I am not sure how you get that the hat is a mess from the photos. In the darkened ones I cannot tell anything and the splotches I thought were from the flash and perhaps a bit of dust. So I went by the description and the statement that the Hat is very clean is not optimistic it is delusional. To the seller's credit they are taking it back but the hassle of repackaging and the trip to the post office renders it all a push at best. But as I said, I should know better.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I received another Akubra drover today. Don't know why just seem to not be able to pass up an Akubra lately.
The kind ebay seller put the hat, brim dimensions 14 3/4 by 13 1/2, into a 12 by 12 shipping box, with the brim flat against the bottom of the box and a plastic bag full of packing peanuts on top of the crown, squeezing it down to about 2 inches to hold it securely during shipping, the extra brim just curling up the sides.
WTF!
Thankfully Akubra are tough. But really?
Hahahahah! Wait until you get a hat that is sent in a MAILING envelope!

I am not sure how you get that the hat is a mess from the photos. In the darkened ones I cannot tell anything and the splotches I thought were from the flash and perhaps a bit of dust...

dirty_mallory.jpg

dirty_mallory2.jpg

Yes, the dark photos are not helpful. The flash photos however show a soiled hat. The seller offered returns for full refund so you were covered (except for freight) for taking the chance that it might be better than it appeared. There is a tremendous amount of before and after documentation here - between this thread and the Post New Hats Here thread - both victories and defeats. You can glean a lot of knowledge by following these hat purchase adventures, though in the end, nothing educates better than experience. As long as you bid on auctions with returns allowed, the tuition is reasonable.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I should know better. Picked up a Mallory on an Ebay BIN, good price, listed as Very Good Condition and Very Clean.
and dark grey in colour. The hat I received is filthy. It feels like it was stored close to a kitchen for many decades and has that covering of kitchen grease/film. I can't touch it without needing to wash my hands. And it is black in colour. The only reason it looks dark grey is due to the filth. AND the topper is that it has a moth bite clean through to the liner right at the centre pinch area. I am, needless to say, sending it back even though it is not worth the time/money I spent but as a matter of principle I do not want to reward such shoddy selling practice. BUT, I should know better than to risk the aggro of buying a hat online from a non hat person. Not necessarily evil, just stupid!

Not that is would have made a difference, but to ask a seller a ton of questions first, makes a big difference for me before I even bid. You note many sellers that do not know anything about a hat will have issues in size, brim width, etc. so that is where you ask for them to measure the hat...(you may have to actually explain how to use a tape measure for them to know where to even measure from), then ask how many small nibbles they can see on the felt, how much dirt or holes or dry spots on the leather or cracks on it! If they answer all those questions you have a better chance to know if you want to bid or buy that hat.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
BUT, I should know better than to risk the aggro of buying a hat online from a non hat person. Not necessarily evil, just stupid!
Yeah, you're probably right. It's about time to tell us Fedora Loungers, that we're nothing but a bunch of helpless, vacuum-headed morons - buying hats online from non hat persons.

On the other hand ... could be we are not necessarily idiots, just stupid.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's about time to tell us Fedora Loungers, that we're nothing but a bunch of helpless, vacuum-headed morons - buying hats online from non hat persons.

On the other hand ... could be we are not necessarily idiots, just stupid.

Yes, but I live for non-hat persons who have a gem and don't know it. That BIN button can come in handy in just such a case!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran