Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. I am not sure where I fall in all of this. If we are refering to Levallois wonderfull new hat, it is most certainly not an OR but is a GREAT western......and if he were ever to tire of it;):rolleyes:

As for others, I have two Stetsons with the same dimensions ribbons, binding and even a wind cord, but one is marked as an OR and the other is not. Both are 3X. I did post the second non OR marked hat under the OR thread for referance but belive it is simply one of their other models. In referancing the stockman cataloges both online and the ones I own, Stetson lists SEVERAL hats one would call an OR just looking at them but are listed as differant models........so........the name is in the eye of the beholder outside the obvious western hat 3X models.
    Best,
    M
    PS Here are some examples......each page has an OR clone with a differant model name......many I would call an OR .............but......as you can see, Stetson did not at the time.
    PS ..PS.....there are MANY examples of Stetson fedoras in this same situation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

And they have an OR listed with a 3" raw brim.

Go figure.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Michael R., Bamaboots and M Hatman like this.
  3. [QUOTE="Hat stuff be whack. And I love it gives us something to argue about!
    Sent directly from my mind to yours.[/QUOTE]
    Now.....I......call that.....DISCUSSION! ;););):)
    M:)

Frunobulax likes this.
  4. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

And let's not forget the Resistol Beaver 25's, I have two of those, my Levine has the same dimensions as my OR as does my Stetson 100 and Cavanagh 100 but no brim binding. Oh, the Mallory Dallas.

5. AND, that is the kicker......Stetson , it apears, was just as confused as we are!!;)
    Hmmmmmm, I wonder what it said on the sweat!o_O;)
    M

Redfokker and Bamaboots like this.
  6. alanfgag

alanfgag

Not sure that Stetson was confused... the pages shown are from the Western Ranch Outfitters catalog. I don't remember ever seeing a Stetson hat sweatband factory imprinted with Laloo, San Fran, Kingston or Rawlins. My guess is these raw edge Open Roads were identified in the catalog and not on the sweatband. Maybe they came with a piece of paper that referenced the model name from the catalog.

That said, I support your right to name your hat anything you want to name it.

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

And if you go through the OR thread you will find some of the earliest ones have a wide ribbon.

Redfokker, Michael R. and M Hatman like this.
  8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

True dat. But once you start crossing brands, all bets are off.

"Don't cross the streams, Ray!"

9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Then with that in hand, my undesignated 3X shall be called "Kevin."

10. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Totally agree but that kinda gets this thread back on track. How many times have we seen listings with "OR like, type, clone, just like LBJ wore" and such.

11. I think you missed the "tongue in cheek" nature of my post.

BUT, to add to what you said I have really never seen a model name imprinted on any Stetson western sweat outside the OR (that is past the 20's). I just got a mid 50's "Longhorn" model that had no labeling beyond the quality designation (in this case 3X Beaver) but it did come with the silver longhorn pin. A quick fellow lounger pointed me to the model name and even included an ad for it.
    This is true of many of their fedoras also, especially with the higher quality designation levels as has been often discussed here.......many a "Whippet" with the same specs but only labeled a Royal Deluxe or Stetson Twenty.......et al. But again, especially for the westerns it seems, MANY catalogue models with very few being identified as such on the hats...........
    Cheers,
    M

KarlCrow, Frunobulax and Bamaboots like this.
  12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

When I list hats, I take pains to not call it what it isn't. I think that's cost me a couple of bucks here and there, though.

13. alanfgag

alanfgag

14. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

i went for it, but decided to hold off. Never know wgat will show up next. definately a sweet score for someone

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

M Hatman and Michael R. like this.
  15. Levallois

Levallois Practically Family

[​IMG]
    Here you go Bob. Didn’t have time to dress better.

16. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

Looks like a Nice Hat @Levallois . Looks good on you too .

Desert dog and M Hatman like this.
  17. A cool ad I just picked up that lists differant Stetson western models from 1948.....LOVE this art.....
    M
    That is a nice hat!!
    M

Michael R. and splintercellsz like this.
  18. Somehow I deleted my post of this ad......love the art! 1948....goes with our earlier discussions.....
    M
    s-l1600 (70).jpg

19. Looks great on you! Now I'm even more envious...

M Hatman and Michael R. like this.