Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I had seen this sweet looking Lee pop up at a really great price. But I had my eye on two other hats so I was kinda putting it off. After Both @Garrett and @Randall Renshaw Messaged me about this one... HAS kicked in and I could not resist any longer. Turns out it was from the same guy I bought my Dobbs Gay prince from last year. He graciously accepted my offer and it is on its way. Thanks for thinking of me guys!

51F56D26-754E-402F-BCD7-9FE138F142C8.png
9CDEDDC8-29D2-4DFD-B40C-CAF7F9290700.png
C8E93F5D-C1DC-4F7E-92B5-9F5C5D05566C.jpeg

Oh and btw... the other two are still to come.

Oh! Yes, I see it. It is from a Lounger. It's been there a long time. I don't think he will sell it at that price, although that doesn't mean it isn't worth it.
It is listed as the Mia in Bedrock

No doubt it’s a great hat, but custom hats just don’t hold their value. The Dorer I recently bought sells for $800 new and I paid $200 for it, and the seller probably would have accepted less. If a custom keeps half of its value it’s unusual.

I had seen this sweet looking Lee pop up at a really great price. But I had my eye on two other hats so I was kinda putting it off. After Both @Garrett and @Randall Renshaw Messaged me about this one... HAS kicked in and I could not resist any longer. Turns out it was from the same guy I bought my Dobbs Gay prince from last year. He graciously accepted my offer and it is on its way. Thanks for thinking of me guys!

View attachment 249048 View attachment 249049 View attachment 249050

Oh and btw... the other two are still to come.
Nice catch. Lee hats never disappoint (as far as I know).

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been hankering for one of these in a more everyday wear kinda color and style (read brown) since I found two odd ball ones Last year. This one will get a shaping and some wear! If it fits.

Borsalino Featherweight coffin hat.

View attachment 249376 View attachment 249377 View attachment 249378 View attachment 249379 View attachment 249380
I simply love the idea of these hats but, have found I am not too much of a fan.....they just will not keep a shape.....they look like rags or those 18th century mop caps the women wore......sizing is a must if you want to actually wear them.

I simply love the idea of these hats but, have found I am not too much of a fan.....they just will not keep a shape.....they look like rags or those 18th century mop caps the women wore......sizing is a must if you want to actually wear them.
Depends a lot on the hat and style. The white fuzzy one I have I doubt would hold any shape even with steam. The green one basically holds shape easily. With steam I’ve seen some like Alan get them almost perfect. I suspect it’s possible that beat up dirty black one I got last month may even have started its life in one of these boxes.

Depends a lot on the hat and style. The white fuzzy one I have I doubt would hold any shape even with steam. The green one basically holds shape easily. With steam I’ve seen some like Alan get them almost perfect. I suspect it’s possible that beat up dirty black one I got last month may even have started its life in one of these boxes.

Yes, you can get them to look good for a short time.....but I have found wearing is another matter...........in particular I have a vintage "Kerchief Weight" that looks and feels awesome, really really awesome!!!!
BUT, completely changes every time you put it on or take it off...both the crown and brim just will not stay put...and I do NOT like looking like this
upload_2020-7-24_9-58-14.jpeg
W
While a little better both my Christie's and Stetson fur felt "roll away's" are much the same....but after steaming they all look great on my hat hook.;)
YMMV
M:)
PS Now I am talking those hats specifically listed as ultra thin, roll away, or super light, "feather weight" hats....and my experience with those. Not ALL the Borsa "coffin" hats are in that category. Many were essentially regular hats meant to be opened up, steamed and never returned to that box again....

I get what you mean. Certainly there are tradeoffs when you go ultra thin and light. In this case it also comes with the "super cool" factor. To me anyhow. And.. also in this case at a too good to pass up price. Checking off several boxes on the form there.

And with that.....

IMG_3411.gif

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Great buy!

For sure post it with your impressions when it arrives. I almost bought just to compare the Crush Weight, but I looked at all my grey hats and figured I’d hold out this time.

Sometimes staying up late on Ebay pays off - 1930's Stetson Select Quality "Crush Weight" for under $70

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Black-Stetson-Fedora-Hat-Sz-6-7-8-Cornetts-Santa-Monica-01h5/164300722073?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

A quick vacuum, steam and brush will have it looking new in no time

I’ve been hankering for one of these in a more everyday wear kinda color and style (read brown) since I found two odd ball ones Last year. This one will get a shaping and some wear! If it fits.

Borsalino Featherweight coffin hat.

View attachment 249376 View attachment 249377 View attachment 249378 View attachment 249379 View attachment 249380
That is an excellent find, Joe. Congrats. I don't have the same experience with these coffin box hats that Mark @M Hatman seems to have had. I have a few of them and find they don't behave any different compared to some other Borsalinos I have. It is true howver that all lightweight hats need some gentle handling as they can lose their shape at the drop of a hat (that's terrible, I know). The worst offenders are the extremely lightweight hats Borsalino offered in the past (and they still offer a 50 grammi hat in their current line-up). These require to be handled gingerly or they lose their shape in an instant. I don't think any of these are meant as roll-up hats though.

That is an excellent find, Joe. Congrats. I don't have the same experience with these coffin box hats that Mark @M Hatman seems to have had. I have a few of them and find they don't behave any different compared to some other Borsalinos I have. It is true howver that all lightweight hats need some gentle handling as they can lose their shape at the drop of a hat (that's terrible, I know). The worst offenders are the extremely lightweight hats Borsalino offered in the past (and they still offer a 50 grammi hat in their current line-up). These require to be handled gingerly or they lose their shape in an instant. I don't think any of these are meant as roll-up hats though.
Thanks Stefan. Everything you both say makes sense. I’m looking forward to having this one in hand and to compare it with my thin light black one. I would suspect a similar felt. Can’t really imagine it being thinner than that felt.

Thanks Stefan. Everything you both say makes sense. I’m looking forward to having this one in hand and to compare it with my thin light black one. I would suspect a similar felt. Can’t really imagine it being thinner than that felt.
YES, you will find it a fun experience....AND I cannot wait to see the "care"sheet I think I spied in the box!!!!! COOL that that is still with the hat!!!!! AND we will expect a "Side by Side Comparison" dissertation!!!;)

YES, you will find it a fun experience....AND I cannot wait to see the "care"sheet I think I spied in the box!!!!! COOL that that is still with the hat!!!!! AND we will expect a "Side by Side Comparison" dissertation!!!;)
Haha. And too long winded as usual. Good eye by the way! I spotted that right away as I remembered the one Stefan posted not too long ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21