Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I just found a Biltmore Peluche hat for sale that I really like. Don't ask me why, but I dig the long hair fur felt hats. My wife hates them.

2a85497be23ba52fe057e2b3f7709010.jpg
58caf55259a0f1d43085820bb82dbbe9.jpg
2aaa16463bb565deb065b6665d3a3617.jpg

My question is this: is this Biltmore different enough from my Borsalino to justify adding it to my collection? I realize that I'm ultimately the only one who can make the decision, but your help would be appreciated. My Borsalino:

d3ea7962bb223ac2d8a3fde8a1f6a482.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found a Biltmore Peluche hat for sale that I really like. Don't ask me why, but I dig the long hair fur felt hats. My wife hates them.

2a85497be23ba52fe057e2b3f7709010.jpg
58caf55259a0f1d43085820bb82dbbe9.jpg
2aaa16463bb565deb065b6665d3a3617.jpg

My question is this: is this Biltmore different enough from my Borsalino to justify adding it to my collection? I realize that I'm ultimately the only one who can make the decision, but your help would be appreciated. My Borsalino:

d3ea7962bb223ac2d8a3fde8a1f6a482.jpg

Another of my Borsalino:
e5e27f380cff85b180dcb92e9bd7070d.jpg

I feel like that Borsalino will outclass the Biltmore and keep it on the rack. It looks like less well done version of what you already have to me.

The Borso is one of the dreaded newer manufactures (the shame). But yes, they are similar and the Borso is the nicer hat.

One of my problems is passing up nice used hats in my 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 size. They don't come along often enough.

boze

One of the Regulars
The Borso is one of the dreaded newer manufactures (the shame). But yes, they are similar and the Borso is the nicer hat.

One of my problems is passing up nice used hats in my 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 size. They don't come along often enough.
Okay, you talked me into it. I'm a 59 to 60 and even there I'm jealous of the options for the three sizes smaller than me. Sometimes it's like I can't even find a hat to buy!

Okay, you talked me into it. I'm a 59 to 60 and even there I'm jealous of the options for the three sizes smaller than me. Sometimes it's like I can't even find a hat to buy!

That's how I ended up with a dozzen stingy brims that I never wear; I just couldn't pass up a hat in my size. I kicked the stingy brim habit, but I still suffer from size anxiety (no, not that kind).

I feel like that Borsalino will outclass the Biltmore and keep it on the rack. It looks like less well done version of what you already have to me.
I agree with this, HOWEVER there is a place for duplication. I have duplicates of hats. Usually it is a fine one, say a Borsa with a cheaper version, a sacrificial anode kind of hat that I wear on crappy weather days, or knockabout days. The cheaper hats takes the abuse and saves the "good" one for more special occasions. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

This is a reasoning that is quite sound (a bit selfserving too, but hey). If you do find a vintage hat in your size, especially if you have a tough size: buy it. They're not made anymore.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I thought that one would be right up your alley. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it (the auction shots were nice enough, but still...). Have to admit you paid more than I do for my hats, but then again how many of these come along?
I wasn't going to go that high... but old Stetsons are my addiction, and the wife approved (loves the color), so I obligated to appease her.... at least that's what I'll tell myself

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran