Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mario said:
That Mayser IS old. Wait till mayserwegener finds out about this one! It's going to make him shaky... :eek: ;)

Be sure to post some pics over at the German & Austrian Hutmachers thread.

That's a truly great find, Sue!

Super find indeed! I have been looking for a Mayser Fedora like this one. They are indeed rare! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Looking forward to seeing more pictures once it arrives. It is possible there is a date stamp on the inside of the sweatband. Looks like the construction / components are very similar to my 50s Stetson - Mayser made Homburg.

Mario said:
I'm still hoping to find a 30's/40's Mayser one day, even though the chances are very small to bump into one of them...
The oldest Mayser in my collection is the beige colored Superbe from 1961.

It will be interesting to see more details when it arrives. I am thinking 50s but I could be wrong.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
billysmom said:
Last summer I purchased a Borsalino Homburg on eBay that turned out to be a Punti 7 - way too big for me, but it fit my husband so I kept it. He looks terrific in it, but has never worn it.

The other night he was fingering it and mumbled, "If you see a fedora for me on eBay you might buy it." :D He was thinking black, I told him that a nice gray would be much more useful.

So, striking while the iron was hot, I whipped out a tape measure and applied it to his noggin. 23 1/2" :eek: . This was going to get expensive.

I found this Mayser with a BIN and hit the button:

OHHHHH:cry: :cry:
I wanted to buy this guy for my dad

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Beaver Hat Company

Snagged this Beaver Hat Company fedora out of the 'bay today.

%21BiJks-gBWk%7E$%28KGrHqQH-CwEsLtZ%28HGIBLNQ-Hk42g%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21BiJktpw%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqEH-C0EsK81lDBNBLNQ-LWgC%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21BiJkuYg%212k%7E$%28KGrHqMH-D0EsL-qCgT9BLNQ-Pom,Q%7E%7E_12.JPG

The listing says it has a 2" brim but it looks like it might be a bit wider. Even if it's not, I like colors outside of the normal range and figured I couldn't go wrong at $22.50! :D

Cheers,
Tom

billysmom

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:

The listing says it has a 2" brim but it looks like it might be a bit wider. Even if it's not, I like colors outside of the normal range and figured I couldn't go wrong at $22.50! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Tom - I love the color! Let us know what the final dimensions turn out to be.

Sue

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
billysmom said:
Last summer I purchased a Borsalino Homburg on eBay that turned out to be a Punti 7 - way too big for me, but it fit my husband so I kept it. He looks terrific in it, but has never worn it.

Borsolghead.jpg

The other night he was fingering it and mumbled, "If you see a fedora for me on eBay you might buy it." :D He was thinking black, I told him that a nice gray would be much more useful.

So, striking while the iron was hot, I whipped out a tape measure and applied it to his noggin. 23 1/2" :eek: . This was going to get expensive.

I found this Mayser with a BIN and hit the button:

Mayser1.jpg

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it makes him a convert!

Sue​

From the commentary, it sounds like you picked a real winner for him; it looks good in the photos. However, I agree that he should definitely keep that homburg. He is a natural in it and if we can get together before the symphony season ends, I'll be in mine as well!​

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tango Yankee said:

Cheers,
Tom

Nice, TY. It is an interesting color and I really like the bow design with only a tail and nothing in front; very distinctive.

Mr. Paladin said:
From the commentary, it sounds like you picked a real winner for him; it looks good in the photos. However, I agree that he should definitely keep that homburg. He is a natural in it and if we can get together before the symphony season ends, I'll be in mine as well!

Yes the Homburg does look great! :eusa_clap

barrowjh

One Too Many
In reply to Jeff Connors

Scoring a 'steal' on a wide-brim of 2 3/8ths or wider will be much more difficult (and likely expensive) than picking up the stingies. My first two ebay 'victories' were stingy brims until I figured that out - now I don't bid unless it meets my specs for what I want; often have to question the seller to get details, and still, there are the occasional 'mistakes' where the seller's representations are a bit off the mark.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Sue! Will do.

Mr. Paladin said:
Nice, TY. It is an interesting color and I really like the bow design with only a tail and nothing in front; very distinctive.

Ah, you looked closely, Mr. Paladin! The first time I looked at it I didn't catch that detail because the eye sees what it expects to see. I've got another hat around here somewhere with a similar bow treatment. It gives it a bit of a "streamlined" look to my eye.

Cheers,
Tom

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
I'm new to the Lounge, and to the hat world in general. I picked up this vintage straw Borsalino for $40, and it's in fairly good condition. Other than having a slightly damaged sweatband, and stained liner, it looks brand new. Any thoughts as to how old? Did I overpay?

I think the price is fine. The important thing is that you like the hat. If you do like it, and get good use out of it, then it's surely worth it. Enjoy your vintage Borsalino and welcome to the Lounge! :)

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
Scoring a 'steal' on a wide-brim of 2 3/8ths or wider will be much more difficult (and likely expensive) than picking up the stingies. My first two ebay 'victories' were stingy brims until I figured that out - now I don't bid unless it meets my specs for what I want; often have to question the seller to get details, and still, there are the occasional 'mistakes' where the seller's representations are a bit off the mark.

Yes I have learned that lesson recently:eusa_doh: ..ohh well I now have 3 stingys that I can wear when out "jet setting" but no more stingies for me, gonna hold out for the wider brims, they just flat out look better on me and by themselves.

buler

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw