Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Feather banded cowboy, N-M sourced Churchill Ltd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270669770602

auction pic:

churchill1.jpg

churchill2.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's good to see him making money on some of these hats. They're all pretty great, but some of them have been going very cheap.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you ever look through Ebay and find a hat that you own and can't belief how much they are asking?
http://cgi.ebay.com/willis-and-geig...Men_s_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item2c592bd349

http://cgi.ebay.com/willis-and-geig...Men_s_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item2c592bb0b5

these hats are 150.00 and 200.00.

Here I am in my Orvis hat.
safarifront.jpg

Safarivents.jpg

Funny thing is I paid $5.00 at the Orvis Tent sale at their Headquarters.
Does anyone know who made this hat and if it is really worth 150.00-200.00

Jeff

Got this 'un fer $35 shipped from our own very generous Mr. Reetpleat:
Willis and Geiger fur felt safari slouch hat large & within the week nailed this dead ringer for about the same coin VTG BANANA REPUBLIC FUR FELT SAFARI FEDORA HAT 7 3/8l which is, quite oddly, lined! [huh]... but I have seen them go quite high $100 or so.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Someone sure wanted this Green Lee. They outbid themselves 3 times over.

For the life of me, I don't understand why people do this. Is it supposed to scare off other potential bidders? "I really, really want this hat -- so bidding against me is futile..."

The whole thing seems silly to me...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
For the life of me, I don't understand why people do this. Is it supposed to scare off other potential bidders? "I really, really want this hat -- so bidding against me is futile..."

The whole thing seems silly to me...

I don't bid that way myself, but I would observe that, of all the silly things we around here do, that seems pretty far down the list ... ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I dunno -- I'd say that, as far as eBay bidding practices go, it's way up there on the silly list...;)

Most of the time, it seems like a snipe usually trumps these repeat bids -- kind of like Indy pulling a gun on the guy with the scimitar...:D

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
I dunno -- I'd say that, as far as eBay bidding practices go, it's way up there on the silly list...;)

Most of the time, it seems like a snipe usually trumps these repeat bids -- kind of like Indy pulling a gun on the guy with the scimitar...:D

Since I've done this myself, I'll explain an instance where I think it makes sense. I refuse to use a snipe program because you have to give them your ebay id/password. So I may see an item I like and put a "starting" bid on it. One of the reasons I like to put a low bid in on something is those cases where someone convinces the seller to add a BIN or end the auction early. Now its getting closer to the end of the auction and someone has bumped the bid up close to my max. I'll go increase my max to what I'm really willing to pay..... or sometimes I rethink my max and decide I want to raise it. I know its not as efficient as holding all your cards and sniping your bid in at the last second, but its my only option because I'm not willing to use a sniper.

I didn't go review the whole bidding chain on that green Lee, so that may be a whole separate case, but this is my explanation as to why you may see "raises" of your own bid.

B

billyspew

One Too Many
Since I've done this myself, I'll explain an instance where I think it makes sense. I refuse to use a snipe program because you have to give them your ebay id/password. So I may see an item I like and put a "starting" bid on it. One of the reasons I like to put a low bid in on something is those cases where someone convinces the seller to add a BIN or end the auction early. Now its getting closer to the end of the auction and someone has bumped the bid up close to my max. I'll go increase my max to what I'm really willing to pay..... or sometimes I rethink my max and decide I want to raise it. I know its not as efficient as holding all your cards and sniping your bid in at the last second, but its my only option because I'm not willing to use a sniper.

I didn't go review the whole bidding chain on that green Lee, so that may be a whole separate case, but this is my explanation as to why you may see "raises" of your own bid.

B

That's basically my strategy and why I don't use snipers.

Generally I put in what I am willing to pay and then wait. If it goes for above that, I have no problem as I wasn't willing to pay that. I don't often lose an auction I really want to win.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Buler -- duly noted. I've done the same thing -- there are times when I have put in a second bid after deciding that I might need to raise the amount of my maximum.

But, the phenomenon I'm talking about is where a bidder places three or so bids all at the same time -- one right on top of the other -- which tends to leave me scratching my head...

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've used snipes but, like Buler, I've also just put in the minimum bid to "lock" a seller into a sale, and there's always the chance that no one else will bid. I know, it's not much of a lock. If I'm outbid, then I might move to a snipe or put in a "real" bid in the last seconds.

buler

I'll Lock Up
That's basically my strategy and why I don't use snipers.

Generally I put in what I am willing to pay and then wait. If it goes for above that, I have no problem as I wasn't willing to pay that. I don't often lose an auction I really want to win.

I have lost quite a few auctions where the winner ends up with it at $1 over my max. But none of those really sticks in my mind so I don't regret it. Plus, that winner won by the $1 but may have been willing to go way higher. I have sat in at the very end of an auction and bid more than I really wanted to because I "wanted to win". Those stick in my mind.

B

danofarlington

Thanks, Buler -- duly noted. I've done the same thing -- there are times when I have put in a second bid after deciding that I might need to raise the amount of my maximum.

But, the phenomenon I'm talking about is where a bidder places three or so bids all at the same time -- one right on top of the other -- which tends to leave me scratching my head...

Maybe they are senile. They forgot they just bid a minute ago.

Rick Blaine

From the quasi-mythical pre-war "Sofia Stash" aka Simeon Zlateff Hoard

Simeon Zlateffs' daughter (who herself must be, well, no spring chicken, eh?) is the source for these slowly trickling out of Bulgaria.
cervo.jpg

I cannot understand why someone has failed to BIN this!

For less than the price of a new, inferior, contemporary hat you can instead wear an eighty year old never worn NOS, European Cervo Bantam! Is everyone broke (as am I) or bloody BLIND?
[huh]

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I use a sniping service. I have saved a lot of money that way. I bid on rare hats and have no time to get caught up with emotional bidders. My pocketbook thanks me for it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou