Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I got this for $25. Shipping to Europe cost almost as much. 2.5 inch brim. Nothing special, but it doubles up for the nicer Wormser I have, but the felt is very soft and shapeable. It came in a cattle mans crease and has some moth bites, despite being told that there were none, but for the price, I can live with it. I think it is 1980s or maybe 1970s at a stretch.

5dd2513aba61eaf79f64f9bce1937e97.jpg

69f403113d4287adaa4b11df077ce874.jpg

9d52f4eb292268ac8b88164666c1529e.jpg
I think your date assumption may be a little late ... never heard of the brand so I really have no idea

just going by what I see

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
allow me a short vent if you will ...

why do people bid on items that have 6 days left on the auction ... or any amount of days ??

I'm watching this hat right now and a couple guys keep outbidding each other on a hat with over 5 days left ... what the Fk is the point of this aside from pointlessly driving up the price of the hat ?

in the last 7 or 8 hats I have won on eBay I did not bid more than once

my advice to these morons ... decide what the most you are willing to pay for the hat is and bid on it when it comes down to the last few minutes

to me the length of any given auction is purely for the seller to give the item more time to be seen ... not for you to bid against someone else and drive the price up with weeks until the gavel drops

chances are you will only lose in the final seconds to a guy like me or carouselvic anyway ;)

rant over ... as you were

Last edited:

Windsock8e

A-List Customer

why do people bid on items that have 6 days left on the auction ... or any amount of days ??

I'm watching this hat right now and a couple guys keep outbidding each other on a hat with over 5 days left ... what the Fk is the point of this aside from pointlessly driving up the price of the hat ?

my advice to these morons ... decide what the most you are willing to pay for the hat is and bid on it when it comes down to the last few minutes

to me the length of any given auction is purely for the seller to give the item more time to be seen ... not for you to bid against someone else and drive the price up with weeks until the gavel drops

chances are you will only lose in the final seconds to a guy like me or carouselvic anyway ;)

Agree. I put a bid in on a battered but salvageable Borsalino straw 9 seconds before the end and some guy won it by putting in a bid after me and my internet chose that moment to go slow so lost out. It went for £21...about the same in dollars with current @!#%* Brexit exchange rate.next time I will aim for 4/5 seconds before the end.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Who the hell knos why they do that. Aggravates me to.
It's like they can't wait to piss on the tree and mark their turf.
So fckn stupid and the next one to outbid is like saying "my dicks bigger then yers..." Idiots.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It's rare for me to buy anything on eBay these days, but I always had success with the Auction Sniper app.

Just set your max amount and the app places your bid with about 4 seconds to go.

Much easier than trying to be ready to personally make a last minute bid.

Cheers! David

doing it personally is what is exciting about it for me... watching the seconds tick down

timing it up ... hoping your max is higher than the next guy

that is what makes it fun in my opinion ... it has sort of replaced drugs in my life ... fortunately/unfortunately

I've missed some auctions that I would have won if I had one of those super sniper thingies. Although I do agree with Moon about the excitement of watching the seconds tick down. My problem is I space out when the auction is ending and miss out on that fun. Of course, bidding against Moon is pissing in the wind, but I can dream can't I?

Uhu

Familiar Face
I'm a last min bidder, and I've wondered same about people who start bidding early. A few possible reasons are 1) no budget to seriously collect, but *wow* I can be the high bidder on a choice item for a couple of days! 2) The entertainment value of bidding war; out there is a poor schmuck who I just keep kneeing to the groin heh heh heh. 3) Poorly thought out psychological warfare tactic-- if I just keep bidding / keep upping the price that will demoralize the other bidders so they'll walk away! 4) Tunnel vision, I really really want the thing and I don't have a strategy. 5) I don't really want the thing but its priced so cheap, what the heck, toss a bid and walk away, maybe I'll get lucky. I'm sure there are many more reasons.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'll hit a bid early occasionally, just for grins & giggles. I also refer to is as "peeing on it," sort of in the hopes you might scare others off. But mostly, I have no rhyme or reason - I just feel like getting a bid out.

99% of the time I'm a 30 second bidder though. Usually 10 seconds.
hahahaha ... peeing on it ... marking your territory
my dog James does this little kick thing he does with his back legs after he marks something ... I think he thinks he is kind of spreading his mark by kicking dirt .
I'm picturing you placing a bid and then doing the little kick ritual
.... amazing !!!

The saving grace to my bank account is that I don't have one of those snipe apps and I am a shitty bidder. When I do win something my first thought is "I must have screwed up, what flaw did I miss?". I am now out of the eBay/vintage game and will buy from Bond's Etsy offerings when it suits me or save foranother custom.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I did it once (please forgive me) and bid early on (a bit too much) for a hat I didn't really want that badly, just to make my presence felt... Long story short as we got closer to the cut off I sorta got into a pissing match with another bidder and banged out a high bid. Too high and I won a hat I didn't really want or need. Never again.

hahahaha ... peeing on it ... marking your territory
my dog James does this little kick thing he does with his back legs after he marks something ... I think he thinks he is kind of spreading his mark by kicking dirt .
I'm picturing you placing a bid and then doing the little kick ritual
.... amazing !!!

Yeah, I'm constantly having to clean the dirt off my monitor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider