Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Good one, Josh, but I thought you were sticking to 30's styles;). By the way, did your homburg arrive yet?

Stetson Homburg isnt in yet. I will post pictures as soon as it is. I cant wait.
I'm trying to stick to 30's styles, but this ADAM was just so nice. :) If I can get enough height out of the crown, I will keep it. Ive actually sold most of my 50's fedoras except for one or two I think. I'm keeping a couple 50's Homburgs. I'm really pretty scared to wear my 20's and 30's hats because Im afraid of popping out the stitches and ruining the sweatbands. I have to order a 30's style hat from Art.

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
Im really interested, Billy! How did you date it?

It's pre-Miller Bros (1955 they changed the logos), it's post OPS, the previous logo I've seen OPS tags on:
ExecutiveBrownTopHats.jpg

The following Miller Bros era one was this, very similar one
millerbrosexec.jpg

I know that your logo was used in the Miller Bros. era but only ever with the Miller Bros sweatband stamp.

Cheers,

Bill

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It's pre-Miller Bros (1955 they changed the logos), it's post OPS, the previous logo I've seen OPS tags on:
ExecutiveBrownTopHats.jpg

The following Miller Bros era one was this, very similar one
millerbrosexec.jpg

I know that your logo was used in the Miller Bros. era but only ever with the Miller Bros sweatband stamp.

Cheers,

Bill

Thats great info, Billy!! Thanks very much. This will help me in my fedora searches.

fmw

One Too Many
I don't know anything about them either but the name is Fausto. The V in the name is simply a nod to they way U's were carved in stone by the classic Romans. That may not help, though, if you don't know about a hat maker names Fausto.

I don't know anything about them either but the name is Fausto. The V in the name is simply a nod to they way U's were carved in stone by the classic Romans. That may not help, though, if you don't know about a hat maker names Fausto.

Thanks! I will make the change. I will contact Mutinelli and see if they know anything about it.

It appears Fausto (Mutinelli) was the founders first name so it must be some type of house brand. Will have to see if I can find out more.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
You're in good shape if you can wear cowboy hats where you are. So many nice ones are up for sale on E Bay. I look at them for conversion candidates only, because here in Washington D.C. I can mainly use dress type hats or something similar. But the quality available of cowboy hats looks great, and the condition too. Answer me this: Is there a noticeable difference between a 60s, 70s, 80, 90s and 2000s cowboy hat? I am just wondering if the people who wear cowboy hats could pick a used one from any decade, or whether they change much. You said one of those you bought had a low crown--maybe modern ones have lower crowns. I am curious because I never have been in the cowboy hat market.

Dan, you can still find new hats of most styles, but the style that is worn the most by the average cowboy hat wearer today, has a low cattlemen crown of about 4 inches, and aparently that is all that sells as that is all that our local western store stocks, anymore which I find agrivating as I can't wear a 4 inch crown, or at least I don't want to, as I can't get it down on my head far enough. I don't know how most people can keep a 4 inch crown on their head in the wind, riding a horse, or 4 wheeler, etc.

Except for a few Gus Hats, the taller crowns are special order at my local Cavenders Store, and they make no apoligies for it. I prefer the Stetsons and Resistols with at least a 5 1/2" crown, which used to be a lot more common then they are now, both in the stores and on people's heads, espacally arround the cowboy circuits, and even at the local feed store, or at least It seems that way. Just look at the modern day Open Roads, the crown is so short I wouldn't buy one at all, but that is just me.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Here are a couple of shots. The light brown one with the gus crease is from the 1960's. Originally it had a cattleman's and the crown stood 7" creased. The silverbelly one is from the 90's. It has a 6" crown in a cattleman crease. Note how the brims differ in appearance. The 60's hat lays flat on a table. The line along the bottom of the brim is straight from front to back. The silverbelly is pulled down front and back to provide a more curved look to the bottom of the hat. I would view those as typical changes in style. A western hat wearer, however, would be content in either one. It is just a matter of preference. The 60's style hasn't gone out of style.

stetson.jpg

serratelli.jpg

I love that sorta retangle crown hat you have, I remember buying one of those in a sorta dark gray/bluish color Resistol back in the earily 70's when I was a teenager. I wore it for a couple of years as a dress hat, then it became a rougher duty/hunting hat till I finally wore it out. That crown is pretty dated nowday, but I still like it much better then the low cattleman's crease on the short crowned hats of today.

fmw

One Too Many
I love that sorta retangle crown hat you have, I remember buying one of those in a sorta dark gray/bluish color Resistol back in the earily 70's when I was a teenager. I wore it for a couple of years as a dress hat, then it became a rougher duty/hunting hat till I finally wore it out. That crown is pretty dated nowday, but I still like it much better then the low cattleman's crease on the short crowned hats of today.

The factory did that crease, not me. You're right, though, the rectangular crease results in a somewhat lower crown. That hat was made by Serratelli but the Resistol lineup has quite a few models with that kind of crease - even today. So it isn't hard to find in a new hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou