Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ccorsair

ccorsair One of the Regulars

So, I have been watching this hat for a month or more. I have seen it marked down in price and not sell then it relisted a few times.
    Now it sold for it's original asking price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Early-50-039-s-Adam-Premier-Dk-Grey-Fedora-Sz-7-1-2-Back-Bow-EUC-/112549287960?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=HDCxKecrqQXtQMmLZrLVRiA1L3k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have been watching this hat as I have same make but in brown. It was one of my first buy for a vintage hat but I paid way less.
    What makes this one worth more? Funny the shipping is far less than hats that gotten with my state too.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

That is were is my wallet pain.

Bob Roberts and Michael R. like this.
  3. These are part of the mysteries of ebay......the shipping on this one is cheep.....will cost more to ship....as far as price....who knows othe than now we are moving well into felt weather......straws will be cheaper now......the buyer basicaly bought a stand out cool vintage for the same price of a new production and got a super deal on shipping to boot!! Yours could probebly sell for much the same now......as this offering was my size, I may have been interested if I did not already own a grey Lee water block ( with a little wider brim) as well as a simular brown Royal Deluxe Stetson. Price also GREATLY increases on the bigger sizes (7 3/8 and on up).
    All this says........know one really knows......the market is strange sometimes.
    Cheers,
    M

Michael R. likes this.
  4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

seems like a bit of a shady situation to me ... I don't think anyone would pay that price for that hat ... who knows really ... but I highly doubt it

Michael R. likes this.
  5. Levallois

Levallois Practically Family

Got this one for a reasonable price. Dates to between 1956 and 1964. Size 7 1/2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Looks like you did Gooooooooddddd! Can you get a close up of the sweat markings and the tip art?
    Really looks nice.......
    M

7. Levallois

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for the encouraging comments. Here are a couple more photos. I don’t know what tip art is?

8. Good get! It hurts a bit that it is my size and I didn't find it, but I'm happy you did. Looking forward to seeing it on your head.

Michael R. and M Hatman like this.
  9. 25B

25B Suspended

The liner.

Not an “Open Road” model then...interesting...

10. Levallois

Ah, the liner! Don't have a good photo of that - it's the embroidered "last drop" with clear plastic over it. I'll try to get a good photo of it.

I was surprised that no one bid against me on this hat! I did have to ask the seller if it was a 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 as it wasn't clear so maybe folks though it was a 6 1/2?

[​IMG]

Michael R., rclark and M Hatman like this.
  11. alanfgag

alanfgag

A 6 1/2 would have been very rare and expensive. ;^)

12. alanfgag

alanfgag

I 'spect it's similar to this. Good fishin'

[​IMG]

13. alanfgag

alanfgag

It's a western hat, not Open Road style, though there were many hats with OR construction and dimensions that were sold without that style moniker imprint.

Michael R., M Hatman and Desert dog like this.
  14. PLUS ONE!!! My size too!!
    Plus it looks to be in incredible shape!!!
    M

Michael R. likes this.
  15. Levallois

That's it exactly.

16. Levallois

It's definitely one of the least used hats I've gotten off ebay.

M Hatman likes this.
  17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yeah, I have two "Open Roads," though only one says it. But I still call the other an OR.

Similarly, my San Antonio doesn't have the name, but was made on the same block and has the same dimensions as those which do.

Seems I've read a lively debate over in the OR thread on this subject. Where do you weigh in?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Michael R. likes this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

By that token, if you get the sweat replaced, it's no longer an OR. Plus, the one I do have that says it's an OR has a 3 1/4" brim.

19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Jim, the RD OR I wore yesterday has a 2 3/4" brim and the 25 with no designation has the exact same dimensions.

Michael R. and M Hatman like this.
  20. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I think it's a fair argument to make that, if it doesn't say "Open Road" it might not be one, but I don't hold that position. Dimensions are a hard call with ORs, since they're not all the same. Some ORs have more brim than others, some have different crown heights over the years. There is a lot open to interpretation.

Resistol had the SA, the Dalworth, and I think another Texas city as well (Dallas? I forget). The discussion on those, I believe contained the tidbit that they all used the same block and had the same dimensions.

As with so many other hat discussions, it seems it's tough to reach a solid conclusion.

Hat stuff be whack. And I love it gives us something to argue about!