Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
+1.

The award for most money I've seen a boater go for goes to this really nice Dobbs in 7 5/8.
273579193_tp.jpg

This Stetson derby, 7 1/4 has got to be 20s or earlier.
!BTrsHSwB2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKJuP)wknQ~~_1.JPG
!BTrsD+gCGk~$(KGrHgoOKiwEjlLmDn3YBKJuPk!j5Q~~_1.JPG

!BTrs!cg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKJuPWGJqg~~_1.JPG
!BUF(0R!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr(3WBKLtf3OIgw~~_1.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
XPLSV said:
Here's what arrived last night :D It's always good when it exceeds expectations!

Brad--I think I saw a comment you made somewhere regarding the inside bow/ribbon and dating in regards to the Knox hats? I noticed this one doesn't have the Knox emblem on the wind trolley button, too--does that indicate a date? I suspect the clear lining cover does...

Bernie

Great looking Knox, Bernie! Fine hat.

I don't know when Knox used the emblem on the trolley button, but I suspect it's a later embellishment.

At some point after the 1932 merger of Cavanagh-Dobbs with Knox and Dunlap into the new Hat Corporation of America, Hat Corp. standardized their lines, and this most noticeably shows up in the form of the looped tassel on the sweatband. With perhaps a few exceptions, this seems to have remained in place until around the time of the sale of their brands to Koracorp in 1972. However, it's possible they changed to a regular bow a few years earlier as a cost-saving measure.

Anyway, long story short, the looped tassel can be used to date Hat Corp. brand hats from the mid- or late-'30s to around 1972. Not MUCH help there, but you're right, the plastic liner tip protector helps to date it to about the last decade or so of Hat Corp.'s existence, say, perhaps 1955 to 1972, give or take a few years.

Glad you posted photos.

Brad

cookie

I'll Lock Up
XPLSV said:
Here's what arrived last night :D It's always good when it exceeds expectations!

knox205.jpg

knox212.jpg

knox203.jpg

Brad--I think I saw a comment you made somewhere regarding the inside bow/ribbon and dating in regards to the Knox hats? I noticed this one doesn't have the Knox emblem on the wind trolley button, too--does that indicate a date? I suspect the clear lining cover does...

Bernie

That hat has to be NOS ...right?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
XPLSV said:

knox205.jpg

knox212.jpg

knox203.jpg

Bernie

That hat has to be NOS/unworn ...right?

hatted

One of the Regulars
I think it was actually a 7 1/8. The marks on the tag were "57, 5, 7" -- that's what you found sometimes on 7 1/8 hats (don't know why the 1/8 is missing).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lee Adventure

This Lee Adventure arrived yesterday - interesting sparse ribbon, very thin sweatband. It required a heavy brushing and steaming to re-shape, but when done, I was very pleased - nice, lightweight hat, perfect for summer walks by Puget Sound. ...it makes the rotation.

LeeAdvFront.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1960's Western Stetson

Old Stetson on ebay

This old Stetson arrived yesterday. After cleaning and adding some support to worn spots, I tried to re-bash - it REALLY wanted to look like it had for the last 50 years. I also removed the plastic liner cover and washed. This hat had very heavy wear, presumably on a ranch in northern Washington.

Stetson_1Unb.jpg

Stetson_1Bashed.jpg

Stetson_1Liner.jpg

Stetson_1ribbonjpg.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
hatted said:
I think it was actually a 7 1/8. The marks on the tag were "57, 5, 7" -- that's what you found sometimes on 7 1/8 hats (don't know why the 1/8 is missing).

A size 57 metric is a size 7 UK - I'd assume that's why! (It's also apparently a size 5 French, according to a quick Google.)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Old Stetson on ebay

This old Stetson arrived yesterday. After cleaning and adding some support to worn spots, I tried to re-bash - it REALLY wanted to look like it had for the last 50 years. I also removed the plastic liner cover and washed. This hat had very heavy wear, presumably on a ranch in northern Washington.

Stetson_1Unb.jpg

Stetson_1Bashed.jpg

Stetson_1Liner.jpg

Stetson_1ribbonjpg.jpg

That's a very nice Stetson. Is the second picture the crease it had and wants to have, or the one you put in? I'm guessing it may be yours, because it's similar to the bash on your Lee. I think the Stetson would look better with a taller bash because the tear drop Fedora-style crease looks too short for the brim width. An oreana or Montana peak might be a better compliment to the wide brim. Just my opinion. I like old Stetsons and lean to western styles.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Inusuit said:
That's a very nice Stetson. Is the second picture the crease it had and wants to have, or the one you put in? I'm guessing it may be yours, because it's similar to the bash on your Lee. I think the Stetson would look better with a taller bash because the tear drop Fedora-style crease looks too short for the brim width. An oreana or Montana peak might be a better compliment to the wide brim. Just my opinion. I like old Stetsons and lean to western styles.

the ebay auction photos show a very similar crease, so I'm assuming it's the crease it had.
5b35_1.JPG

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
hatted said:

I don't know if it applies in this particular case. But keep in mind that -

57CM = Punti 5 = US size 7 1/8 = UK SIZE 7

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
the ebay auction photos show a very similar crease, so I'm assuming it's the crease it had.
5b35_1.JPG

Dinerman's correct. The unbashed pic just shows what it looked like after I soaked it and attempted to work out the old crease while wet, just to give an idea of height. I was able to tidy up the old crease some, but since it is 'stuck' with a fedora crease, I went ahead and steamed to accentuate the pinch. I think it looks pretty good. It really looks nice on my head, but I'm no good at taking my own picture (arms aren't long enough). This will be my Winter camping/rain hat if I keep it.

Stetson_1SideMed.jpg

Inusuit

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Dinerman's correct. The unbashed pic just shows what it looked like after I soaked it and attempted to work out the old crease while wet, just to give an idea of height. I was able to tidy up the old crease some, but since it is 'stuck' with a fedora crease, I went ahead and steamed to accentuate the pinch. I think it looks pretty good. It really looks nice on my head, but I'm no good at taking my own picture (arms aren't long enough). This will be my Winter camping/rain hat if I keep it.

Stetson_1SideMed.jpg

It looks better from the side. Maybe just the perspective in the first pictures. Anyhow, a great hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Inusuit said:
It looks better from the side. Maybe just the perspective in the first pictures. Anyhow, a great hat.

Thanks.

We need Dinerman to start a 'Western Stetsons with Ribbons Club' thread - he has some really great ones.

My gf just told me it looks like something out of "The Flying Nun" :cry:

Here's my other Stetson western, also from ebay - it had a horrid factory crease that I could not get out by soaking, so I turned it into a Clint Eastwood-style. Still need to decide on a ribbon:

StetWestWhite1.jpg

StetWestWhite2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw