Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Stetsonian

New in Town
Smells like a rat...

Garrett said:
Fellow loungers, I'd like to make you aware of what I believe is a scamming seller on OFAS. Bartenders, I'm referencing a closed auction and a live one because it is the same item and is essentially stolen property at this point.

I purchased this Knox fedora auction #150270948469 and never received it, nor did I receive ANY communication. After reporting this to ebay and paypal, I still received no response whatsoever.

Browsing through the bay this morning, i found this item relisted as #260273470661 and though the seller ID is different than on the initial auction, the city of origin is the same as is the feedback similarities citing on multiple occasions that the seller does not repsond to emails and does not ship items in a timely manner, if at all.

I'd also like to point out that the brim of the hat in the new auction photo is bent in the same places as the prior auction photo.

DO YOU BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE SAME HAT RELISTED UNDER ANOTHER SELLER ID BUT BY THE SAME PERSON? OR AM I NUTS?

Thanks.

Sure looks identical to me. Same bash, same side dent, ribbons.....

Jay

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
DO YOU BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE SAME HAT RELISTED UNDER ANOTHER SELLER ID BUT BY THE SAME PERSON? OR AM I NUTS?

Nah, different hats. After all, one is a "Fendora," while the other is a "Fedora."lol

It does almost appear to be the same hat. Judging from the "Buy It Now" price on the second auction, the seller was unhappy with the winning bid in the original auction.

Good luck.

Brad

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Lousy? How so? Not much of a description it's true. Should it have been listed in another category ya think?

Maybe not entirely lousy, but it doesn't mention anywhere in the listing that it's a clear beaver. The word vintage isn't anywhere in the listing, either. If it were me, I would have listed it in vintage mens hats as well; it would have had more traffic. Maybe these seem like small things, but for a hat that nice to sell for (relatively) that little, there was probably a reason.

Stetsonian

New in Town
Same payment instructions.....

Garrett said:
Fellow loungers, I'd like to make you aware of what I believe is a scamming seller on OFAS. Bartenders, I'm referencing a closed auction and a live one because it is the same item and is essentially stolen property at this point.

I purchased this Knox fedora auction #150270948469 and never received it, nor did I receive ANY communication. After reporting this to ebay and paypal, I still received no response whatsoever.

Browsing through the bay this morning, i found this item relisted as #260273470661 and though the seller ID is different than on the initial auction, the city of origin is the same as is the feedback similarities citing on multiple occasions that the seller does not repsond to emails and does not ship items in a timely manner, if at all.

I'd also like to point out that the brim of the hat in the new auction photo is bent in the same places as the prior auction photo.

Thanks.

I also noticed the sellers payment instructions are word for word the same in capital letters with the exception of "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" added to the recent auction.

Go figure....
Jay

Lumelux

New in Town
I'd report it to USPS. Mail fraud is a Federal offence and that's what he's done. I wouldn't rely on EBAY to help with anything, I don't think they care.

mp

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Stoney said:
Man, that is a very nice old hat. Look like late 1930s or early 1940s from the interior. It appears to have the velour finish as well.

I'm not too sure about that. That liner logo looks like the one they used in the '60s, and borsalino used that kind of sweatband for a long time. Styling looks mid '60s to me as well. Those fuzzy borsalinos are nice hats. Great felt, a really nice feel to them. (And yes, they were all fur felt as far as I know- yours definitely is) $30 is a great price on it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Maybe not entirely lousy, but it doesn't mention anywhere in the listing that it's a clear beaver. The word vintage isn't anywhere in the listing, either. If it were me, I would have listed it in vintage mens hats as well; it would have had more traffic. Maybe these seem like small things, but for a hat that nice to sell for (relatively) that little, there was probably a reason.
I get ya. But with all the fees lousy ebay whacks sellers with now, a lot of folks don't go the extra mile with bunches of pics and snazzy borders and all. A good concise, easy to read, and detailed description is essential then. More so than ever if we are forced to keep the listings lean in order to keep listing at all.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Use Auctiva as your template. It's free and you get up to 24 photos per listing - and you're not charged anything extra by ebay. Aside from the one problem I had when the service went down during one of my auctions, it's really helped me put together far better listings.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
Use Auctiva as your template. It's free and you get up to 24 photos per listing - and you're not charged anything extra by ebay. Aside from the one problem I had when the service went down during one of my auctions, it's really helped me put together far better listings.

:eek:fftopic: I cannot say in clear, concise English how much I detest Auctiva. To shorten this rant, let's just say that they refused to cancel my account for six months and were absolutely miserable about it the entire time, stating "you didn't cancel the account" or "we have no record of that request". I strongly recommend you try another service as I found them of no value whatsoever. /:eek:fftopic:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
:eek:fftopic: I cannot say in clear, concise English how much I detest Auctiva. To shorten this rant, let's just say that they refused to cancel my account for six months and were absolutely miserable about it the entire time, stating "you didn't cancel the account" or "we have no record of that request". I strongly recommend you try another service as I found them of no value whatsoever. /:eek:fftopic:
Hm,..well on second thought,...:eek:

Vintage Betty

Garrett said:

Thanks.

Not that I suspect it will help in the slightest, but I just reported this auction as potential fraud to ebay. If you want to jump on the bandwagon, go to item 260273470661, click on Report This Item on the bottom of the page. Fill out the web form. I listed the URL of the Fedora Lounge discussion page of potential fraud.

Vintage Betty

Garrett

Thanks betty!

I just did the same myself, thanks very much for your help.

Vintage Betty

Garrett said:
I just did the same myself, thanks very much for your help.

My pleasure! Let's see,

1 Rant for the Day
1 Good Deed for the Day
_______________________ =

No difference in this thread.

Gotta try harder.

Vintage Betty

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Why did you pay?
The free service provides all that I need. If they want to cancel my account, or not let me cancel my account, let 'em. They have nothing more on me than my email address.

What do you use now, do you pay for it, and why do you prefer it?

Stoney

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
I'm not too sure about that. That liner logo looks like the one they used in the '60s, and borsalino used that kind of sweatband for a long time. Styling looks mid '60s to me as well. Those fuzzy borsalinos are nice hats. Great felt, a really nice feel to them. (And yes, they were all fur felt as far as I know- yours definitely is) $30 is a great price on it.

I would tend to agree with you on it's age , based upon the exterior styling of the hat. However, I've was looking at the liner protector, fabric rather than plastic and the bow knot style as well. Overall the inside of this hat looks much earlier while the outside looks like a 60s or maybe even 70s hat. I have seen some old hat ads for similar styles from the 30s and 40s. This one sure is interesting. Maybe there will be something under the sweatband to give
us some more clues.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Cheap Australian

Might not be much of a hat, but it's bound to be worth a buck (plus 8 morre for shipping)!

GENUINE FURFELT HAT!

3444_1.JPG

Anj

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Ebay changed the vintage hats categories today.

now there's

Vintage:
Cap
Cowboy
Derby
Fedora
Stetson (it's a brand, not a style, ebay:rage: )
Straw
Top hat
Other

all existing listings in the vintage hats category have been lumped into "other".

What do you think of this? Good or bad? Seems to me like it could be helpful, but they should switch out "Stetson" for "Homburg"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters