Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did a search on this site from Google the other day. Brought up cached pages in the old format.
Man, was that easier on the eyes.

I might add that at least some of the thread numbers have changed. So if you do such a search, you get
the wrong threads. That's going to kill a lot of the search prospects for this site and a fair number of the
links in the posts, if it's across the board.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Edit: also sorry to note that the thread problem is known already. I haven't had time till now to glance at the
Observation Bar. I promise to post about a hat next time I come around here...

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
My 2 new lids...

I received two in the mails, today. One from board member Garrett (the beautiful brown Lee brand) and a Resistol in gray with a resistol box.

resistol_Lee.jpg

resistol_02.jpg

resistol_03.jpg

resistol_01.jpg

lee_01.jpg

lee_02.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
I see he at least started making some changes to his wording on other auctions. Maybe he realized he was wrong after our pissing match was over.

I received a hat this week that was described as, "never worn." The vintage hat was in fantastic shape, but not in "never worn" shape. The sweatband had that faint dried white stuff from the wearers sweat drying on it, etc. I thought about your pissing match, Cane Rod Maker, and for me this sums it up best: In sales it is better to underpromise and overdeliver than vice-versa.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I received a hat this week that was described as, "never worn." The vintage hat was in fantastic shape, but not in "never worn" shape. The sweatband had that faint dried white stuff from the wearers sweat drying on it, etc. I thought about your pissing match, Cane Rod Maker, and for me this sums it up best: In sales it is better to underpromise and overdeliver than vice-versa.

I absolutely agree with that. The few extra dollars you MIGHT get from pumping up the sale aren't worth disappointing a buyer.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I absolutely agree with that. The few extra dollars you MIGHT get from pumping up the sale aren't worth disappointing a buyer.

I always figure the more fluff and hype in the description the less likely it is to be entirely accurate. Don't write a novel, just describe the hat accurately.

They way some of those people are reminds me so much of Billy What's-his-name the hollering promoter.

honestly guys, you're buying stuff sight unseen over the interwebs from people who may know next to nothing about hats and/or condition and/or size. They said it was like new, but there was something on the sweatband that I could wipe off … come on: the bloody thing's 70 years old.:eusa_doh:

You pays you money, you takes your chances … Or you get out and find the pleasure of finding hats the old way: estate sales or antique malls/thrifting. eBay has changed the vintage market and not always for the better. (I realise this is a common refrain, but it's not without its merits. If only for 2001 prices, I would go back to pre-2001 hat collecting)

bk

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
honestly guys, you're buying stuff sight unseen over the interwebs from people who may know next to nothing about hats and/or condition and/or size. They said it was like new, but there was something on the sweatband that I could wipe off … come on: the bloody thing's 70 years old.:eusa_doh:

You pays you money, you takes your chances … Or you get out and find the pleasure of finding hats the old way: estate sales or antique malls/thrifting. eBay has changed the vintage market and not always for the better. (I realise this is a common refrain, but it's not without its merits. If only for 2001 prices, I would go back to pre-2001 hat collecting)

bk

I also agree with this. We all take risks when we buy this stuff unseen. It's really part of the excitement. I wasn't targeting a seller who honestly knows nothing about hats and is doing to best they can - I am talking about the ones practicing to deceive and they clearly exist. It doesn't take a hat expert to see wear stains on the sweatband and then claim "brand new never been worn" and they have 10 hats for sale of varying condition. The bottom line is we all have a choice - take the risk and play the game or don't. I choose to play the game. I get a sick rush out of it. I have been very pleasantly surprised and also a little let down. It happens. I can't complain much because I've never returned anything.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
"Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest."

See, that is how I was looking at it. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people get upset when someone else just wants to VENT, for cripes sakes. Everyone takes everything so damn seriously. This thread SAYS it is for gripes. Then when someone gripes we get moralizers taking the nihilist's path. We get "perfect doesn't really mean perfect," or "gosh its just ebay," or "you DO know you take your chances"... as if everyone DOESN'T know all this?? Sometimes people just want to vent about a bad experience. That is all. Friends should let friends vent without moralizing all the time.

I'm questioning whether a sweat mark on a sweat band is really a bad experience, one to get worked up about, not whether one should or should not gripe. Do we suggest that trivial gripes shouldn't be questioned?

There is an ongoing issue with vintage hat collectors of relatively recent vintage who seem to imagine that all these hats are going to be perfect, never worn, and exactly in every respect their opinions on condition issues are going to gel with the opinions of the seller. The only way around it, to be honest, is to do the legwork and source the hats in person.

"… moralisers taking the nihilist's path …"?

I use what I paid for items off ebay when I calculate my donations to clothing charities. Some stuff goes straight from the box to the donation bag. It is a site unseen flea market. I do feel this thread is good therapy for venting & griping as it should. Gloating is surely allowed for the good snags!
Hello, my name is GT & I'm a lid-oholic....

Last edited:

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I'm questioning whether a sweat mark on a sweat band is really a bad experience, one to get worked up about, not whether one should or should not gripe. Do we suggest that trivial gripes shouldn't be questioned?

I suggest that it is not any person's duty to decide whether another person's experience was bad or not or whether or not it is "trivial".

If you think it is trivial then ignore it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I suggest that it is not any person's duty to decide whether another person's experience was bad or not or whether or not it is "trivial".

If you think it is trivial then ignore it.

Under most circumstances, I'd agree, but he started the thread on "perfect" asking for input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou