Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Brent. I'm probably too accustomed to getting hats in my size cheap. Lesson learned.

2. ofcoursemyhorse

ofcoursemyhorse Practically Family

I'm innocent on the borsalino. I did scoop that select quality with the black/purple liner. And I would have no issue with international shipping your way.

steur, Redfokker and drmaxtejeda like this.
  3. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I was gonna buy that one, but then I noticed it was too small for me. You gotta get yourself a brother-in-law who lives in the US, Stefan.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

You could give Mike's address as your alternate shipping address, Stefan. You can control who it's sent to when you pay. That's what I do with my long-suffering brother-in-law, Juan Carlos.
    Then, when you exchange hats as you normally do, he can send them all together, although a little squashed. A little steam, and voilá!

steur and Redfokker like this.
  5. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Just won/sniped this Dobbs Gay Prince that doesn't have the "Gay Prince" marking.
    Is it because it is it is from before/after they were marked as Gay Princes?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

bowlerman, DOGMAN, M Hatman and 15 others like this.
  6. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes One Too Many

Looks like it's from the 50s. Don't know when the "Gay Prince" started or stopped being made.

7. Redfokker

Redfokker

This has worked out well for us. I am more than willing to help out other Loungers in the same way. Shipping is going up here in the US, not sure about international rates.

The details on a Gay Prince are so pronounced. I was interested in the "Twenty" designation, I always pictured this model as a lower end model for weekend casual wear.

8. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I have other, similar felts, Mike. Suede finish, all of them. Really nice.

9. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

Afraid I'm the culprit, Stefan. Will post detailed photos if the seller is willing to ship to the states. Haven't heard back yet.

Steve was able to find some info on the retailer:

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/111-ferd-meister-nürnberg/

DOGMAN, Tukwila and steur like this.
  10. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Practically Family

Very beautiful. Someone needs to explain to hat 4 1/2 size tag to me though.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

steur likes this.
  11. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Practically Family

Is it from Columbia? Someone very recently posted a hat much like that aimed at the market South of the Rio Grande. Maybe they can pipe in because I cant recall the details.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

12. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Colombia, the country, is spelled with an O. I have never seen the word or name Columbia in something that wasn't from the USA, so I looked it up right now. Wikipedia says "Columbia is a New Latin toponym in use since the 1730s for the Thirteen Colonies". No wonder then, huh?
    BTW, for those who didn't know it, Latin Americans refer to US citizens as "Estadounidenses"or sometimes "Norteamericanos", to avoid confusion. To them, all of the citizens of every country in America (the continent) is an "Americano". One time, when I said I was American, I was told I might as well call myself an earthling.

DOGMAN, M Hatman, jlee562 and 4 others like this.
  13. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

My lounge-brothers live all over the world, Max.

M Hatman, Redfokker, Tukwila and 3 others like this.
  14. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Sometimes that's an option, Max. And Mike @Redfokker has been kind enough several times to let me use his address. But some sellers won't allow any bidding at all from foreign buyers.

Redfokker and drmaxtejeda like this.
  15. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

A relief to see it go to a good home at least. Kind of expected that it would be of interest to you, Garrett. Your laser-vision for spotting those hats still works (damn)!:)

DOGMAN and Redfokker like this.
  16. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Borsalino used the French sizing system (Guiseppe Borsalino was schooled in France after all), so the 4 1/2 is a size 56. Borsalino did use other sizing systems for foreign markets as well though. The Borsalinos for the American market use the American sizing.

17. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Some of the conversion charts I’ve seen have given slightly different values:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Just bought this Oviatt's Borsalino. It's not as nice as my other one, but I think it will clean up nicely, and it was only $150...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Fair price I would think, but I'm more of a $15 hat guy. :rolleyes:

Going back to the porch now...

[​IMG]

20. Just Daniel

Just Daniel A-List Customer

I find only really old crabby guys still worry about the “Americano” thing, I always laugh heartily at or with them given that even Canadians and Mexicans call us Americanos :)

Hat and Rehat and deadlyhandsome like this.