Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Thanks, Joe! Yeah, my Grandpa’s name on my Mother’s side was William Henry Watterson, and with my middle name I was named after him, so it’s prettty cool to get this fedora. I have some pics of him as a young married man wearing a nice looking early 40s Stetson fedora.
He and his wife, my grandma, became my best friends late in their long, blessed lives.
Very cool... very special. A treasure indeed for you.

Yeah, sorry for the misinformation.
I meant to type, Whippet. It was a serious beaut! If I won, which I didn’t much think I would, I had planned on selling two decent hats out of my collection to pay for it. Would’ve been a decent trade off.
HAS makes you think crazy thoughts.
I’m still regretting the Fort Worth. How many of those are floating around in mint condition?
I’ll let you all know how the Executive fits when it arrives.
Judging from the pictures it looked to me like a 7 and 2/8s. I trust this seller... :)

The best part about a Whippet is you can sell them and get 2-4 hats of better quality with your profits. Honestly, they are nice hats, but I just don’t get the crazy prices for what was one of the cheaper hats of its day. The Japanese drive part of the market, but still!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I won this Sisal Stetson for 45 dollars. No other bidders. I like Sisal, and this one looks a lot like the one my uncle Beryl used to wear.
20200506_115210.jpg
20200506_115145.jpg
20200506_115130.jpg
20200506_115244.jpg
20200506_115317.jpg
20200506_115254.jpg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I didn't go for that one because, though the size was listed as 7 1/4, there was no evidence and no measurements given. I hope it fits. Especially with that 2 6/8" brim!

And if I read you right, a Playboy went for $266?

I said I would let you guys know how the Adam Executive turned out.
Well, it was a no go...but size wasn’t the issue. Remember the post where I jokingly said, “I trust this seller” ?
Joke’s on me.
The seller said in description that the photos show hats condition, but that was far from true. In the pics the sweat was in great shape, but upon opening the box it was terribly ripped and cracked ALL the way round!
Didn’t happen during shipment either because the seller sent it in a boxed hat box with both in good condition.
Then there was a huge moth divot
on the underside brim that was conveniently clipped out of the photo shot.
Oh well. The seller offers returns and refunds so I’ve sent him a message that shouldn’t spark contention, but one that should get this resolved.
The worst thing is not getting a hat that matched my Grandpa’s initials.
Looks like I’m back on the hunt for an Adam Executive.
When it comes to the Bay you can’t win ‘em all.
And anyway, the hunt is part of the pleasure, right guys?

Well, it was a no go...but size wasn’t the issue. Remember the post where I jokingly said, “I trust this seller” ?
Joke’s on me.
The seller said in description that the photos show hats condition, but that was far from true. In the pics the sweat was in great shape, but upon opening the box it was terribly ripped and cracked ALL the way round!
Didn’t happen during shipment either because the seller sent it in a boxed hat box with both in good condition.
Oh well. The seller offers returns and refunds so I’ve sent him a message that shouldn’t spark contention, but one that should get this resolved.
Ah man.. I’m sorry to hear that.

Joke’s on me.

Bummer. I hope you don’t use the seller’s return policy, but rather start a return through eBay as it arrived in a condition other than how described and photographed. The seller should pay for shipping both ways and return you the selling price.

Joke’s on me.

That bites. Vintage Adam hats, (pre-60s) just don't seem to turn up. You'd think there would be a bunch out there.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
That bites. Vintage Adam hats, (pre-60s) just don't seem to turn up. You'd think there would be a bunch out there.

Update: seller offered a full refund and said to keep the hat. Said he didn’t mean to be misleading about the hat’s condition. Whatever.
Looks like I’m the owner of a free Adam Executive with moth damage and a cracked and ripped sweat.
All of a sudden it looks a bit better, even before I start fixing it up a bit.

Update: seller offered a full refund and said to keep the hat. Said he didn’t mean to be misleading about the hat’s condition. Whatever.
Looks like I’m the owner of a free Adam Executive with moth damage and a cracked and ripped sweat.

If NOTHING ELSE, you can hang it on the wall and make up great adventure stories of your grandfather, all while he was wearing THE hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
AND show them the initials to prove it!!!!:eek::rolleyes:;)

Heck yeah. I was hoping it might work out that way.

Borsalino Velour Forty. Since I can't find vintage velors of the quality of Steve"s @mayserwegener , I have to make do with these.
Besides, the seller offered it to me at near half his sale price.
It looks a lot like a Borsalino Edizione Speciale that @Daniele Tanto sold me some months ago, except this one is dark green, and Daniele's is black. View attachment 233386 View attachment 233387 View attachment 233388 View attachment 233389 View attachment 233390 View attachment 233391 View attachment 233392
It may not have the proportions you're looking for (or the brand), but I think that will be a perfect petting hat nonetheless, Max.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
I've been feeling a little out of sorts recently. This whole work at home, the wife works at home, the creeping crud is on the loose and if you touch the mail box and then pick your nose you might die horribly, weather sucks, just a little bit of everything was getting me down so I'd better buy a hat to cheer me up.
I don't know why but this Knox just kind of said Buy Me so I did.
It wasn't very expensive and who knows, it might just fit perfectly.
knoxfedora.jpg
knoxfedora2.jpg
knoxfedora1.jpg

I've been feeling a little out of sorts recently. This whole work at home, the wife works at home, the creeping crud is on the loose and if you touch the mail box and then pick your nose you might die horribly, weather sucks, just a little bit of everything was getting me down so I'd better buy a hat to cheer me up.
I don't know why but this Knox just kind of said Buy Me so I did.
It wasn't very expensive and who knows, it might just fit perfectly. View attachment 233595 View attachment 233598 View attachment 233599
And it’s a nice looking hat

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Update on the update:
Seller sent refund and another message saying they represented the hat correctly. Judge both my photos and the sellers pics together and make your own evaluation.
Like I said, I can no longer much care, I have a free Adam!

You know, I looked at it and I thought "that's a Blare hat" from your 30 hats in 30 days series. I like the way it kicks up in the back so take my pennies and make me happy!
Haha! Sounds good! I’m the same way. A couple cheap hats here and there helped keep my sanity

Update on the update:
Seller sent refund and another message saying they represented the hat correctly. Judge both my photos and the sellers pics together and make your own evaluation. You can also see the “forgotten” single moth hole in one of my pics.
Like I said, I can no longer much care, I have a free Adam! View attachment 233617 View attachment 233615 View attachment 233616
I think you had said you bid a pretty penny for it so I assume it’s a mess compared to what you thought you were getting. But that all changes at free. Definitely wearable. And your granddaddy’s initials. You grabbed a victory from the jaws of defeat grabbed from the jaws of victory. Enjoy my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21