Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

if you are talking about that killer strat that went for $330 yesterday I'd like to know as well

it took all of my restraint to not bid
Yes!!!! I watched this to the bitter end with my shaking finger over the bid button..........alas I have shown great restraint before Christmas.....the season for others.....THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CHARLES DICKENS!!!
Cheers,
M

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Minor gripe -- Saw a nice little modern Dobbs homburg in midnight blue up for buy-it-now at a very low price; around 37 bucks. But I'm a betweener in size -- finicky bald head of mine -- so I need a pretty good idea of a hat's actual dimensions before committing the cash...

The owner listed the hat as a 7 1/4 but the pics showed 7 1/8, so I messaged him to ask if the hat had stretched out. He said no, it didn't stretch out. I asked him if he could measure it just to be safe and let me know the oval dimensions. He said no.

I explained why I was requesting the measurement and asked if he'd be willing to measure. He said no and sent me a link to a generic size chart... Okay, buddy....

So I explained to him again that it would be REALLY handy to have a measurement. This time, he told me no, sent me a size chart, AND pointed out that there are five others interested, so I could bugger off. My quest for a blue homburg would not be deterred....

SOOOO --- I waited for the hat to inevitably not sell (which it didn't) then promptly asked again if he could take the measurement. This time he said no, then he told me it would be too much of an inconvenience for him, and finally berated me because I would give him a negative review for being off by 1/6".

Customer service. RIP
I've had similar experience ... I ask every single seller of a hat to measure the hat opening front to back and side to side even if there is a size tag stating my size ... been burned too many times

I've had someone put a period correct 1/4 Stetson size tag in a 7 hat... I guess knowing they could get more? ... then made me pay a "restocking fee" of $85 when I sent it back and called them on their BS

I said to him ... restocking fee? ... you mean accept the box when it arrives ?
WTF is wrong with people?

best to walk away ... a better hat will come down the pike on karma alone my friend

too many good honest and cooperative sellers out there to deal with idiots like that

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I've had similar experience ... I ask every single seller of a hat to measure the hat opening front to back and side to side even if there is a size tag stating my size ... been burned too many times

I've had someone put a period correct 1/4 Stetson size tag in a 7 hat... I guess knowing they could get more? ... then made me pay a "restocking fee" of $85 when I sent it back and called them on their BS

I said to him ... restocking fee? ... you mean accept the box when it arrives ?
WTF is wrong with people?

best to walk away ... a better hat will come down the pike on karma alone my friend

too many good honest and cooperative sellers out there to deal with idiots like that

Oh yeah -- walked away from that one. I'd rather pay top dollar for a good custom in the color I want than give forty bucks to a mook.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I've actually had really great success with paypal cs ... and easy as well
its eBays cs that is a nightmare ... it is impossible to get to an actual person

Crap! I deleted that post on accident. Anyway -- yeah I agree with you. eBay CS is rough, which is why I'm pretty picky about what I buy off that platform. Paypal is good -- you get a rep on the phone right away for the most part. But having to explain refunding errors to them is a bit of a task. They'll get the job done for you, but I've usually had to wait three weeks for the results to actually happen.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
paypal I agree... eBay not so much
paypal you can get directly to a person immediately
eBay you have to submit some bs form and have them never get back to you
Ebay has done everything for me start to finish. I've called them up and said I was computer illeterate... (hold time hasn't been too bad always less the say 5 min) and asked them to do it all for me and to handle it all. They started the claims, followed through completely on all the caca and did everything for me including working with PayPal. I've gotten $$$'s put back into my bank acct in less then 10 biz days.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Ebay has done everything for me start to finish. I've called them up and said I was computer illeterate... (hold time hasn't been too bad always less the say 5 min) and asked them to do it all for me and to handle it all. They started the claims, followed through completely on all the caca and did everything for me including working with PayPal. I've gotten $$$'s put back into my bank acct in less then 10 biz days.

Oh that's awesome. In any case, for my particular situation, it wasn't eBay's CS I had an issue with, but the shop owner. Many of my past experiences with hat dealers on the bay have been great.

is it me or are random hats going for bananas prices right now ?

some hats I'm watching that would have barely been bid on a few months ago or a year ago are up to like 3 bills with time left on the clock

what's going on ?

No, you ain't wrong. I can't predict anything right now.

Maybe the Christmas Bonuses came early.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR