Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Stetsonian

New in Town
Dinerman said:
Ebay changed the vintage hats categories today.

now there's

Vintage:
Cap
Cowboy
Derby
Fedora
Stetson (it's a brand, not a style, ebay:rage: )
Straw
Top hat
Other

all existing listings in the vintage hats category have been lumped into "other".

What do you think of this? Good or bad? Seems to me like it could be helpful, but they should switch out "Stetson" for "Homburg"

Leave it to eBay to list 'Stetson' as a style! I think regardless of the new categories sellers will continue to mis-identify/list the hats they sell. A lot of sellers have no knowledge of hats or hat style. IMHO

Jay

MattJH

One Too Many
Dumbjaw said:
My first Cavanagh - a dark grey 7 3/4 LO. Almost all of my hats are brown, so this one will be a nice change of pace. I hear great things about Cavanagh from folks here.

It just got here.

It's a 7 3/8 LO, not a 7 3/4 LO.

How in the world do you confuse an 8 for a 4?

Total bummer.

Stetsonian

New in Town
That sucks DJ!

Dumbjaw said:
It just got here.

It's a 7 3/8 LO, not a 7 3/4 LO.

How in the world do you confuse an 8 for a 4?

Total bummer.

At least it looks like the seller accepts returns which, being that it was wrongly sized on their behalf should be a given. If you sell on eBay, I'd say resell it yourself. 7-3/8ths is a popular headsize, you may get more than you paid for it.

Good luck!
Jay

MattJH

One Too Many
To lighten the blow, the 7 1/2 Dobbs that I won last week just came in. I'm a 7 5/8 - 7 3/4, but I got this one very cheap at just over $30 in the hopes that it might fit me. It does. 2 1/4" brim and all. Anyone know how to date it from the liner?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't say anything about the date, but I was watching that pretty Dobbs and you certainly made out for that price.

Did anyone get this? I wanted it, but forgot about the auction until 2 minutes after it was over. I haven't seen one like it.
8526_1.JPG

Stetsonian

New in Town
'Aquanized Stetson'?

Lefty said:
I can't say anything about the date, but I was watching that pretty Dobbs and you certainly made out for that price.

Did anyone get this? I wanted it, but forgot about the auction until 2 minutes after it was over. I haven't seen one like it.

In one of the auction pictures of the sweatband does it say 'Aquanized Stetson'? I've never heard that before and assume it meant water-resistant?

Jay

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yep, that's just one of the things that made it strange to me. It's a select quality, which I thought was phased out by the time a hat that looked like that (the general style and liner) came out, and I don't recall Stetson making such a big deal about their hats being waterproof the way that Mallory, Lee, and others did. Maybe it was a model that was only made for the Canadian market, but I've got nothing but speculation on this one.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Stetsons marked aquanized stetson were made and sold only on the Canadian market.

Though the size tag is missing, and you can't see the reorder tags under the sweat, just for reference, the reorder tags on the canadian stetsons were different, just little rectangular tags. The size tags were done on gold foil instead of manila card stock.

That's a Canadian hat for sure.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I won this Mallory/Stetson yesterday ... Not exactly my style, but for $12 I figured it was worth a shot. If I like the color I may cut down the brim, give it a thin ribbon, and see what the reslut is.

Any thoughts?

151337347_tp.jpg

151337380_tp.jpg

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I won this Mallory/Stetson yesterday ... Not exactly my style, but for $12 I figured it was worth a shot. If I like the color I may cut down the brim, give it a thin ribbon, and see what the reslut is.

I was watching that had and decided against sniping it at the last moment :D I was going to ask Art or my local guy about cleaning and a new bash and ribbon but for some reson I just let it go. some of the other guys would know more but I thought there's more life in the old hat yet.
Congrats on the win.

MattJH

One Too Many
Check out this nice looking, bound brimmed Royal Stetson in 7 5/8 that I just missed out on because I was driving home from work when it ended. Oh well. Believe it or not, I don't own a single Stetson.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
HamletJSD said:

Any thoughts?

151337347_tp.jpg

151337380_tp.jpg

it has the woolmark on the front of the sweat.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
So vintage wool?

Interesting ... I anticipated it being a beater from the beginning, but I didn't know you could tell so readily. Thanks D-man

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Selentino said:
I was watching that had and decided against sniping it at the last moment :D I was going to ask Art or my local guy about cleaning and a new bash and ribbon but for some reson I just let it go. some of the other guys would know more but I thought there's more life in the old hat yet.
Congrats on the win.

I almost didn't bid to begin with and told my wife (later in the evening) that I was hoping someone would snipe me, lol

The problem is that I'm looking for a few specific colors and this was NOT one of them. I really need a grey hat (or a few shades of grey) and am hoping to find a shade of brown somewhere between dark Indi brown and Light tan.

So far no luck landing deals in either of those categories. Anyway, a hat for under $20 incl. shipping is still a hat for under $20. We'll see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy