Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
What other motive did you think I had? How was I getting anything out of it? Rather than disparaging someone you have not met and jumping to conclusions you might give others the benefit of your doubts. It's easy to be a bully in an anonymous setting, but I just don't get people like you.

I won't post similar items here again and feel free to block my postings if it makes you felt better.
Must take the man at his word and give him the benefit of doubt unless you have proof otherwise. He'll learn the ropes.

I couldn't disagree with this BS more!
Handsome, where did I say you had a personal motive at stake in this auction or with your post?

Why would you ever care or think it was your responsibility to "revive exposure" in an auction by involving yourself? An auction is strictly between the seller & any bidders. An auction can be hurt by things as simply as how the seller has written his text up or the pictures he provides. Would you propose to make recommendations to the seller on those as well?

I took no responsibility to increase the exposure. I was trying to be helpful and did it out of that intention and not out of any duty. People can try to help each other.

As a matter of fact, I have helped sellers correct their adds which no doubt allowed some of them to increase their profits. I'm not mercenary about it and I don't want to get a good deal at someone's expense. If they list a hat as wool and it's actually beaver I have let them know. There's more to life than money. I try to act honorably and as long as I don't do it within this forum my actions are moot.

It's only natural that any buyer wishes to win an auction with a bid that saves him some money. The seller has the right to protect his item by placing a minimum reserve if he chooses to do so; that is entirely his decision. It should be of no concern to anyone else what he may think the market price is or be willing to accept as a selling price. Again, why involve yourself at all?

How did I do this by letting others know that there was a nice hat at a good price? I did not interject myself in the deal, I only gave it exposure. I now get that this is not how it is done here and it is an every man for himself place. As for "why involve yourself," it was out of what I perceived at the time to be camaraderie and a shared interest, not competition.

As far as your comment on bringing the auction to the attention of fellow loungers I have to agree with 25B, that is horse shit. Please read again DJH's point about how hard Lounge members who are collecting vintage hats work the various auction sites & internet sources. And I'm quite sure Boze knows exactly what he is looking for & doesn't need anyone to bring an auction listing to his attention on an open forum.

Again, this was my error as to the concept of the Lounge. I believed it was more a place of shared interest and that there was less competition. I did not realize it was as dog eat dog as I'm learning it can be. I accept that this was my mistake.

I was not posting it for anyone in particular (Boze) and if no one here could have benefited then there could be no harm. Your whole supposition is that my advertising it exposed it to people who woulld not have otherwise seen it.

Please do put my posts on your ignore list, I'll do the same with yours.
I

The comment of my first explanation being "BS" was what confused me. I was sincere in my intentions and in my explanation. To disagree and give an explanation is something that I'm all for, as my willingness to not post such things again demonstrates. To disagree and just say another's position if BS is not helpful and is rude.

Now I'm done with this. I'm again focusing on hats. I won't advertise for others here and I will be more contemplative regarding my actions and try to avoid offending others.

Now, what hat do I need next?

Handsome, there's wisdom in standing back & learning the ropes before stepping in the ring.

Indeed yes. I'm well aware that I'm often my own worst enemy. I'm honestly not trying to upset the apple cart. I think I'll do more reading and less writing for now. I have learned a lot and I'm grateful for all that the folks here have helped me with.

Please forgive any offense I've given.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I bought that hat and personally I'd prefer if folks could use this thread for auctions they've won rather than broadcasting the availability of hats in my size rather than theirs, ya know? Like if the Gun Club had been in your sizes you would have waited to win before you posted it here right? So it's like you're really just making it harder for me and any other 7 3/8 lounger despite the good intentions. Would you want me posting 7 5/8 hats here even though I don't buy them or would you rather me stay quiet so you can search for yourself? No offense and no hard feelings of course.

Thoughts?
100% agreed

No point in posting live auctions

It only brings extra attention to an already cluttered space

We all know where to look for hats and what is available out there ... let's not drive up prices by bringing an auction to someone's attention who may not have taken the time to seek it out otherwise

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
While posting links to eBay actions is not strictly against the rules here, it is generally considered to be quite poor etiquette.

The exception, is when it is your own auction in which case you can post a link to it in the classified section. The other exception is when the price of a hat is so high that no one would want to buy it anyway and we can all laugh about it!

Some of our members put a lot of effort into tracking down bargains on eBay, and the last thing they want is for those auctions to suddenly be publicized here in front of most of their competition.
Much better said than my attempt

Thank you David

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Indeed yes. I'm well aware that I'm often my own worst enemy. I'm honestly not trying to upset the apple cart. I think I'll do more reading and less writing for now. I have learned a lot and I'm grateful for all that the folks here have helped me with.

Please forgive any offense I've given.

To be fair, I've posted a live auction here before to notify potential buyers and wasn't held accountable. Though after yesterday I won't be doing that again!

Anyway, I think this thread welcomes live auction posts so long as they're ludicrous (which takes a certain level of experience to identify) and odds are nobody would seek the listing anyway. For example, a while back I posted a listing for a WOOL homburg, supposedly autographed on the outside by Al Pacino with sharpy. I think the seller was asking for around 2 thousand bucks. Ludicrous.

To be fair, I've posted a live auction here before to notify potential buyers and wasn't held accountable. Though after yesterday I won't be doing that again!

Anyway, I think this thread welcomes live auction posts so long as they're ludicrous (which takes a certain level of experience to identify) and odds are nobody would seek the listing anyway. For example, a while back I posted a listing for a WOOL homburg, supposedly autographed on the outside by Al Pacino with sharpy. I think the seller was asking for around 2 thousand bucks. Ludicrous.

Technically, live auction links are allowed; they didn't use to be. However, most of us follow the etiquette outlined by David above. We're all pretty cognizant of the risks of advertising something too widely and try to protect our interests.

However, technically, @deadlyhandsome did nothing wrong. Most of us just aren't too keen on it.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While posting links to eBay actions is not strictly against the rules here, it is generally considered to be quite poor etiquette.

The exception, is when it is your own auction in which case you can post a link to it in the classified section. The other exception is when the price of a hat is so high that no one would want to buy it anyway and we can all laugh about it!

Some of our members put a lot of effort into tracking down bargains on eBay, and the last thing they want is for those auctions to suddenly be publicized here in front of most of their competition.

Agree 100%.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I first joined, I have to admit that I've been tempted to pass on an incredibly nice hat at a low opening bid that I wasn't interested in. Simply in the spirit of turning my fellow loungers onto an incredible deal. Then I thought "what if I was interested..."
I did the same, except I knew a lounger was intetested in a certain brand and size, and let them know about one on auction.
They were very kind and thanked me. Afterwards I realized that I shouldn't have done it. My intentions were good, just didn't think about it before acting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I did the same, except I knew a lounger was intetested in a certain brand and size, and let them know about one on auction.
They were very kind and thanked me. Afterwards I realized that I shouldn't have done it. My intentions were good, just didn't think about it before acting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
...I'd maybe let Fruno or Moon know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112