Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
ValEag said:
While not as elegant as many I've seen in this thread, I was able to pick up a nice Champ stingy brim this week.
I'm not much of a stingy brim fan, but that is one sweet lid! :eusa_clap I'm glad you could keep it in the family.

Goose.

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin said:
I bid on hats like I drink...slow, steady, and savoring each sip. Keeps me balanced (the booze, not the moderation)!:D :D :D
What RBH said; :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

When I came down with Congestive Heart Failure about eight years ago, the cardiologist said "no more canned soups, table salt, beer or pizza" for me (essentially, alcohol and salty foods). I asked for "Pizza and beer? How long?". Reply, "for as long as you live'. I just kind of chuckled in the "yeah. Right" tone. He asked me how much I drink. Replied "I'm a social drinker. But, I am VERY social'. And pizza, that was a at least weekly staple of life. Anyway, Mr. P's post reminded me of that.

Well, thinking this is my first time even looking in this thread. Saw ValEag posted, so thought I'd see what my Sydney/Fedora brother was up to. Glad I checked it out.

Someday, I hope to get a Borsalino...maybe eBay is the way to go.

Oh, edit, the hoot was that about six months later, I was Chevy's Mexican restaurant eating a "Super Chevy's Combo meal". Guess who ended up at the table next to me? Yep. My ticker doc.

Bantam Man said:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

StetsonFlagshipGrey-ph1.jpg

This Flagship will head to The Netherlands ;). It has some mothbites, but otherwise seems fine. And it's actually the first one coming by on eBay in 7 1/4 in, at least, a loooong time. And with the box included! I'm looking forward to it :p

I have been looking for one in 7 5/8 and I have only found the box---consider yourself lucky. ;) :p Now back to looking. :eusa_doh:

ValEag said:
While not as elegant as many I've seen in this thread, I was able to pick up a nice Champ stingy brim this week. It was advertised to be in like new condition, and does appear to be hardly worn if at all. I was really excited about getting it, and finally seeing how I look in a stingy brim. Seller was very prompt and I received it in three days.
Unfortunately, my excitement died down quite a bit when I saw this
It was advertised as a 7 1/2 (my size) but was actually a 7 1/8. :(
The seller was very apologetic and I had planned to return it, then my wife tried it on - perfect fit - and looks good on her too. So it's a keeper after all.

Geez, if I had a dollar for every hat that fit my wife and not me......:rolleyes:
Now that my son is nearly the same size head as my wife, he has got a whole lot more to choose from so it ended up being good for him too in the long run. ;) :p

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Goose - Thanks for the compliment. I really liked the way this one looked. Glad you stopped by! BTW - I'm really glad you changed your avatar - ugh! lol

Mahagonny Bill - it's not that I don't care that much for the stingy look, I just didn't know if they would look good on me. I couldn't pass this one up for the price. I'll have to keep my eye open for another, got beat out on one at GoodWill's website last week.

Originally posted by jamespowers:
Now that my son is nearly the same size head as my wife, he has got a whole lot more to choose from so it ended up being good for him too in the long run.

Funny you should mention that - my son stopped by tonight and the Champ fits him like a glove - we'll see who ends up with it.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Pliafelt

Mario said:
Just a few minutes ago, I won this Mallory Ten Pliafelt with box:

This will take some time until it arrives here, as it needs to be shipped to Germany...

Great Mario! Then what size is this Mallory?
Good luck with it!

Mario said:
At 6 7/8 it's a small one. Crown is about 5" tall, brim is 2 1/2" wide, the ribbon is 1 1/2". Seems to have 3 or 4 tiny moth nibbles, but I can live with that.

:eusa_clap Very nice! Happy to see you landed one in the color combo you were looking for.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Just a few minutes ago, I won this Mallory Ten Pliafelt with box:

!BWnw27!B2k~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZB)tBKYS8OUoH!~~_12.JPG

Congratulations, Mario -- that is an absolutely beautiful Mallory! My Mallory Dallas is also Premier Quality Pliafelt (and has the same liner) -- and, without a doubt, it is some of the nicest felt of any of my vintage lids, bar none. I predict that you are going to be very happy with that one. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL​

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jimmy, I'm very happy that I was able to snatch this one. :) Turned out that I was the only bidder. Any idea about the age, jduging by the liner?

jimmy the lid said:
Congratulations, Mario -- that is an absolutely beautiful Mallory! My Mallory Dallas is also Premier Quality Pliafelt (and has the same liner) -- and, without a doubt, it is some of the nicest felt of any of my vintage lids, bar none. I predict that you are going to be very happy with that one. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Thanks Jimmy, I'm very happy that I was able to snatch this one. :) Turned out that I was the only bidder. Any idea about the age, jduging by the liner?

I think it's fair to say that that liner was in use during the late 40's to early 50's timeframe -- but you'll need to factor in other clues once you receive the hat (i.e., sweatband, size tag, when Mallory started using the "Mallory 10" designation, etc.) ;)

Cheers,
JtL

babs

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn