Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Very nice.

Gentlemen and Ladies,

It's been at least five years since I logged into this forum. And it's been about ten years since I saw an unblocked Montecristi in this thread and set an ebay alert. But this morning, I was able to win this amazing hat on eBay. I am over the moon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-WEAVE-MONTECRISTI-SOMBRERO-STRAW-HAT-ECUADOR-/274447283996?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=ucGlvQ8cyy7Y6h2at9sBUWhcLlk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I'll post more pics when it arrives...

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen and Ladies,

It's been at least five years since I logged into this forum. And it's been about ten years since I saw an unblocked Montecristi in this thread and set an ebay alert. But this morning, I was able to win this amazing hat on eBay. I am over the moon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-WEAVE-MONTECRISTI-SOMBRERO-STRAW-HAT-ECUADOR-/274447283996?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=ucGlvQ8cyy7Y6h2at9sBUWhcLlk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

B

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
One ebay "gripe" I have had is that I wsh ebay would make a special category for vintage fedoras instead of just "men's hats." I am so tired of sifting thru 300 baseball caps all the time.

I just traded off my @humanshoes rounding jack and had some seller’s remorse. I hadn’t used it in months and didn’t have much use for it, but it’s a nice piece of kit and my first purchase from Rick.

Today I found this on eBay and now it’s on its way to me. Things seem to work out.

033C2B2C-7CFF-4B37-954E-BB3D3B3AF861.jpeg
671F5E11-15FF-429B-8952-5CEB09ED3ADD.jpeg
2F6CF1C0-A459-43F5-884C-3051BA42A65A.jpeg
2302DD99-BECC-4E2F-86CE-75DBCF27BF50.jpeg

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gentlemen and Ladies,

Please post pictures when you get it blocked.

One ebay "gripe" I have had is that I wsh ebay would make a special category for vintage fedoras instead of just "men's hats." I am so tired of sifting thru 300 baseball caps all the time.

I feel like I’m not understanding your gripe. You can use the menus and select fedora under type of hat. You will miss out on hats that aren’t listed accurately, but for both vintage and non-vintage you can specify “fedora” or any other type(s) of hats you’re interested in.

My point is, for sellers ebay does not have a category called "men's fedoras." Or even just "fedoras." The category is "men's hats." And "men's hats" is too broad.

Are you just doing one search? Personally, I have about 75 saved searches. From "Fedora" in Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Specialty >Vintage > Vintage Accessories > Men's Hats, to "Stetson Stratoliner" where I cast a wider net, but provide more specificity in what I'm looking for. There are several in between, as well.

My point is, for sellers ebay does not have a category called "men's fedoras." Or even just "fedoras." The category is "men's hats." And "men's hats" is too broad.

Yes, but when you list a hat for sale you get to select the type including fedora. When buyers search and they refine the search to fedoras they don’t see ball caps unless the seller wrongly marked the “fedora” box. As Jim stated, you do have to choose between men’s accessories and vintage men’s accessories accessories. My saved searches include all the places a hat might be hiding.

Yes, but when you list a hat for sale you get to select the type including fedora. When buyers search and they refine the search to fedoras they don’t see ball caps unless the seller wrongly marked the “fedora” box. As Jim stated, you do have to choose between men’s accessories and vintage men’s accessories accessories. My saved searches include all the places a hat might be hiding.

And sometimes they are in the weirdest places. My go-to anecdote is the 50s Stetson 3X dress hat I found in "Mantle Clocks > 1930s - 1960s." When I find something like that, and note where it's miscategorized, I know my odds of getting it just went up.

And sometimes they are in the weirdest places. My go-to anecdote is the 50s Stetson 3X dress hat I found in "Mantle Clocks > 1930s - 1960s." When I find something like that, and note where it's miscategorized, I know my odds of getting it just went up.

Oh yeah! I have 200 (the maximum allowed) saved searches and I still “manually” scrounge around ebay. I’ve found hats listed as antiques, costumes, etc. I also try misspellings: Borsolino and Cavanaugh are common. I also look at women’s hats as they are sometimes wrongly listed there too. Some real gems are hidden if you dig deep and put in the hours.

Oh yeah! I have 200 (the maximum allowed) saved searches and I still “manually” scrounge around ebay. I’ve found hats listed as antiques, costumes, etc. I also try misspellings: Borsolino and Cavanaugh are common. I also look at women’s hats as they are sometimes wrongly listed there too. Some real gems are hidden if you dig deep and put in the hours.

I don't do as much excavating as I used to, but that's where the good deals are.

I just traded off my @humanshoes rounding jack and had some seller’s remorse. I hadn’t used it in months and didn’t have much use for it, but it’s a nice piece of kit and my first purchase from Rick.

Today I found this on eBay and now it’s on its way to me. Things seem to work out.

View attachment 252973 View attachment 252974 View attachment 252975 View attachment 252976
That's a cool find of a tool collection, Brent. Best hang on to them this time!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A near miss:
View attachment 253133

Anyone snag this about a week and a half ago? It was listed BIN for all of five minutes. I was completing the checkout page, clicked the button to submit payment, and when the window refreshed it said the item was out of stock and no longer available.

Oh man I feel your pain sir. Truly a moment of sadness.

Fortunately I do have a Beachcomer on my hat rack. The hat is unique. I hope the new owner appreciates this vintage treasure. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ns-pugs-leather-etc.62249/page-9#post-2085067

Onward vintage hat searches and inquiries, Eric -

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Guilty on this one.

The BIN in less than two minutes I think. It’s still on its way, currently FedEx from my myus.com reshipper.

I am a huge fan of these 40s Royal Stetson DeLuxe hats!

A near miss:
View attachment 253133

Anyone snag this about a week and a half ago? It was listed BIN for all of five minutes. I was completing the checkout page, clicked the button to submit payment, and when the window refreshed it said the item was out of stock and no longer available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21