Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Spats McGee

One Too Many
indycop said:
I think I see a gray Marathon down there, let's see if I can pull it up!lol lol
Did you get that big Marathon, indycop? If not, who did? I've been following this thread & still haven't figured it out!

billysmom

One Too Many
Required competencies for eBay?

I won this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370267007334&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT the other day. It arrived today. The seller listed its circumference as 21 1/2". It measures a full 22 1/2", making it suitable for warming my earlobes. I realize that I paid a pittance for this hat, but it's still annoying! The seller states that no returns are allowed, but I'll wait for a suggested remedy. (There's also a small moth nibble on top of the brim, but it's otherwise as listed.)

Perhaps there should be a basic competency check-off on tape measures for eBay sellers before being permitted to list items with dimensions??? :rolleyes:

Sue

Spats McGee

One Too Many
billysmom said:
I won this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370267007334&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT the other day. It arrived today. The seller listed its circumference as 21 1/2". It measures a full 22 1/2", making it suitable for warming my earlobes. I realize that I paid a pittance for this hat, but it's still annoying! The seller states that no returns are allowed, but I'll wait for a suggested remedy. (There's also a small moth nibble on top of the brim, but it's otherwise as listed.)

Perhaps there should be a basic competency check-off on tape measures for eBay sellers before being permitted to list items with dimensions??? :rolleyes:

Sue
Sue, in this context, I'd call a difference of one full inch "huge." If the seller just won't accept a return, I say either dispute it, or try to reclaim your money from resale.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You've got $27 into a pretty nice hat. At 6 7/8, that's what it was worth, but I bet that it's worth more as a hat on the brink of 7 1/4. It's not a justification, but it is a silver lining.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
seven_9.jpg

The famous Battle of Solferino that started the Red Cross.

billysmom

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
Good point, Lefty. Sue may actually be able to sell it for more than she paid.

Indeed. I"ll end up making a trip to the post office either way - return or sell. I hate selling on eBay because I dislike risking my 100% feedback rating. So it may hit the Classifieds.

I really was looking forward to working with the hat, though. But as my grandmother told me about men: "They're like city busses. There'll always be another one along in a few minutes."

Sue

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
I won this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370267007334&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT the other day. It arrived today. The seller listed its circumference as 21 1/2". It measures a full 22 1/2", making it suitable for warming my earlobes.

Sue

Sue,

What's the hat like, felt-wise? Stiff, soft? I've got a friend who is interested in a hat and it sounds like it's about the right size. Hopefully it's not the typical cardboard-stiff of later western hats!

Cheers,
Tom

Spats McGee

One Too Many
indycop said:
I haven't said anything about cos I half expect it to be the wrong size or something.... hopefully it will get here soon.lol
Well, in the event it turns out to be a size 7 1/2, I just might know where you can unload it . . . :rolleyes:

billysmom

One Too Many
Shudde Bros. OR clone

Tango Yankee said:
Sue,

What's the hat like, felt-wise? Stiff, soft? I've got a friend who is interested in a hat and it sounds like it's about the right size. Hopefully it's not the typical cardboard-stiff of later western hats!

Cheers,
Tom

2 3/4" brim, 5 1/4" uncreased crown, 1 3/4" sweat. No tags at all underneath the sweat to indicate size, block, reorder #, etc.

It's pretty stiff, but there's a puff of stiffener dust when I pop the crown which is encouraging. A soak in alcohol might dissolve the shellac. Or massage could free it up - but be ready with the vacuum to deal with the dust. Or even good old distilled water. The felt's fairly lightweight. Not nearly as heavy as my Stetson 25.

I have to scoot to choir practice, but I'll post pics later.

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart