Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I Was speculating on that one with @Randall Renshaw My initial impression was it was two hats stuck together and might be a little jackpot. But that pug was telling us something Goofy might be going on. Like maybe someone cut the crown off another hat and layered it on top then placed the pug to cover the seam. Interestingly There is a 1962 patent on a double brim hat process. But it doesn’t look like that. For some reason I thought it belonged to HCA
75B34BE2-B355-4F0E-8A06-5B7D8EA499C9.png

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
That is exactly what I thought when I saw that........pretty funny if that turns out to be true.....that is if the buyer is from here and shares that info......

Sounds like Art made something similar years ago but the pictures are lost due to broken links:

I Was speculating on that one with @Randall Renshaw My initial impression was it was two hats stuck together and might be a little jackpot. But that pug was telling us something Goofy might be going on. Like maybe someone cut the crown off another hat and layered it on top then placed the pug to cover the seam. Interestingly There is a 1962 patent on a double brim hat process. But it doesn’t look like that. For some reason I thought it belonged to HCA
View attachment 250238

There had been one of these folded over double brim hats listed on eBay for quite a while. Not sure if it's still there or not.

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Shoot, it almost looks like two hats stacked in the one pic. If so, I could have kept the 7 1/4 on the bottom and sent the top one to you!

I also wonder if that pug/ribbon is original.
I would not be too quick to think this hat was messed with by an owner. There is a small tradition of hats made for the tropics that are two felts sandwiched together. The concept was that in the heat of the tropics or the jungles, the upper layer would take all the heat, but the inner layer would stay cooler because it is not directly exposed to the sun. I don't think they are very common and I really can't say that is what this hat is. But I know they exist.

Will do. I’m really looking for a 7 3/4 long oval 6” #52...and maybe a #51 and a #81.
In my way of trying to save a few bucks I ordered a block that is straight sided, slightly rounded but ONLY about 3" high. I cut two ovals to match out of 2x8" lumber (fir) and finished it with a belt sander. I then attached it with a thin layer of painter's tape and then a layer of thin duct tape. It works and I get blocks that save me It saves me $100 each. It ain't real pretty but it works! It gives me straight sided blocks 6" high and I can lower it 1 1/2" if I want to make a lower crowned ladies hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner