Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I won a few vintage Panamas on ebay during the past couple of weeks. This is the first to arrive. It will need a good cleaning and steam shaping and there are a couple of small weak spots in the weave that need attention as well... but all in all, a pretty nice older optimo for less than 30 dollars.

optimo2.jpg

optimo1.jpg

optimo3.jpg

optimo4.jpg

PHOTO_2879898_27521_5062477_ap.jpg

hand%20the%20hatter.jpg

dlabout

New in Town
Hi Everyone, As Josh mentioned earlier, I am the proud owner of Josh's CHAMP Featherweight Fedora. I also recently purchased a Open Road style 40's Grey Fedora and a Brown Knox Fedora.
I will try and get some pictures posted up once they all arrive. I look forward to getting a little more involved out here. So much to know about these many treasures of history.
-Doug

dlabout

New in Town
My frustration is being a size 7 at 22" and on ebay you get everything from 21" to 23" as a size 7. Seems that no other size on ebay has such a huge range in measurements.
Even better is you can't limit the search results by just size 7. It isn't even listed under the refine section of ebay and if you put it in the subject search i get everything that starts or has a "7" in the title.
Lucky for me I'm in computers and have more time than I really should to surf.
-Doug

What IS lucky, is that there are many, many hats in size 7 for sale on Ebay, a lot which are in very nice condition. I have also found I can expand from 6 7/8 to 7 1/8 and usually make those sizes work for me.

Welcome Doug!

If your head circumference measures at 22" exactly, you are in that nether world between 7 and 7 1/8. Buying vintage at auction is always a crap shoot. Some sweatbands have shrunk over the years... some hats have been stretched beyond their tagged size. Measuring circumference around the sweatband is not so easy to get right - you'll find a lot of quick estimates by sellers that are way off. I sometimes ask the seller to measure the head opening from front to back and side to side, easier to do accurately than inside circumference and I have a pretty good idea of how a hat will fit me from these numbers.

Have fun. If something you really love comes up a little wrong, you can always have a hatter adjust the fit for you in either direction.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My frustration is being a size 7 at 22" and on ebay you get everything from 21" to 23" as a size 7. Seems that no other size on ebay has such a huge range in measurements.
Even better is you can't limit the search results by just size 7. It isn't even listed under the refine section of ebay and if you put it in the subject search i get everything that starts or has a "7" in the title.
Lucky for me I'm in computers and have more time than I really should to surf.
-Doug

Im a size 7 at 22", myself. I know exactly what your talking about. Listen to hatophile & Alan. What they said is very true. Oh, by the way, the hat is going out either today or tomorrow. I couldn't make it to the post office this weekend.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
It was an exciting auction... I stopped to look despite the size. Look forward to seeing it up close!
Congrats, del, that one definitely has potential.

Thanks, gentlemen, I am anxiously looking forward to receiving the hat and studying it. It is my earliest Dobbs lid.

I won a few vintage Panamas on ebay during the past couple of weeks. This is the first to arrive. It will need a good cleaning and steam shaping and there are a couple of small weak spots in the weave that need attention as well... but all in all, a pretty nice older optimo for less than 30 dollars.

Congratulations, Alan! You are amassing some real Ecuadorian beauties.

Hi Everyone, As Josh mentioned earlier, I am the proud owner of Josh's CHAMP Featherweight Fedora. I also recently purchased a Open Road style 40's Grey Fedora and a Brown Knox Fedora.

Welcome, Doug! Nice lids, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic