Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
So, a size 7 Whippet - a hat that sold for less than $15 during its entire run - goes for $300-500, while a Stetson 100, which apparently sold for $100 to $679+ (or whatever the number was), in a 7 1/2, can be had for
under $200 for an older model with a regular Stetson box
With that plastic liner, I figure it's not an older model. Indeed, I assume
the box is the older item. If it had a straight up satin liner, I would have bid.
Still a good deal and I had some remorse on seeing the final price.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
pretty good deal on a nice Dobbs, 7 3/8
362776034_tp.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I have not seen that label before - any idea as to time period?
The liner is likely unique to Desmond's. The sweatband appears to be a Tru-size with the fuzzy five lobe tassle at the rear which is common in the late 1930's-early 1940's.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
The liner is likely unique to Desmond's. The sweatband appears to be a Tru-size with the fuzzy five lobe tassle at the rear which is common in the late 1930's-early 1940's.

That's about right. I've seen several of that style liner, all dating to about the mid-'30s, and most of them had a store's name under the Dobbs logo, though I've seen one that didn't. It was probably designed specifically for store branding.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:

Brad Bowers said:
That's about right. I've seen several of that style liner, all dating to about the mid-'30s, and most of them had a store's name under the Dobbs logo, though I've seen one that didn't. It was probably designed specifically for store branding.

Brad

Thanks Robert, Brad. Trying to not buy hats, but the 3" raw brim and high crown were irresistible.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks Robert, Brad. Trying to not buy hats, but the 3" raw brim and high crown were irresistible.
Congrats, I actually restrained myself for once[huh] Last week was a major money drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany