Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
G.B.Borsalino fu Lazzaro oldie

Not mine Pre-1935 Back bow.
!BmiBmPwBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEtor3gq,FBLf8Cdp0mQ~~_12.JPG
!BmiBbfg!mk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEtp)Dqgl7BLf8BmyVZ!~~_12.JPG
!BmiB0Ug!2k~$(KGrHqYH-CgEtrM6s27kBLf8DdvzuQ~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...754115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Spellflower

Practically Family
Up too late last night, thought I'd look at the newly posted auctions. Found this:

Did a few searches for Parkleigh, but all I found was Yeps's post asking for info. I googled "parkleigh hat" and found this:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=3413,3066198&dq=parkleigh+hat&hl=en

Today I see Yeps found another ad:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...E4PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=94QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4581,3633871

So it seems Parkleigh was the Gimbel's house brand. I read and re-read the description, and I doubt some of the claims, but it still looked to me like a very nice lid.

I made myself take a cold shower before pulling the trigger on the buy it now. I'd been looking at the reissue Whippets for the same price, and this should be a heckuva nicer hat. I hope I'm not disappointed.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Spellflower said:
Up too late last night, thought I'd look at the newly posted auctions. Found this:

So it seems Parkleigh was the Gimbel's house brand. I read and re-read the description, and I doubt some of the claims, but it still looked to me like a very nice lid.

I made myself take a cold shower before pulling the trigger on the buy it now. I'd been looking at the reissue Whippets for the same price, and this should be a heckuva nicer hat. I hope I'm not disappointed.
They were indeed Gimbel's basic economy House Label advertised up until 1969(or later perhaps). Not much chance of Beaver fur or 1930's, but standards were better then. Best of Luck.

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
My lastest Ebay binge

So here is a batch of Ebay buys from the last month or so:
First is a Cavanagh Milan Straw, Coffee color, 6 7/8. Wore this one all day yesterday in the nice weather, liking it a lot!
DSC00594.jpg
DSC00591.jpg
DSC00564.jpg
[/IMG]

Next is a Resistol 990, Astro Blue color, 7. This is an interesting color that changes in a purplish blue range depending on the light. I like this one too, its just a little too big on me. Will have to stuff the sweatband.
DSC00595.jpg
DSC00587.jpg
DSC00569.jpg
[/IMG]

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Zanzibarstar said:
So here is a batch of Ebay buys from the last month or so:
First is a Cavanagh Milan Straw, Coffee color, 6 7/8. Wore this one all day yesterday in the nice weather, liking it a lot!

Next is a Resistol 990, Astro Blue color, 7. This is an interesting color that changes in a purplish blue range depending on the light. I like this one too, its just a little too big on me. Will have to stuff the sweatband.
Some nice pick-ups. The shorter brims seem to work well for you.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:

Did a few searches for Parkleigh, but all I found was Yeps's post asking for info. I googled "parkleigh hat" and found this:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=3413,3066198&dq=parkleigh+hat&hl=en

Today I see Yeps found another ad:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...E4PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=94QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4581,3633871

According to the seller, it's very soft and one of his favorite hats. He thought it was from the '30s because of a card under the sweatband, but I told him probably early '50s. He and I have been discussing a hat he had thought about buying from me, not my buying his - he seems like a very honest, decent guy - I think you'll like the hat.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Thanks for the info, RLK! My thinking was that if Hatco made a hat these dimensions in felt as good as the stuff they made low-end hats out of in the 50's, I'd happily pay $140.

Actually, the fact that it's an "off brand" is part of the appeal to me- I will be able to wear it without worrying as much as I do when I trot out my Stetson Whippet.

ScottF said:
According to the seller, it's very soft and one of his favorite hats. He thought it was from the '30s because of a card under the sweatband, but I told him probably early '50s. He and I have been discussing a hat he had thought about buying from me, not my buying his - he seems like a very honest, decent guy - I think you'll like the hat.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Scott! I didn't think it was 30's, though I understand why he did. IJ has also led to a lot of confusion about what hats looked like at that period, and it does look a lot like the IJ fedora. Though his bash is nice, I have a predilection for diamonds.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spellflower said:
Thanks for the info, RLK! My thinking was that if Hatco made a hat these dimensions in felt as good as the stuff they made low-end hats out of in the 50's, I'd happily pay $140.

Actually, the fact that it's an "off brand" is part of the appeal to me- I will be able to wear it without worrying as much as I do when I trot out my Stetson Whippet.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Scott! I didn't think it was 30's, though I understand why he did. IJ has also led to a lot of confusion about what hats looked like at that period, and it does look a lot like the IJ fedora. Though his bash is nice, I have a predilection for diamonds.
Good to see you posting again man.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Thanks, Bolthead! I was distracted for a while by my other obsession- guitars. But the spring weather got me itching for a new lid, so here I am again. In fact, I'm on a bit of a tear- just won this this afternoon:

Beaver Brand Custom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:

I have a hat just like yours Parkleigh (high crown, shorter brim), and a Fed IV Deluxe - both are the same fawn color. I get IJ comments about the old one, but not the new one. I think it's because people are used to seeing the IJ hat which looks closer to modern fedoras, as does the Fed IV. That '30s look is kind of stunning (in a good way), and people look twice.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Spellflower said:
Thanks, Bolthead! I was distracted for a while by my other obsession- guitars. But the spring weather got me itching for a new lid, so here I am again. In fact, I'm on a bit of a tear- just won this this afternoon:

Beaver Brand Custom
I watched that one and seriously considered grabbing it with the BIN price. It looks really nice. Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart