Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

My second C&K
1b96435d8a00a8e62dba8114a556dd69.jpg
eecc3e8372972812ded3eeec3efc5f5e.jpg
2d62b8c33de492db703360369fd2b85c.jpg
43a6dc5d6cd0940cfbcc43a696e0b329.jpg
4b6ad3cfdb0a923a1eba84e1010da52d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Congrats, Max. That is a great find!

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I was staying with friends a few years ago, and discovered their cat came into my room and pissed all over my white silk polo shirt. I told them later I was sorely tempted to throw that damnable creature out the window of their 7th floor condo. Luckily, soaking in oxiclean and woolite a couple times saved the shirt.
I like cats. We don't own one now, but have owned several over the years. I've known them to sense dislike from someone and respond with a "piss on you", albeit indirectly, through their clothing.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I've learned more about hats here, at the Lounge, than any other single source. I had already become a hat lover before internet search after search with hat questions brought me to a Fedora Lounge thread.
Before that I watched a lot of hat video on YouTube. There's a very prolific YouTube personality named Kevin from JJ Hat Center in New York. He cleans, hand blocks and shapes customer's hats at JJ with the camera on, and running dialog, and also does some videos from his apartment. I don't believe he is a hatter. He's more of a hat shaper, and probably also a front counter salesman at JJ.
In a video he did about sweatbands and liners he flips sweats and pulls liners out with great aplomb, claiming liners should come out in the summer to keep your head cooler.
I won't say he never steered me wrong. I learned the hard way that flipping vintage sweatbands is NOT something you do casually. But the liner removal makes sense to me and I've been doing it for a while, but not on rare collectable hats.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
An unlined, lightweight fur felt lid is awesome. I have a sweet Champ so designed. It's also why I had my bshw lid made that way, with aeration venting... an idea taken from a vintage Playboy owned by @splintercellsz View attachment 186162
That's a beauty, Doug! It looks like the Coolvent must be a standard option at BSHW judging by the stamp.

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I've learned more about hats here, at the Lounge, than any other single source... There's a very prolific YouTube personality named Kevin from JJ Hat Center in New York. He cleans, hand blocks and shapes customer's hats at JJ with the camera on, and running dialog, and also does some videos from his apartment...

I watch Kevin's videos from time to time. There is some useful information embedded within his rambling monologues, and he's pretty entertaining.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I watch Kevin's videos from time to time. There is some useful information embedded within his rambling monologues, and he's pretty entertaining.
He seems to have a large following, and I've learned things from him.
I had laugh though one time when I saw some discussion of gas bath cleaning someplace. I believe it was in a comments section, but not on one of his youtubes. He entered the discussion and was aghast that anyone would wash their hat in chemicals!
I had read SHF&R, and was surprised he didn't know that it used to be done all the time.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I've learned more about hats here, at the Lounge, than any other single source. I had already become a hat lover before internet search after search with hat questions brought me to a Fedora Lounge thread.
Before that I watched a lot of hat video on YouTube. There's a very prolific YouTube personality named Kevin from JJ Hat Center in New York. He cleans, hand blocks and shapes customer's hats at JJ with the camera on, and running dialog, and also does some videos from his apartment. I don't believe he is a hatter. He's more of a hat shaper, and probably also a front counter salesman at JJ.
In a video he did about sweatbands and liners he flips sweats and pulls liners out with great aplomb, claiming liners should come out in the summer to keep your head cooler.
I won't say he never steered me wrong. I learned the hard way that flipping vintage sweatbands is NOT something you do casually. But the liner removal makes sense to me and I've been doing it for a while, but not on rare collectable hats.

Ha ha, I watch that guy too. He is definitely entertaining and his shop looks amazing.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He seems to have a large following, and I've learned things from him.
I had laugh though one time when I saw some discussion of gas bath cleaning someplace. I believe it was in a comments section, but not on one of his youtubes. He entered the discussion and was aghast that anyone would wash their hat in chemicals!
I had read SHF&R, and was surprised he didn't know that it used to be done all the time.

Naphtha was used in all kinds of so called dry cleaning methods. Where does he think the process came from?

I 've seen other hatters on facebook say similar things, how they'd never use gas to clean a fine hat....

dkstott

Practically Family
Well, the hat arrived. It's an Adventurer instead of a Stylemaster & it's the same color as my Acorn Fawn Stylemaster. The size label reads 59, but it's way too small for me.

Just contacted the seller and it's going back.

This Akubra is on its way to me, picked it up for $40. It was listed as a Stylemaster. The light brown color & red hat liner intrigued me.
d544d776f3c9e8c70f634072c07dc959.jpg
eb88a4cefbe10357215efdc6a351fa9b.jpg
09528877ce20c2bdc338b8e7d3d24143.jpg
bf5fd48f5a9f9bdf49fb4435bba4df70.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I think about $145 more than they’ve been selling for over the last year, plus or minus - at least definitely higher than average.

Much more than what you can find every couple of months on a BIN from a not so knowledgeable seller.

That 1/4 will sometimes make a big difference. Though a later 7X, it has all the bells and whistles. All are not labeled Open Road on the sweat.

Much more than what you can find every couple of months on a BIN from a not so knowledgeable seller.

That 1/4 will sometimes make a big difference. Though a later 7X, it has all the bells and whistles. All are not labeled Open Road on the sweat.
I agree although I wouldn't consider 1958 a later 7XCB OR. And to a collector the original shipping box with meter postage adds value I want. I have a Resistol with original Shudde Bros shipping box & meter postage of $1.05 from 1968, Ten yrs later than this one. Worth having it double boxed for shipping too.

Someone who wants to keep it, not resell it.
That’s a damn fine hat with provenance which is hard to find. Like Bama said all the bells and whistles. I have one with a 1963 stamp on the back of the sweat. It’s a hell of a good hat.
Pretty sure a lounger that doesn’t post much bought it.
B
Exactly. If you look at the bid history there were 30 bids by 10 bidders. All the newbies nickel & dime bid all wk. The winner bid just once. It wasn't like he got caught up in the heat of the moment. He knew this particular hat was worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo