Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
Whats up with this?

Look at this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220629754455&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$36.99 for a mode edge, looks to be 2 1/2+ brim, nice tan or light brown Stetson 15, no visible damage and no shipping. Where was the competition for that?

Another almost as bad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130404617900&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
CORDOVA color felt, appears to be a fair quality Resistol, for $42, plus shipping still under $55?

These are an ill wind, combined with the way Whippets have recently sold for prices well down from their lofty peaks of a short time ago.

Are vintage hat auction prices tracking right along with the DJIA, all of a sudden in a down trend?

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
One I just got for cheeeeeep off e-bay. It needs a cleaning very badly.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
These are an ill wind, combined with the way Whippets have recently sold for prices well down from their lofty peaks of a short time ago.

Are vintage hat auction prices tracking right along with the DJIA, all of a sudden in a down trend?

I wouldn't say "ill wind", seems pretty normal to me.

Tan and brown aren't as popular as gray. Size matters - a lot.

A gray 7 3/8 Whippet sold yesterday for $296, a mocha 7 1/8 sold last week for $154, a kind of rough 7 1/4 in taupe sold a couple weeks ago for $103 and nobody has taken the bait yet on the "what color IS that ribbon" gray 7 1/8 LO on BIN.

I'm a little hesitant with the "tan" hats. I really would like one in tan/khaki but if it doesn't match my slacks exactly the clash is obvious. Sometimes I wonder if these people even look at their photos before they put them up.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Lighter Colors

I fell in love with a sand-color felt hat that Art wore to Monteagle in March, and have been focusing on filling out my collection of winter felts with lighter colors. For those new to the habit, greys will always be desireable, but I am sort of burnt out on them, especially the silver-belly thin-ribbons / OR clones. I collected enough greys in my first two years of hat-wearing to last a couple of lifetimes, at least, so I am just not interested in picking up another grey hat at all.

Now, if the felt appears to be superb (such as a Resistol beaver 25 in silver belly) and the hat appears to be under-appreciated based on the bidding, I will jump on good felt at cheap prices every day because I have two nephews that also wear 7 1/8th so I can pass those along to them. However, I am not seeking to buy any more greys and let most of them pass me by.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I just took a look. Seven tan/khaki/sand colored hats. All different colors and not a one matches the color of the slacks I wear most often. I just end up wearing something with a good contrast.

I have five different grays. One of those will work with most anything.

The hardest thing about eBay is those photos. Find a really nice looking brown, read the description and find out the hat is really gray. Or that nice gray hat is really black. Etc.

Better photos matter in auction prices...

ECHT BRABANT HAARHUT, Special Negretti Qualität, Modell "Adonis",

I recently won a couple of old Homburgs.

ECHTER BRABANT HAARHUT so might point to a Belgium felt source. Also supposedly NOS condition.

!Bwknh4wB2k~$(KGrHqV,!hEEv1+0GgI,BMJmbdvf9w~~_12.JPG

Special Negretti Qualität, Modell "Adonis" so might point to an Italian source.

!Bw,+sUgEGk~$(KGrHqUOKkUEvuEDCLOcBMI4mB)7U!~~_12.JPG

SteveAS

Practically Family
I don't know the model name (Gay Prince?), but it looks very lightly worn and has lots of interesting features: whip-stitiched, heather grey, maybe a little fuzzy . . . and cheap (auction link). It's only a size 7, but a 7 usually fits me if it hasn't shrunken from use . . .

rlk

I'll Lock Up
SteveAS said:
I don't know the model name (Gay Prince?), but it looks very lightly worn and has lots of interesting features: whip-stitiched, heather grey, maybe a little fuzzy . . . and cheap (auction link). It's only a size 7, but a 7 usually fits me if it hasn't shrunken from use . . .
Very nice Stetson Tijuana!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn