Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
nifty Pilgrim panama, 7 3/8

I don't know if we ever came up with a name for this style, but I know TY has one of these wild hats.
404413977_o.jpg

404414042_o.jpg

404414013_o.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
This is a some what modern Hückel made by TONAK. All Nový Jičín hat factories were nationalized as TONAK after WWII. Both the Hückel and Peschel famlies were expelled and ended up in Bavaria where they started new factories. They both went out of business in the early 1970s. JHS was the biggest / oldest (1799) in Nový Jičín so TONAK used their factory and are still in operation today. It was complicated situation. In my opinion JHS made some of finest hats ever. Their Velours were the finest I have encountered (see my avatar). Looking forward to seeing more details on this one. If you want more info check this link.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-huckel%c2%b4s-sohne-huckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/
That's very cool. I love the history of some of these hats.
Thanks!
Mike

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
not me. Sorry, Tango Yankee has (had?) one with a purple lining (I think), and there was some discussion about whether it was a woman's hat. Here we go.
Its for formal horseback riding mostly a women's style(although not necessarily used on horseback). A traditional Spanish style. Man's Gaucho style is same type.
Interior of a more recent Ladies Equestrian Hat
IMG_3395.jpg

thebroker

One of the Regulars
The Good said:
Wait, so you have? It is a very nice hat, isn't it? Were you the bidder that was competing with me to the point we were almost tied, "a***l," the one with 10 stars? Thank you for the congratulations, though! I will post pictures of it in about a week when it arrives.

No sir, I stopped a couple of days ago at about $50. :)

Mayser Zylinderhut

I picked up this size 59cm Mayser Zylinderhut for 45,50 EURO. It is the first Mayser Top Hat I have encountered and also in my size. Not sure on the dating but guessing some where in the early 1900s.

!B4W)f2wB2k~$(KGrHqJ,!h4EycN-jb-NBMpj!JIt4Q~~_12.JPG

!B4W)gQQEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!hIE)77TRuEGBMpj!KPtdw~~_12.JPG

DOUGLAS said:
Beautiful Hat and interior especially, congrats. It is always a bonus when they fit.

Thanks! :) I having been looking for a Mayser and P. & C. Habig Top Hat for some time. I lost out on a couple of Habigs but won this Mayser.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mayser - I know that there are toppers with big sweats but, from that angle, the sweat seems to run more than half the length of the crown. Please measure that when you get it, as it looks to be the biggest sweat I've ever seen. Great buy. :eusa_clap

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
Glad you won it! I'm inclined to say early- to mid-'40s on it. That particular paper label was being used by 1940 and perhaps a few years earlier, but the sweatband seam is stitched, so that almost certainly makes it post-'40.

Brad
Thanks Brad. That was more or less my guess. Good point, RLK, too.
I was just wondering if perhaps it broke into the 1930s.

My guess (and hope) is that it is a very light weight hat, based on
the sewn-in, almost Panama-like partial lining.

I asked and the seller does not appear to know a lot about the hat.
I was hoping he knew the original owner and had the story. No such luck.

Will report when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred