Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Do you understand what Vita Felt means? Is it any different from regular fur hats?

From what I understand, the exact make up and process of the original Vita Felt remains a mystery.

That ad (from the 1960s?) states that it is a new DuPont process. Was it a different thing in the 1940s/50s?

I think that's correct. I don’t think DuPont had a hand in the 40s VF.

Oh! Hmmm.... embarrassing. Please teach me which, Brent. :)

The Stetson 3X was their best vintage felt quality? The Resistol X Double X was the highest X and best felt Resistol made during its time?

When dealing with “X” counts all I use it for is for the relative quality within the same brand from the same time (e.g., a 1974 Stetson 10X is “better than a 1974 Stetson 5X). The comparisons don’t cross over to other brands and they can’t be used to compare hats even from the same brand made at a different time (the relative quality levels didn’t change every year, but who knows when they did or the exact age of hats?).

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
The Stetson 3X was their best vintage felt quality? The Resistol X Double X was the highest X and best felt Resistol made during its time?

When dealing with “X” counts all I use it for is for the relative quality within the same brand from the same time (e.g., a 1974 Stetson 10X is “better than a 1974 Stetson 5X). The comparisons don’t cross over to other brands and they can’t be used to compare hats even from the same brand made at a different time (the relative quality levels didn’t change every year, but who knows when they did or the exact age of hats?).
Thanks, Brent.

That ad (from the 1960s?) states that it is a new DuPont process. Was it a different thing in the 1940s/50s?
My understanding is Stetson was doing the same as the other hat companies at that time. That is because of the "European unrest" both rabbit and Hare (particularly Cony) was scarce, forcing them to look for ways to "stretch" their current fur supplies. The most common was the use of milk protein threads added to the felting process.

There was an article in Scientific American done in 1942 (that is posted around here somewhere) where this is discussed by the Hat Corporation of America who was very forthright about this addition to their felt. Stetson was of course more secretive. However I have always thought they came up with the "Vita" thing from the use of the milk proteins, Milk was of course advertised as being full of good things for you (vitamins).

The DuPont thing was different and much later when they tried to revive the "Vita" felt label and involved a chemical process used as a replacement of the mercury in the felting (which was discontinued in the US around 1940). They had a hard time trying to duplicate the effect mercury had on the fur.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
1930s or 40s Stetson Extra Light Weight from Brent
Screenshot_20231203_085524.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085514.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085508.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085448.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085434.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085403.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085356.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085349.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085342.jpg
Screenshot_20231203_085334.jpg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

What quality???? :)

Not a post meant to start another discussion on this, um, questionable seller, but assuming all the parts of this nice looking hat are original, 3 different nomenclatures for the hat’s quality level is…nutty.

[/URL]

What quality???? :)

Not a post meant to start another discussion on this, um, questionable seller, but assuming all the parts of this nice looking hat are original, 3 different nomenclatures for the hat’s quality level is…nutty.
I suspect there is a good chance he might actually be right…… this time….. (outside of the “whippet” part) either way it is a great looking hat in a usual color. The price however certainly leaves it a lot less interesting

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I suspect there is a good chance he might actually be right…… this time….. (outside of the “whippet” part) either way it is a great looking hat in a usual color. The price however certainly leaves it a lot less interesting

Well apart from him, the hat itself has 3 quality inferences, which is what I was commenting on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart