Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

gholla

New in Town
Did a fellow lounger win this 30's Dobbs? If so, woudst thou be so magnanimous as to consider selling or trading it ;) ? I really had my eye on that sucker ... that ribbon color is sweet.

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
On that "Indy Hat," I'm sorry, but nothing that wasn't actually IN THE MOVIE should be qualified as the "rarest Indiana Jones items in the world." It was NOT in the movie and was not connected to it in but the most tangential of ways. How in the good lord's name someone thought it was worth a thousand dollars I'll never understand.

Let's talk value, Mobile V. It seems with Adventurebuilt a hat in the hand is worth two on order...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I was trying for that Dobbs too. Whoever won it used a sniper I believe.

Or it could have been someone with a good Internet connection and fast typing. There's no way to tell. But it doesn't matter whether the bid is done automatically by a sniper, by ebay with it's automatic increments once you've entered your highest bid (if it's higher than the current minimum bid), or by someone bidding manually--whomever bids the highest before the closing wins.

I didn't bid on that one as I hadn't seen it, and I hadn't seen it because I'm not currently seriously looking. But had I been bidding on it I would have done so with a sniper, combined with a very serious bid if I was determined to win. As it is the winner got a good price on it. For me, a sniper does several things: it ensures I do not forget to bid or don't miss out if I'm not near a computer at the auction's end (fire and forget); it keeps me from getting into a bidding war in the last few minutes, thus jacking up the price and possibly going beyond what I was originally willing to pay (bidding fever); it enables me to make timely, last second bids despite the fact I have very crappy Internet access since I have to use satellite (Hughes.net--have I mentioned lately I hate them?); and it may lull other bidders into thinking they don't have much competition based on the bidding or lack of it.

Here endeth the lesson. Welcome to the Lounge, Donny2guns! :D

Cheers,
Tom

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I am an Indiana Jones fan, and understand the significance of Adventurebilt, but I think the prices of his 'standard' hats are too high. Now, thats too high for me. I would never tell someone I dont know not to buy something because I thought it was too expensive. But a grand for a hat that has no special significance other than it was made with the same materials/size, etc as what what Ford wore, and Ford did not wear this one, and it wasnt even anywhere near production, stored in a reverse-humidor? The seller should go into marketing or advertising, making what is essentially a regular, everyday hat, although made a specific way, into a 'something special.' Of course, all this is just my own humble opinion, but hey, as long as we're here . . .

As far as the Fed IV, yes that hat was creased to accommodate the turn. Very easy to undo. No hatter necessary. Wet it with a spray bottle, punch it out to open, recrease, let dry. I have a couple of Fed IVs and I love 'em.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

It's just a program that will automatically place a preselected maximum bid at a time specified by the user (typically in the final seconds). Sniper use confers no particular advantage. It's more a matter of convenience.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
How in the good lord's name someone thought it was worth a thousand dollars I'll never understand.

Well, putting to the side whether any particular person here would be willing to spend $1,000 for that lid (or even $650 for a standard AB) -- I do understand it.

For starters, the AB is now going for $650. So, the question is -- is an AB, made from the same original production run felt as the lids used in the movie, and, ostensibly, with that particular inscription from Steve Delk on the back of the sweat, worth a premium over and above the standard price of an AB? Sure it is. From a collecting standpoint, I think that's a pretty neat hat to have. (And no -- I didn't buy it...;))

I was lucky enough to order an AB DeLuxe from Marc Kitter about nine months prior to the release of "Crystal Skull." At the time, Marc had on hand some rawbodies that were from the same run as that used to make his hats for the film. He was kind enough to set one of these aside to make my lid. I think that aspect gives the hat an interesting extra dimension.

In any event -- relatively speaking -- it probably is true that ABs made from the original production run felt are, by definition, a rare commodity. Taken along with the other aspects of the particular AB featured in the auction, the price isn't necessarily as outrageous as it might initially seem...

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lol thanks for the welcome and the lesson. I just a few seconds ago scored my first Borsalino, man am I pumped I'll post a pic when I get it.

Save some energy for actually wearing the hat. For new hat wearers especially, finding sufficient occasions to wear the hat is important to justify the purchase and your expectations of it. In my case I went years between having a few hats, and wearing them very much. I had a lot of enthusiasm about the hats in principle, but was afraid to wear them. Then I got older and decided I'm not afraid to wear them anymore, even though no one else around was doing it.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
A reasonable point, Jimmy. Certainly it is all relative. I wouldn't find the cost justifiable, but that is probably because I liked the movie but don't have any interest at all in collecting things from it or surrounding it. I do understand the cost issue, of course. After all, everything can be sold to someone, right? But my main issue was more with the seller on ebay basically saying it was an artifact from the movie. It just isn't.

Donny2guns

Familiar Face
Save some energy for actually wearing the hat. For new hat wearers especially, finding sufficient occasions to wear the hat is important to justify the purchase and your expectations of it. In my case I went years between having a few hats, and wearing them very much. I had a lot of enthusiasm about the hats in principle, but was afraid to wear them. Then I got older and decided I'm not afraid to wear them anymore, even though no one else around was doing it.

I wear my fedoras on a daily basis to work with my vintage overcoats. On weekends I like to wear with my turtlenecks and vintage wool suits/vests. I have been collecting for some time but only recently found this forum. Initially I was apprehensive to actually wear them but like you said I worked up the courage to wear them and I now feel much more comfortable in my hats than with contemporary ball caps or knit hats.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my fedoras on a daily basis to work with my vintage overcoats. On weekends I like to wear with my turtlenecks and vintage wool suits/vests. I have been collecting for some time but only recently found this forum. Initially I was apprehensive to actually wear them but like you said I worked up the courage to wear them and I now feel much more comfortable in my hats than with contemporary ball caps or knit hats.

Very good. Sorry, I thought you were new to it. You might wear them more than I do. Anyway, to those who are brand new to it, I would still say, wear them.

fmw

One Too Many
Hi. New guy here. I bought my first fedora today on Ebay - an inexpensive panama hat called a Stetson Frontier. I look forward to Spring when it will be appropriate to wear it.

Over the years I've worn mostly western hats and Kangol caps. I would guess the closest western hat I have to a fedora is the Stetson Sturgis which is more like an outback hat. I don't like baseball caps at all - on anyone.

But at any rate, nice to meet you all. I look forward to contributing to your community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy