Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
The seller had a 100% positive rating with over 2,000 reviews. Hmmm.

a55cca63491995b32beab05a899fb0eb.jpg

362f263291c1c1c3edf596f4d3bd4f99.jpg

159160099382e7eab83070f54e15a758.jpg

b5ddc736f97dd629581b572bb2bfb687.jpg

e60d9449b5794845b274739ebffde9f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looks to me like you’ll be getting a free hat if he has any sense!!
Or you could knock him down to 99.95%.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
G'day mate:
IMG_1375.jpg IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1377.jpg

Taking another bit of chance as these seller pics aren't the greatest. If the lack of TFL references means anything (there are only a few) this Cockatoo 1035 model is somewhat of a rare bird. Supposed to be sage green in color, and I found one Internet reference listing the brim width as 3".

I asked the seller last night about the brim as well as overall size (can't tell if it's 58 or 59 from the pics) but didn't get a response. Woke up once in the middle of the night to check for response and still crickets this morning (although not surprising since it's located in CA). Couldn't wait any longer since there was one bid placed this morning, so I BIN'd it while I still could.

G'day mate:
View attachment 178394 View attachment 178395 View attachment 178396

Taking another bit of chance as these seller pics aren't the greatest. If the lack of TFL references means anything (there are only a few) this Cockatoo 1035 model is somewhat of a rare bird. Supposed to be sage green in color, and I found one Internet reference listing the brim width as 3".

I asked the seller last night about the brim as well as overall size (can't tell if it's 58 or 59 from the pics) but didn't get a response. Woke up once in the middle of the night to check for response and still crickets this morning (although not surprising since it's located in CA). Couldn't wait any longer since there was one bid placed this morning, so I BIN'd it while I still could.
Looks like a 59 to me. Stark & Legum, Norfolk, VA.

I thought once a bid had been entered a BIN price cancelled out. Has that been changed?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Looks like a 59 to me. Stark & Legum, Norfolk, VA.

I thought once a bid had been entered a BIN price cancelled out. Has that been changed?

I'm leaning towards 59 as well, which is good since there seems to be the sentiment around that it's better to go on the higher side when sizing for Akubra. I've passed on 58s in the past because of this.

Regarding the BIN, I thought that was the case as well. I've seen a few auctions recently, however, where there was a minimum opening bid but still a BIN option, only to later see the BIN disappear later. I didn't know if it got cancelled after multiple bids, a certain lapse of time, a certain bid amount threshold, etc. Here's what I just found from eBay's page:

When you add a Buy It Now option to auction-style listings, buyers can either purchase your item right away at the Buy It Now price, or place a bid. In most categories, the Buy It Now price has to be at least 30% higher than the auction price.

The Buy It Now price is available only until someone bids on the item or until the reserve price is met.
So perhaps the reserve price hadn't been met? I don't recall seeing a "Reserve Not Met" on the listing, however, so I guess I'm still a bit confused.

Also, here's an excerpt from the Community pages:

In some categories, the Buy It Now option is available until bids reach or exceed 50% of the Buy It Now price:
  • Cell Phones & Accessories
  • Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
  • Motors Parts & Accessories
  • Tickets
This, however, shouldn't have been the case because the minimum opening bid was greater than 50% BIN, so it should have disappeared. (The delta between minimum opening bid and BIN was virtually negligible, I think $12.)

If I done somebody wrong and there's sour grapes I'm more than happy to make it right by selling it for what I paid. The BIN price was a steal in my opinion, hence why I pulled the trigger.

I purchased a Resistol several years ago this way. A few folks had bid and the BIN wasn't far above the current bid, so I just went ahead and got it. I have no idea how to set it up that way, though.

I think that the it’s set up where the BIN price has to be ...30%? more than the opening bid or ebay won’t let you finalize the auction. Conversely, once a bid gets within the threshold...30%? of the BIN price the BIN option disappears. This is just a guess based on my observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It may be a good strategy when working with an eBay auction to pretend that a hat is less valuable to you than it is. But once the auction is ended, the opposite strategy should be employed. I always send a message to the seller with payment "many thanks in advance for careful packaging and shipping of this great old hat." Sellers are generally anxious to get good reviews and ratings from their happy customers. Let them know clearly what will make you happy and they will likely oblige.

J Williams

Practically Family
Aaaarrgggghhhh. Bought this absolutley pristine Stetson 25 Open Road and this is how it arrives. Squashed in a box with no wrapping or support. Hopefully I can steam this back to life as it's a gorgeous hat that otherwise looks brand new. View attachment 178442 View attachment 178443

Oh man that's a bummer, again I almost bought that hat but ended up buying another one from the same seller. It definitely looked pretty pristine before it was shipped. The one I bought had the original box but this isn't very encouraging.

Aaaarrgggghhhh. Bought this absolutley pristine Stetson 25 Open Road and this is how it arrives. Squashed in a box with no wrapping or support. Hopefully I can steam this back to life as it's a gorgeous hat that otherwise looks brand new. View attachment 178442 View attachment 178443
I wouldn't worry about that one, Ken. Give it a good steaming and it will go right back to its shape. Great find, but poor packaging!

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
I wouldn't worry about that one, Ken. Give it a good steaming and it will go right back to its shape. Great find, but poor packaging!
Yes, it will. I brushed it out and gave it a quick steam to open it up. Sitting on a hat block till I get time to shape it up. Alan had a good idea to always message the ebay seller once you win the auction to ensure its packed appropriately. Fellow lounge members all know how important this simple step is to pack such a precious piece of history and it's always a shock to see how little some ebay sellers care. :(:eek:

I haven't spent much time thumbing through eBay recently - what a wonderful collection of unusual stuff has accumulated there in my absence. 400 thread count monticristis, "Stack" Hats by Borsalino with Cavanaugh edges, lots of all beaver 1940s Stratoliners and Borsalinos and 1930s boaters in the original 1960s box. High early bidding too. I forgot how much fun window shopping can be. I do miss the old popcorn emoticon, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points