Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Stetson Gun Club

There was something that drew me to this hat. Shame the price went so high, but I have only seen the one thread on this particular Gun Club on the lounge so it may be a little rarer? A lovely greeny-black, long hair that was just the right size too. One day...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220450849437&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:AU:1123[/URL]

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Beaver 100?

Here is an interesting one. 7 3/8, 100% beaver, OR type. Could have been made by Bradford Ltd., before they were purchased by Resistol. Thus, it can well be somewhat 60ies. The silk ribbon, however, looks quite similar, quality wise, to comparable Stetson One Hundred clones. Here is the link. Pictures will follow, once it has arrived.

Meanwhile: Does anyone have got some further information on Bradford hats?

Yhat

New in Town
Whipped by the Whippet

Wow! That Stetson Whippet went sky-high fast! ($250+). Is that typical? If so, it's out of my league. I did nab my Stratoliner though. Looks like a fixer-upper, but eager to get at it!

So here's my stand on my goal.

Stetson Playboy - got it (by shear blind luck!).
Stetson Stratoliner - got it (I think)
Stetson Range (I think?) - got it
Stetson Open Road - not yet
Stetson Whippet - never?
Stetson Gun Club - not yet

I've won 3 other Stetsons online, but they were what I'd have to say are "poor wins".

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Yhat said:
Wow! That Stetson Whippet went sky-high fast! ($250+). Is that typical? If so, it's out of my league. I did nab my Stratoliner though. Looks like a fixer-upper, but eager to get at it!

So here's my stand on my goal.

Stetson Playboy - got it (by shear blind luck!).
Stetson Stratoliner - got it (I think)
Stetson Range (I think?) - got it
Stetson Open Road - not yet
Stetson Whippet - never?
Stetson Gun Club - not yet

I've won 3 other Stetsons online, but they were what I'd have to say are "poor wins".

It went so high because the color combination was GORGEOUS, the size was very large/very rare (and it seems like a lot of the high-roller hat guys are large sizes), and it looked to be in excellent condition. If you are a small to average hat size, a Whippet is certainly doable.

Yhat

New in Town
Whipped by a Whippet

I gotcha... Big head=big $... Didn't think I'd ever have to pay for that.

And that was indeed a great looking hat. More power to the winner! Maybe I need to run a few car washes and raise some extra capital for the next time something like that comes around.

But for the time being, I'll wallow in the Stratoliner and stalk the elusive OR.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chiliarches said:
It went so high because the color combination was GORGEOUS, the size was very large/very rare (and it seems like a lot of the high-roller hat guys are large sizes), and it looked to be in excellent condition. If you are a small to average hat size, a Whippet is certainly doable.

Seller comment - even though that hat was WAYY too big on me, and even knowing that it was likely to fetch close to $300, I still almost kept it - it's that nice of a hat. Oh well, it's gone now and I'll be on the lookout for a smaller one.

Since I've now sold all the hats I planned on, I'll add this - I rarely question buyer sanity when I see a NM vintage hat going for $300 or so. Today's rabbit felt hats go for $150 new, and the next step up is generally $300, and that's for workmanship and features that don't approach the vintage hats. I'm down to 14 hats (I knew 10 was impossible) and the two new $150 ones are easily at the very bottom in overall quality, but #2 and 3 in terms of what I paid. I like them fine, but they are what they are.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Seller comment - even though that hat was WAYY too big on me, and even knowing that it was likely to fetch close to $300, I still almost kept it - it's that nice of a hat. Oh well, it's gone now and I'll be on the lookout for a smaller one.

Since I've now sold all the hats I planned on, I'll add this - I rarely question buyer sanity when I see a NM vintage hat going for $300 or so. Today's rabbit felt hats go for $150 new, and the next step up is generally $300, and that's for workmanship and features that don't approach the vintage hats. I'm down to 14 hats (I knew 10 was impossible) and the two new $150 ones are easily at the very bottom in overall quality, but #2 and 3 in terms of what I paid. I like them fine, but they are what they are.

What I can't figure out is why it looked so much better than most other Whippets I have seen...something about the large size made the dimensions that much more attractive?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
Or maybe the photography skills of the seller? ;)

Just purchased an Adam off Scott and the pictures made it look lush.

Thanks - I wouldn't call it 'lush', but the color is 'rich'...also, hard to photograph.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
This is a real beauty - did someone here get it?

!BWVHNPwBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZyqPBKW5oBzPHQ~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130318543760

hatted

One of the Regulars
Tell me that someone here got this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stetson-Flagship-Fedora-7-1-8-mens-felt-hat_W0QQitemZ130318072072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item1e578ff908&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A4|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
hatted said:
Tell me that someone here got this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stetson-Flagship-Fedora-7-1-8-mens-felt-hat_W0QQitemZ130318072072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item1e578ff908&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A4|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

Yes.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
3743226475_04954c5696.jpg

I BIN'D to save ScottF

And I greatly appreciate it. I'm leaving town Thursday for two weeks, with no phone or computer, so ebay will be safe.

That Mallory is a great-looking hat - I really like the light-weight, unlined felts for summer wear.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mario said:
I'm pretty sure that almost every FL member was watching that Stetson Flagship, regardless of its size.

You're probably right.. it caught my eye too..

Chiliarches, congratulations! it's a beautiful hat (understatement of the day..)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn