Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatsEnough

Banned
A Yellow Cab uniform cap, not mine though I considered it.

$(KGrHqEOKooE4t4Q6O1ZBOPdpLS,P!~~0_14.JPG

Tom

LOL, me too. It really is a cool old hat.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Does Gary White repair moth damage?

Not precisely. Most of the moth damage is on the underside of the brim, and he told me that he would probably not be able to do anything about that. While I was there he brushed the crown, and while the little damage there was still visible, it was far less prominent. Having a satin finish, the moth damage doesn't seem to manifest itself as holes or divots, but as a loss of nap.

I am not expecting a perfectly restored hat; I just leave it to Mr. White to make it look as good as possible (cleaning, liner, new ribbon, blocking). As I said, I wish I had thought to take before shots, but alas.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Not precisely. Most of the moth damage is on the underside of the brim, and he told me that he would probably not be able to do anything about that. While I was there he brushed the crown, and while the little damage there was still visible, it was far less prominent. Having a satin finish, the moth damage doesn't seem to manifest itself as holes or divots, but as a loss of nap.

I am not expecting a perfectly restored hat; I just leave it to Mr. White to make it look as good as possible (cleaning, liner, new ribbon, blocking). As I said, I wish I had thought to take before shots, but alas.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
tiny Strat with original box (original box from another brand of hat and another decade)

Ah yes, I have extended the winning consideration for this hat. Given the seller got this size of info correct, I will fit that "tiny" Strat hat. The box - yes errors by the seller. Given that the age, historical details, hat details (changed slightly from original listing), and box all have small errors in detail, I have my fingers crossed that the hat will prove to be a good wearing Strat. I tried hard to gather additional info from the seller, but was not happily rewarded. Odds of being pleased, I believe, are still tipped in my favor. After the hat makes it pre-flight inspection I will test fly the hat for the FL and record some pics.

Hoping to be stylishly flying wearing my airplane hat, Eric -

Last edited:

wgiceman

One of the Regulars

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear that.

Ever since getting that Stetson "The Sovereign" that was too small, I've been looking for another homburg. As soon as I saw those two I was discouraged; I knew that some Loungers were going to jump all over them (especially the Portis). Nevertheless, I gave it my best shot [huh]. Wasn't enough, unfortunately lol.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That Portis looked great. At first glance I thought it might be a derby in a very cool color, but a 6 inch crown with signs of having been creased, wide ribbon, etc..... oh, well. congrats to whomever got that one.

Rick Blaine

something special or a pig in a poke?

Got this Montecristi (?) w/absolutely no opposition this evening!
I am sure it was thanks, in part, to the poor photos & listing. But c'mon, the case is worth that!

I have color corrected & attempted to sharpen the auction photos:

panama1-1.jpg

panama2-1.jpg

panama3-1.jpg

It looks quite linen-like to me. A fine weave. Narrow backwoven brim edge- seems very consistent, slight trace of a center ridge-
small initial vuelta, also suggesting maybe that there are many more... Tough to say, though.
I was a bit troubled by the non-leather sweat,
but then wondered if perhaps this was a rollable at one time. That would explain the wonky brim, center ridge & tight front pinch, eh?

Any thoughts or observations? [huh]

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
It looks like a finely woven Montecristi, the case is nice, too. I think you're right on your assessment that the hat might have been rolled at some point: the brim crease and the sloppy brim are good indicators. can't wait to see better images when you get it! The case is awesome!

Hard to say from the pictures but the weave suggests Baku to me rather than Montecristi. That would be a nice score as well. Either way, I bet you'll get your money's worth. Nice hunting to find that one.

danofarlington

Got this Montecristi (?) w/absolutely no opposition this evening!
I am sure it was thanks, in part, to the poor photos & listing. But c'mon, the case is worth that!

If you paid less than $300 you got yourself a steal, in my opinion. That is one fine hat. That must be one of the best Panamas offered on E Bay, not that I see very many of them there. Had I seen it and it been in my size, I would've gone for it. You are a big winner. That's the whole reason to shop on E Bay as far as I'm concerned--turn over a rock and find a gem.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hard to say from the pictures but the weave suggests Baku to me rather than Montecristi. That would be a nice score as well. Either way, I bet you'll get your money's worth. Nice hunting to find that one.

I thought about that too, Alan. What lads me to think it's a Montecristi is the modulation of the weave tone in picture one: the few rows of brownish straw very typical in Montecristi. And the brim's edge in the same picture. Either way, as you said it, a great find.

P. & C. Habig Zylinderhut

I picked up this P. & C. Habig Topper (Zylinderhut) + leather case. Is it silk in need of a polish? My guess is felt.

6042028290_15002f522b_b.jpg

6041357041_3cc01e063a_b.jpg

6041906904_2ff03be736_b.jpg

6041904374_3fb74ed68e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana