Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, tech mixup

I just did not look beyond the 1st gaffe spotted, now that I look at it, yes, the whole description is a non-match, raw-edge (bound in the pics), creamy color (brown, cordovan, or maybe an oxblood per the pics), claimed as a resistol, but none of the pics show any resistol markings. Yup, wrong set of pictures for that listing altogether.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox Derby

385249580_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-1800s-m...ccessories&hash=item563daeb83a#ht_2100wt_1139
Nice older Derby in a 7-3/8 size but still a surprising amount of interest--about 3 times the usual $$.

donnc

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
What I want to know is has anyone ever been convinced to check out a listing because the seller put L@@K!!! in the title? For some reason I find that rather annoying, and if I L@@K!!! it's in spite of, not because of it being there.

Oh, I never L@@K if I can help it, but "Wow!" is a different matter. I reckon if it isn't worth a "Wow!", it probably doesn't amount to much.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Wow! I was impressed that it was at 120-something yesterday. It's a really nice derby, but I don't think anyone would have predicted that price.

The seller got lucky - only two bidders and they both wanted it badly. This happens.

Edited to add: there have been a couple of times where I put a $300 snipe on a 7 3/8 hat that normally would go for around $150. I knew that if a certain lounger was also interested, I would pay near $300 or lose altogether. And for the same hat in a 7 1/4, if rlk was interested I pay full value :) ...and for 6 7/8 I pay $19 lol

HAPPY JULY 5th!!!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SWEET!

From Morris' Men's Shop at the world famous STOCKYARD INN in Chicago! Where the cattlemen used to reward themselves for another herd successfully brought to market.From the looks of the sweat maybe a 25 or better as it has the ties that seem to be characteristic of the numbered models.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
WTF moment...

I've been trying to acquire a hat flange and decided to send a seller a PM asking him if he might have one in the size I'm looking for. I'd like to share with all my little back-and-forth communication with this guy. I think he's full of-you know-what. You judge. The italics are mine.

Me: Hi I'm in the lookout for a 7 1/4 size flange with 2 3/4 brim. Sounds like you may have it. Let me know and I'll buy it from you. Thanks.

He: We can help you with a flange. Would need to talk with you more to determine what internal circumference you need. Sizes do not mean much for too many reasons to get into here. Do not wish to send you a flange you are dissatisfied with or is no good to you. Would be happy to work with you to get a flange you can make use of. Please send you email or phone number or both.

So far so good...

Me: Hi,Thanks for replying. The size of the flange I want is 7 1/4 which could be translated to 22 1/2 inches to a max of 22 3/4 inches of diameter of the hole where the hat gets inserted through. The critical part is the brim size which for my needs has to be 2 3/4 inches. (measured from the edge of the hat hole to the edge of the flange but not wrapping around it. Does this make sense?)
Hope you can help me. My email address is...

WTF moment comes...now!

He:It makes sense you wish a flange for sure and I think you need some education to understand what size you need and why. I think you may be making an error on your needs but who am I to second guess anyone as I have only done this 32 years now.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :p

Me: What an interesting respond from somebody who says he's been "doing this" for 32 years (unless "doing this" means selling stuff online)
How can I be making an error on what I want--and since you brought up the education part let me tell you that I've been learning some skills for about 3 years now with a man that's been in the business of custom hats in a shop that's been around since 1922--What I want is quite simple: wooden hat flanges have, usually, 3 numbers carved on the edge. One corresponds to the style of the hat (i.e western; fedora; trilby; homburg, etc) the second one corresponding to the size of the hat( 7 1/2; 7 1/4; and so forth) and the third one corresponding to the dimensions of the brim. As simple as that. I asked you for one with the numbers 7 1/4 and 2 3/4, you replied that size doesn't always matter (odd statement) an asked for circumference and brim measurement. Sent you those numbers and get your bizarre respond. I'm starting to build up my own equipment but it's clear this item won't come from you. Thanks.

Stay tuned as he has not answered yet. In the mean time, this person has had this flanges listed for a while. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120485541233

Update: This came as soon as I finished sending this post.

He: I am sorry could not help you more. Will see you round the next time you come by.

Me right now:[huh] come by? [huh] (I didn't send him this btw. No point communicating further with this guy.) lol lol

Update # 2. He sent another email saying he hopes to help me in the future and signed as Charlie at gladhatter.com. Has anyone heard from this fellow?

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
He Of Whom We Do Not Speak..

The guy is so messed up he is banned from even being talked about here. If you do a little digging you can get the reasons why. I can attest personally so I am not spreading rumor. Just steer clear...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
M_Jones said:
The guy is so messed up he is banned from even being talked about here. If you do a little digging you can get the reasons why. I can attest personally so I am not spreading rumor. Just steer clear...

I'm glad I didn't give him my business.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
Maybe a stunt hat from a Laurel and Hardy film or a hard hat for VERY formal construction sites from back in the day??lol

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Usually they're used by trumpet players in the same way they use the rubber part of a toilet plunger. Don't remember what the technique is called.

This one looks a little taller than usual.

Brad

blixa00

One of the Regulars
BB is right...it is a mute used by trumpet and trombone players. Wiki refers to a "hat" mute shaped like a bowler...that would be the one, these are used to give horns that "wah-wah" type effect.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn