Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. I bid $189 and was the runner up. If I would have won I would have been happy, but as nice as it is I’m not paying $200 or more for another black homburg…unless…. :)

Blare and Just Daniel like this.
  2. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

3. hatsRme, Redfokker, Rmccamey and 6 others like this.
  4. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

5. Redfokker

Redfokker

hatsRme, humanshoes, Blare and 2 others like this.
  6. GuessWho...

GuessWho... New in Town

Congrats on winning a beautiful hat. I was hoping whoever won the auction would back out, as I regretted not bidding more after you won it.

drmaxtejeda and Blare like this.
  7. Louis Mountbatten

Louis Mountbatten One of the Regulars

8. Probably not my size, but hard to say no to a vintage green western:

3822683A-034F-49F4-9301-9874E562BFE9.jpeg 28EAC3EF-4D36-40CA-81F6-57C74D0C13B1.jpeg

steur, hatsRme, BobHufford and 7 others like this.
  9. GuessWho...

GuessWho... New in Town

Well, there is the cheap"Beaver Brand" hats that are all over ebay as "beaver fur" by sellers who do not know any better because of the brand. There are also many companies who have tried to jump on Borsalino's name recognition by making their logos and fonts similar to Borsalino. Of course it's misleading marketing...it is meant to be, but also effective...as our interest in the hat would likely have been less had it been made by Joes Hat Shack instead of by Nutria.

Blare and Redfokker like this.
  10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I dunno. Joe reportedly made a helluva hat!

11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Crap, now I want one!

12. His Sovereign De Luxe model was really something special. I thought the second brim halfway up the crown was gimmicky, but it really works well.

hatsRme, Blare and Frunobulax like this.
  13. GuessWho...

GuessWho... New in Town

Borsalino Martora looks fantastic, but way too small for me, though I did just purchase it in order to resell here, but the only reason I knew it was special is because of the info on this forum and felt guilty about trying to profit off that, so contacted the seller to cancel the sale. I hope to be a good member and not try to share with the forum. Yeah, already regretting canceling the sale....by the way...the offer he accepted was 57.55...you are welcome...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294430116150?ViewItem=&item=294430116150

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

A word of caution. Hats no matter how wonderful and rare in the small sizes are not in great demand. A hat in that size 6 7/8 is very hard to sell as there are so few men with that small head size in today's world. Small hats can be picked up very cheaply. So the price at $58 but a fair one....not a great steal of a bargain. This is my wife's size and I have scored her some amazing vintage hats, pristine condition for less than that price.

15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I actually like the Beaver brand hats....have owned a few. They can be picked up for not a great deal of money as they are not a brand with collectable panache but they are a very credible if workmanlike hat. Usually represent good value.

16. Anyone ever hear of “Joe the Hatter” before?

FEC1E860-6337-432E-98A5-5AF0C373EEE4.jpeg 75461270-38BC-456D-ACE8-2D6A884A4B02.jpeg 7D7D8906-43EA-4558-877E-2613A1E63290.jpeg D77659B1-D546-4672-82E1-DF07F620BDAB.jpeg 5555340F-AC77-401F-9850-612077FCB5C2.jpeg

17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Ross Young and deadlyhandsome like this.

18. It has an old and thin/soft look…I’m hoping 1940s. The seller barely budged off his asking price and I bought two hats. The second hat is one that I’ll be holding my breath on so I’m not jinxing it by showing it here yet.

Blare, Ross Young and Rmccamey like this.

19. @belfastboy speaks the truth @GuessWho... It’s not just that there are so few men today with head sizes that start with a “6” it’s also that those lucky devils are used to picking gems up for a pittance. On a hat many of us would be instantly clicking the buy it now button at $250 in size 7 3/4 will often languish for months at $50 in size 6 7/8…because are smaller headed brethren have 50 similar hats to chose from for the same price or less. I’ll sift through hundreds if not thousands of hats online to find one in my size. If your a size 6 7/8 the hard part is not buying 25 hats a day.

steur, Mighty44, Ross Young and 2 others like this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, my wife made me promise to NOT buy her another great vintage hat in spite of my protests that the deals are tooo good to pass up.

steur, Mighty44, Blare and 1 other person like this.