Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Remember, though, that brims can be trimmed to a smaller width. I've done it with several of mine. You probably wouldn't want to do this to a brim with a 'Cavanagh edge' ... but if you prefer a raw edge, then go for it!

Marc, did you cut them yourself? :eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
heretics, the both of you

burn_at_stake2w.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
I'll bring the pitchforks and torches.

Hands off the Cavanagh Edge!

Brad

lol lol lol

I didn't buy it but I gotta' admit, that green Sovereign sure did catch my eye. I was also put off by the 3" brim - and unlike ol' 'Marcus Scissorhands' :)D ) there, I wouldn't trim it.

I have a counterpart hat to that green one but in medium brown. My friends here on TFL have assured me that the 3" brim looks OK on me, but I just can't get comfortable in the thing. Tried it on today and just couldn't bring myself to wear it out in public. [huh]

Michaelshane

One Too Many
M_Jones said:
I have no clue why it didn't fetch more but I am sure glad it didn't! :D

I mean, it's green, it is a Sovereign, it has a mode edge, it is NOS....

It may not fit but it will be worth it just to see and handle it. I give my word, if it doesn't work out it will end up in the classifieds. Unfortunately I will not see it until late November......
Nice buy....I bought two stetsons in one box,one was the twin of that one,it's a wonderful hat.You will love it.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Michaelshane

One Too Many
This is the sovereign twenty I scored with a Royal Stetson,both green.$43.00
I think you should leave the brim alone,that mode edge is special...

P1040746.jpg
[/IMG]

It has a better crease now,I don't have a recent picture.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
I would never cut off a Cav./Mode/Guild/etc. edge. I have a feeling that I can make this hat work but if not then someone else can buy it and do to it what they will.

I am fairly certain that the brim is not three inches either. I have its big brother in tan with a thin ribbon and though the brim is wide it is not that wide. The dimensions of this fedora are perfect in my opinion so I am quite certain that as long as it fits everything will stay as is.

Now I may not be opposed to stretching it........

billyspew

One Too Many
M_Jones said:
I would never cut off a Cav./Mode/Guild/etc. edge. I have a feeling that I can make this hat work but if not then someone else can buy it and do to it what they will.

I am fairly certain that the brim is not three inches either. I have its big brother in tan with a thin ribbon and though the brim is wide it is not that wide. The dimensions of this fedora are perfect in my opinion so I am quite certain that as long as it fits everything will stay as is.

Now I may not be opposed to stretching it........

I have the exact one in grey and the brim is a shade under 3" more like 2" 13/16 - 2" 7/8.

I think it works on me:eek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
M_Jones said:

And if you really like Cav/Mode/Guild edges, you really shouldn't cut 'em off. However, if you like the hat more than the edge and the width, then by all means trim it. A hat is the sum of its parts, and not just one part. Furthermore, it's really not so difficult to find vintage fedoras on eBay that have a Cav/Mode/Guild edge. Still, let me repeat: if you're very fond of Cav edges, then don't trim them off -- follow M_Jones's sage advice and pass the fedora on to someone else.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well put Marc. I couldn't resist teasing you a little but I agree with your point of view. Once someone buys a thing fair and square they are the owner and have the right to do with it as they please - whether it pleases me and others or not.

babs

A-List Customer
Newb discover to me from this discussion.. The edge really does finish off the hat. I couldn't dream of messing up an edge like that by cutting it.. If it didn't come from the hatter that way, then it goes to someone that can fit the hat or can appreciate it as intended.

babs

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Another case of a nice 1960s fedora selling for little. On eBay, stingy brims from the '60s almost never fetch the high prices of their older (and wider) cousins.

Indeed.. I was watching that one as well.. This one I blame the photo's. I have sneaky suspicion this is a very nice hat. I was actually going to bid just got side-tracked and missed the finale. My dusty phone takes better pic's though. Whata shame.. Someone scored I'd say.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270430912948&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
[rant]

Ebay just keeps making it more difficult for users to sell their items, while the sellers themselves continue to be difficult. Unless you host your own photos through auctiva, photobucket, etc., you get one free, tiny photo in the new, terrible layout. Of course, so many sellers try to sell items using terrible photos, while others aren't willing to spring for that extra dime to post another shot.

[/rant]

Levallois

Practically Family
Optimo scored on ebay

Got it for ALOT less than new and it looks like it was never worn. Sorry posting this all over the place - my first Optimo and I'm a little excited.

Optimo1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot