Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Well, that’s one slippery slope to start down. Is 10 hats too many? It’s a lot more than most gentlemen owned back in the golden era of hat wearing. Is your/my collection of 10 hats driving the price up? Is a collection of 10 depriving someone else the ability to own one? Sure, it’s just a matter of degrees. How can we say what’s enough, or what’s too much. Is it fair that the wealthy have all the great oil paintings that are in private ownership? What if I would like an original Rembrandt for my front hallway. Is it fair that a wealthy collector has 20 and I don’t have any? The same thing is played out with coins, watches, stamps, and most anything people collect.

I don’t want others to tell me what I can have or what is too much. Do I have to justify why I own what I do? Compared to some I have a lot, compared to others I have little. And some of those revered early members of The Lounge had/have absolutely HUGE collections that no doubt caused prices to inflate and availability to decline. I guess I’m just an unrepentant free-market capitalist. If I want to have what the wealthy have I need to work for it and become wealthy myself rather than vilify the success of others.

There is a strong and compelling argument to make against modifying vintage and/or rare items. Just because you own that Rembrandt should you be free to cut it in half to fit the space you want to hang it? It’s tricky: I think it’s wrong to modify it, but what right do I have to tell someone what they should do with their own private property? We are just temporary caretakers, but all of these mere “things” are transitory and not really of great importance in the big scheme; although, some more materialistic people certainly feel differently. Back to modifying a current production and easily replaced hat...that doesn’t cause me any disquiet.

I’ll also add that those hats in those too-big-for-your-liking collections are being well cared for and will someday re-enter the market.
Yeah! Very well put, Brent! I especially like the last phrase... or maybe not:(

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It’s not for me to “allow” or disallow. I respect you and I can see your side more with modifying vintage hats, but even as a fellow larger head hat collector I personally don’t mind that Max is going to modify this kind of hat. If he bought a current production Stratoliner and sized it down I also wouldn’t care. Change that to a 1940s Stratoliner and then I get squeamish.
Hahaha! Also very well put. I wish I could write as well as you do, Brent! Maybe you should have been an orator.

Rumad

One Too Many
by the diminishing expertise present here

As a guy with a great love of all thing vintage, and a small collection of hats, I’ll say one of the reasons I came here was to ask questions. I don’t have much expertise, and I’ve always felt very welcome here. Now, maybe I’m being overly sensitive, which isn’t really like me, but if I’m part of the reason the Lounge has changed for the worse then I guess I’m not feeling super welcome after all. I don’t want to be a part of making anything worse.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
“I’m petty much a silent observer very infrequent poster but I’ve watched over the years members come and go. Most of the ones who made it such a classy site are gone. The lounge has changed..it ain’t what it used to be.“

I, personally would give pause to sharing my opinion of past classy members who no longer participate.
Possibly some leave due to lack of participation of newer current members or unclassy neophytes climbing the learning curve of fine felts. I would argue few members arrive here as accomplished experts who participate, educate and entertain us new “ain’t what it used to be” types.
It’s enjoyable watching new members learn and grow in knowledge and participation. I’m glad those old classy members participated and contributed enough enabling all to continue on after their time.
In reading those old posts i see today’s experts and freely contributing members began much as many new members but i DO NOT see the old “classy” members bitching and whining about their manner and method of enjoying and collecting hats to their own personal desire so in that respect, yes THEY were classy and far more tolerant of the individuality of enjoying hats with others.
It’s so easy to sit back and complain that “the old gray mare ain’t what she used to be” instead of contributing, helping, teaching, encouraging and tolerating how others choose to be a hat person.
Few intrinsic things ever are what they used to be. Members 5, 10 years ago could say the same “ain’t what it used to be”, “the good old days”, then as now and it would still be the same....unhelpful, boorish whiny bitching that solves nothing.
I don’t contribute as much as i used to somewhat because i think a bit of jealousy motivates some to pipe up their biased opinions which are just as valuable as anybody else’s and in the end only make themselves satisfied with themselves. Not helpful and not interesting!!

B

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Oh and by the way, if anyone is interested, Graham Thompson from Optimo told me last week that he was thinking of accepting classic vintage hats for cleaning and renovation.
Also, I am having a copy of a Stack fedora I particularly admire done by Optimo in white Orlylag felt. It should be here in a couple of weeks, and I will post pics of it when I have it in hand. I mention it because I am sure anyone else can have a clone of a hat they like made by Optimo.

As a guy with a great love of all thing vintage, and a small collection of hats, I’ll say one of the reasons I came here was to ask questions. I don’t have much expertise, and I’ve always felt very welcome here. Now, maybe I’m being overly sensitive, which isn’t really like me, but if I’m part of the reason the Lounge has changed for the worse then I guess I’m not feeling super welcome after all. I don’t want to be a part of making anything worse.
I can't speak to why anyone leaves, especially those with the expertise. But as a member for the last 5-6 yrs I believe the FL has kind of gone off the rails from what was its original Mission Statement, whether that statement was ever written, just implied or assumed otherwise to be.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I think the things that we share as members here is greater than what sets us apart. I like hats the way I like them and you are entitled to do the same. I do think the policy of "if you can't say something nice then say nothing at all" works well since our tastes in hats differ. I was discouraged years ago by a picture of me in hat being commented on negatively so I have posted very few since. I have been here maybe more than 20 years but I don't comment too often. I have bought several homburgs and flattened the brim. All were mass market vintage and homburgs go unsold (or did) on Ebay for long periods so I had no remorse. I also suppose the brim curl can be put back since I did not remove the edge binding.
I do miss many of the persons that were very active here for a long time that are now absent. I am unsure why some are absent other than it seems that internet sites have lost their luster for reasons unexplained. I am a member of several with dwindling membership.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
“I’m petty much a silent observer very infrequent poster but I’ve watched over the years members come and go. Most of the ones who made it such a classy site are gone. The lounge has changed..it ain’t what it used to be.“

I, personally would give pause to sharing my opinion of past classy members who no longer participate.
Possibly some leave due to lack of participation of newer current members or unclassy neophytes climbing the learning curve of fine felts. I would argue few members arrive here as accomplished experts who participate, educate and entertain us new “ain’t what it used to be” types.
It’s enjoyable watching new members learn and grow in knowledge and participation. I’m glad those old classy members participated and contributed enough enabling all to continue on after their time.
In reading those old posts i see today’s experts and freely contributing members began much as many new members but i DO NOT see the old “classy” members bitching and whining about their manner and method of enjoying and collecting hats to their own personal desire so in that respect, yes THEY were classy and far more tolerant of the individuality of enjoying hats with others.
It’s so easy to sit back and complain that “the old gray mare ain’t what she used to be” instead of contributing, helping, teaching, encouraging and tolerating how others choose to be a hat person.
Few intrinsic things ever are what they used to be. Members 5, 10 years ago could say the same “ain’t what it used to be”, “the good old days”, then as now and it would still be the same....unhelpful, boorish whiny bitching that solves nothing.
I don’t contribute as much as i used to somewhat because i think a bit of jealousy motivates some to pipe up their biased opinions which are just as valuable as anybody else’s and in the end only make themselves satisfied with themselves. Not helpful and not interesting!!

B
Damn, B! I didn't know that's why you don't participate so much anymore. I miss you! Hmmm. Why don't you just slide the parsley people off your plate? It's easy! The blocking button is there for a reason. :):):)

Hey, you can have the hat, if you want to buy it from me. I spend many hours per week looking for hats that I like on Ebay and Etsy.
I spend time negotiating with the sellers, too.
I buy them all with my own money, which I earn honestly, as I think my patients would agree.
Many of us on this forum like to collect hats, and many have way more of them than they will ever need.
You can see all of my collection on Instagram, and if you like any of them you can buy them from me, at no charge fror the ammount of time I spent searching for them.
You can even come to Mexico City, stay in my extra bedroom, and choose which to take with you. I would sell them to you for what they cost me, plus the cost of cleaning and/or refurbishing them, and the cost of bringing them to Mexico City.
I wish the owners of collections I admire and covet made me the same offer! I would be at their homes by tomorrow morning.

Come on over!

While I wait for you to come, I will continue in my hobby of collecting hats, just because I enjoy them, and have a right to spend the fruit of my labors as I see fit.

Hell, Max, I'll just come stay in your guest room and admire your hats!

Is breakfast included?

B

I can't speak to why anyone leaves, especially those with the expertise. But as a member for the last 5-6 yrs I believe the FL has kind of gone off the rails from what was its original Mission Statement, whether that statement was ever written, just implied or assumed otherwise to be.

I'd say I've seen a couple of "turnovers" at this point. It's just the ebb and flow of things.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
That sounds amazing, sign me up! mmm Barbacoa... I play golf on occasion and I'm not very good so you can really kick my butt and feel like a champion.
Neither am I, so it would be an interesting match!
I once captained an interclubs tennis team. Each player from the teams was only allowed to play once, so the other team's captain and I, both thinking the match would be either won or lost by the end, had designated our worst players for the final game.
Both players were terrible! But, since they were evenly matched, it was the most exciting game of all.

Oh and by the way, if anyone is interested, Graham Thompson from Optimo told me last week that he was thinking of accepting classic vintage hats for cleaning and renovation.
Also, I am having a copy of a Stack fedora I particularly admire done by Optimo in white Orlylag felt. It should be here in a couple of weeks, and I will post pics of it when I have it in hand. I mention it because I am sure anyone else can have a clone of a hat they like made by Optimo.

That’s good to know. I know he stopped taking hat work for any but his own hats some time ago.

J Williams

Practically Family
Neither am I, so it would be an interesting match!
I once captained an interclubs tennis team. Each player from the teams was only allowed to play once, so the other team's captain and I, both thinking the match would be either won or lost by the end, had designated our worst players for the final game.
Both players were terrible! But, since they were evenly matched, it was the most exciting game of all.

Racket sports are my favourite that sounds like a lot of fun.

The food is what I really love. An old friend of mine and a work colleague Jesus was here in Vancouver with his family on refugee status from Monterrey. He invited me to a cookout with his family and it was to date one of the best meals I ever had, and I toured Paris and Lyon eating at michelin star restaurants. Barbacoa, Carnitas, Nopales, Chilli Rellenos, Homemade corn tortilla, Agua Fresca, Tres Leches and on and on it was a feast I will never forget.

Damn, B! I didn't know that's why you don't participate so much anymore. I miss you! Hmmm. Why don't you just slide the parsley people off your plate? It's easy! The blocking button is there for a reason. :):):)

The block function works even better after Tapatalk was discontinued. I used to see blocked members posts if they were quoted, but now I never see anything from them even if a non-blocked member quotes them. It makes the Lounge a much nicer place for me.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Racket sports are my favourite that sounds like a lot of fun.

The food is what I really love. An old friend of mine and a work colleague Jesus was here in Vancouver with his family on refugee status from Monterrey. He invited me to a cookout with his family and it was to date one of the best meals I ever had, and I toured Paris and Lyon eating at michelin star restaurants. Barbacoa, Carnitas, Nopales, Chilli Rellenos, Homemade corn tortilla, Agua Fresca, Tres Leches and on and on it was a feast I will never forget.
Yesss!!!
I still miss Chicago's Gino's east pizza, though. Best in the universe.

I think I told you once that it is for that reason that I started spending money on hats. When a friend of mine died, I decided I didn't want to be the richest man in the cemetery.

I remember.
One of these days when the world gets back to normal we might all show up at your doorstep. Count me out of the golfing, but maybe a saltwater fishing trip...does your father still have his place on the coast?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk