Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

The shipping cost was 50% more than the price of the hat! The seller agreed to cut the shipping by 75% and this stingy brim Dobbs in 7 5/8 is now on its way to me. It never hurts to ask sellers to lower their prices; the worst they can say is "no."

9db25d7e9d22b53957fb342ff1924083.jpg

2b588ca74a2b0cc90896cbd10514a5bf.jpg

e9b7e18694d1427bede9fb529ef98048.jpg

c42c9e09ea8f760755cd8a33af3378f1.jpg

I really wasn't in the market for another stingy brim but a 2 1/4" brim is an in between size and the condition of this hat made it too hard to pass on...the low price helped too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The shipping cost was 50% more than the price of the hat! The seller agreed to cut the shipping by 75% and this stingy brim Dobbs in 7 5/8 is now on its way to me. It never hurts to ask sellers to lower their prices; the worst they can say is "no."

I really wasn't in the market for another stingy brim but a 2 1/4" brim is an in between size and the condition of this hat made it too hard to pass on...the low price helped too.

gratz!

Nice, open crown is a plus. Sometimes I wonder if sellers just let eBay set their shipping costs. The calculator is all screwed up.

Nice, open crown is a plus. Sometimes I wonder if sellers just let eBay set their shipping costs. The calculator is all screwed up.

More than once I've had seller's tell me they had no idea their listing had $60 shipping. Sometimes it's done as a way to get around eBay fees, sometimes it's just an oversight, and when I sell I never let eBay set my shipping costs.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Two gripes I have with eBay:
  1. Color rendering. As a photographer, I'm particular that color rendering is done correctly. Frequently, I see black hats that look blue, brown hats that appear grey, grey hats that seem brown, etc. I've been looking for a specific color, and I just can't tell by looking at most of them!
  2. The word "vintage" being applied to brand new hats. Obviously, the seller hasn't a clue as to what "vintage" means.

1. Color rendering. As a photographer, I'm particular that color rendering is done correctly. Frequently, I see black hats that look blue, brown hats that appear grey, grey hats that seem brown, etc. I've been looking for a specific color, and I just can't tell by looking at most of them!
  2. The word "vintage" being applied to brand new hats. Obviously, the seller hasn't a clue as to what "vintage" means.

Can I add the use of the word "mint" and then showing items with obvious wear.

Well, most eBay sellers aren't professional photographers so you won't get accurate renderings for the most part. You have to realize this is an everyman's marketplace and you're usually not dealing with professionals.

Besides, most of my good gets were from folks who didn't know what they had and listed incorrectly or posted a low-ball BIN on something that would garner much more. I happily snap those up.

Ran across a particular item last night going foe under $200 that would likely get over $500 if it were listed properly. Almost bought it just so I could relist it.

Edit: just went back and checked. Looks like it went to a Lounger.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Update: the hat has arrived, and unfortunately the hat does not suit my face. It is also a tad bit big, would you believe it? What a shame, this hat is a quality piece for sure. Oh well, hopefully Miami will accept a return.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
they put "vintage" to get hits ... not unlike the way sellers put "whippet" in a title when they hat has absolutely nothing to do with anything remotely related to a Stetson Whippet

Update: the hat has arrived, and unfortunately the hat does not suit my face. It is also a tad bit big, would you believe it? What a shame, this hat is a quality piece for sure. Oh well, hopefully Miami will accept a return.

The risks of buying vintage on line. Unless it was misrepresented, I never ask to return them unless that is a service the seller officers and even them the cost of shipping is the buyer’s so better to just re-sell the hat.

If it’s just a little too big you can add shims for a perfect fit.

As for the proportions of the hat being too large, keep the hat and see how you feel in a few months. A lot of us are not comfortable in tall crown and big brimmed hats at first only to later decide that is our favorite style. Don’t trust yourself to evaluate the style yet: we are always hard on ourselves when there is a big change involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points