Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Feraud

Bartender
suitedcboy said:
"2 1/4" brim is not stingy."

In the context of a Stetson Whippet, it is stingy.
How so?

Regarding stingy brims. A stingy brim is considered by general consensus (unless the group has changed their collective minds) below 2". This one is well outside the sub 2" group.

Speaking specifically of Stetson Whippets, I am under the impression Whippets fall into a range of brim lengths. Considering this I don't find that Stetson odd at all. I have a three or four Whippets of varying brim lengths. I don't see anything stingy about this one at all.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man said:
This is the second C&K milan in the last two months that I've picked up for under $50.

Here's a question for you folks, would you put a pug or ribbon on this hat or wear it as is?

:eusa_clap

You're killing me VM. :D

I was thinking about that too, and do think that it needs a ribbon. With this one, I really don't know what would look best. The pug might end up being perfect.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Knox 20

Brad Bowers said:
Nice Knox from Cottrell's. My first hat, a Stetson, I bought at Cottrell's. I miss the place; it was a classic men's store in Downtown Denver.

Brad

It arrived yesterday. Very nice :D Managed to snag that one bidding off my blackberry at the gym while working out with the wife--she wasn't impressed! Made some concessions to her and she is leaving me and the Knox alone now ;)

The hat itself is wonderful and the box was surprisingly sturdy (also in excellent condition). It is either very heavy duty cardboard or something close to a lightweight wood possibly? Have to look at it again when I get home. Got the tea kettle out late last night and played with the hat for quite some time...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
great deal on a Mallory leghorn, 7 3/8
100_2786.jpg

100_2779.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The Royal Stetson Feather Weight 7 1/2

From US Patent Office...The Royal Stetson
First use 9-12-1935
Filled for 9-25-1935
Registered 3-10-1936
Ser#71369721
Reg#0333199

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
GallatinHatMan said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250435565675

eBayISAPI.dll

I got this in one of Scot's auctions. He had fedorized, if that's a word, but I wanted it because it was a good Cavanagh black Homburg, for which I have been looking. It came in the mail today and I unbashed it and returned it to its homburg glory and am very happy with it for the price.

Glad to hear it - I probably should have "re-Homburg'd" it prior to putting on ebay, but glad to hear it found a happy home. I'm currently in overdrive trying to rid myself of near-fitting hats and some that just don't look good on me. This was one I really, really liked, but it needed more stretching to fit me.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
I am very happy. It completes my homberg contingent, having a camel colored Stetson Royal Deluxe, a gray Stetson Ivy League and now this black Cavanaugh. So I now have a homberg for every suit which is what I wanted. As a fedora it was ugly but back to its intended glory, it really is great. I'm looking at some of your other hats but finances dictate increasing selectivity in my buying.

GClark

One of the Regulars
billyspew said:
I have purchased from that seller in the past and have been pleased, the description is accurate overall. I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks!
Good to hear. Now I'm even more excited.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
GallatinHatMan said:
I am very happy. It completes my homberg contingent, having a camel colored Stetson Royal Deluxe, a gray Stetson Ivy League and now this black Cavanaugh. So I now have a homberg for every suit which is what I wanted. As a fedora it was ugly but back to its intended glory, it really is great. I'm looking at some of your other hats but finances dictate increasing selectivity in my buying.

I have worn the same $40 black Bailey for three winters and wanted a replacement BADLY - badly enough to de-homburgize that Cavanagh. But as others on the 'black fedora' thread have pointed out, it's not that easy to do vintage-wise.

I'm looking forward to posting a success story in the next few days.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Feraud said:
How so?

Regarding stingy brims. A stingy brim is considered by general consensus (unless the group has changed their collective minds) below 2". This one is well outside the sub 2" group.

Speaking specifically of Stetson Whippets, I am under the impression Whippets fall into a range of brim lengths. Considering this I don't find that Stetson odd at all. I have a three or four Whippets of varying brim lengths. I don't see anything stingy about this one at all.

I understood why Billyspew would use "stingy" in his description, apparently it causes confusion to others.

The image most of us have of Whippets is from the the photos posted here, found in auctions, and found in the old ads. Those Whippets have brims of 2 1/2 inches or a bit more. The proportions give the look of a fedora with brim widths that fall into the wide end of the scale for such hats. A Whippet with a 2 1/4 inch brim is "stingy" looking to me since the proportions fall outside this. A Whippet with a 2 1/4 brim would appear to me as a standard Royal Stetson fedora with a bound edge, albeit a wider grosgrain binding.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Knox 20

Here's what arrived last night :D It's always good when it exceeds expectations!

knox205.jpg

knox212.jpg

knox203.jpg

Brad--I think I saw a comment you made somewhere regarding the inside bow/ribbon and dating in regards to the Knox hats? I noticed this one doesn't have the Knox emblem on the wind trolley button, too--does that indicate a date? I suspect the clear lining cover does...

Bernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace