Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

hats in newspaper - noooooooooooooo

Last weekend I bid on and won this hat. Arrived today - a newer Resistol in a light tobacco tan, interesting style and looks unworn.

All good stuff... until the seller put the hat in a box and filled the void with crumpled newspaper. No plastic around the hat. I would think someone with 3000 transactions on ebay would know that newsprint ink transfers. Perhaps they've never read the NY Times on an airplane. Nothing that a thorough cleaning won't fix, but I'm glad it wasn't a more expensive vintage purchase. :eek:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[...] the seller put the hat in a box and filled the void with crumpled newspaper. No plastic around the hat. I would think someone with 3000 transactions on ebay would know that newsprint ink transfers. Perhaps they've never read the NY Times on an airplane. Nothing that a thorough cleaning won't fix, but I'm glad it wasn't a more expensive vintage purchase. :eek:

Oh my, that is a drag. I do hope it cleans up nicely. :cool:

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
I know this probably has been one of them deceased equine subjects, but I just had to vent here for a bit regarding eBay sellers unfamiliar with how to measure a hat.

There was a listing for a Stetson with a size listed as "medium." I asked the seller for a measurement of the inside circumference. He/she responded, stating merely that the listing had been updated. Here is what he/she posted in the listing:

measurement of the inside circumference of this hat 7 1/2" x 6 1/2" wide

Well, I couldn't help myself. I responded with another question - something along the lines that I might not remember my elementary-school math correctly, but I seem to recall that "circumference" means the distance AROUND the circle, not across, and could he/she kindly run a tape around the hatband on the inside, and post the results...

I apologize in advance if the seller is a Lounger. O.K., vent over.

Last edited:

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Well, dang it, the seller apparently automatically posts questions and answers in his/her listing, and he/she took offense at my question, and posted such in the listing.

Then he/she apparently turned off this feature, as my apology is not showing up. It just seems to me that hat sellers would generate more activity in their auctions if appropriate measurements were listed.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Here is what he/she posted in the listing:

measurement of the inside circumference of this hat 7 1/2" x 6 1/2" wide

Well, I can understand your frustration but what was posted actually is useful. All you need is an ellipse circumference calculator. I have found it handy, and sometimes think that you're likely to get a more accurate measurement this way. It can be difficult for a seller to get an accurate measurement of the interior circumference of the sweatband, but measurements straight across in two directions is fairly straightforward. All you have to do then is translate the 1/4 or 1/2 or whatever to decimal.

In this case it calculates to a 22.04717707282699" circumference. :D

I hope this helps prevent future frustrations! :)

Merry Christmas,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Yes, because it's patently unacceptable for a buyer to do some basic research before bidding on an item.

Not sure where you're going with this, but unfortunately it is possible for a person new to vintage hats to fixate on the "Whippet" and not twig to the fact that it's a homburg. I think it's incumbent upon the seller to do some basic research before listing something so they can list it accurately. The fact that this particular seller has acknowledged that they know it's wrong and yet hasn't corrected the listing indicates to me that the seller may not have made an innocent error in the listing, or even if they did decided to let it go in hopes of catching out an uninformed buyer.

As it's been up this long without a taker does indicate that the people checking it out do know it's not a true Whippet or if they don't haven't decided to go that high for one yet.

Cheers,
Tom

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Right on, Tom. It IS incumbent on sellers to be truthful (just as it is incumbent on buyers to become educated on what they are buying). And if sellers refuse to correct their misleading auctions and then get all faux mad at someone pointing out the truth to them... then it is pretty obvious that they didn't just accidentally post incorrect info but are posting it on purpose to mislead and ripoff buyers.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Wow! An ellipse circumference calculator! What a great Christmas present. Seeing as how a bunch of eBay sellers seem to list hat measurements this way (length x width), this oughta come in handy.

Thanks, Yank!

The Other Lefty

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wow! An ellipse circumference calculator! What a great Christmas present. Seeing as how a bunch of eBay sellers seem to list hat measurements this way (length x width), this oughta come in handy.

Thanks, Yank!

The Other Lefty

You're quite welcome, and also welcome to the Lounge!

I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in the late '80s, loved Austin! Still have friends down there at Lone Star BMW. Last time I was there was in early 2001--it's certainly changed quite a bit. If you get the chance, check out my buddy's band "The Soulphonics". www.the-soulphonics.com They often play at the Carousel Lounge.

Cheers,
Tom

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
The annoying thing is with the holiday going it will probably be double the amount of delivery time!! Plus I am going to Washington DC on Jan 4, so if it hasn't come before then it'll likely come while I am away and make me wait even LONGER to see if I got what I THINK I'm getting! Ugh. Life is so unfair.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Ya know. After these two come and I decide what I am going to do with them (depending on if they are as advertised) I think I am changing my hat buying direction.

At first I was toying with the idea of being a "fedora collector." To me that meant having at least one of all the well-known makers (Mallory, Dobbs, Stetson, Cavanagh, etc., etc.) It also meant getting some representations of as many styles and eras as I could. Trilbys, Homburgs, 1920s, forward... the whole gamut.

But, now I've decided that isn't the road I can take.

First of all, I simply haven't the room to put this collection. I already have over 20 and am wondering where in Heaven's name I could put any more of them. I collect civil war artifacts, old 1800s era photos, and political campaign buttons. But all these things have one thing in common. They are small in size. Aside from the rifles, muskets and swords, most civil war artifacts (that I can afford, anyway) aren't bigger than a canteen or a cartridge box. Political buttons are small and photos are small and thin. Hats on the other hand take a lot of space. Space I don't have.

Also, I have come to realize that I am not fond of hats made before the 1940s. Don't like the style because they just look horrible on me. Tall crowns, Homburgs, small brims... I just look wrong in them.

So, these limitations are fully realized at last. I have to face the facts that I just don't have the capability to be a "fedora collector." So, that means hats I can and will wear only in my size are my goal. No more getting hats just to have them "in the collection."

rlk

I'll Lock Up
!C!UzW-wEWk~$(KGrHqV,!iEE0ESYNULSBNCgnSIW1!~~0_12.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace