Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

2. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

Yes, as soon as I saw that nice western I could only think of one person who should be wearing it.

3. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

That's a very cool hat.
    I deleted the bookmark, but another 3X Stetson in good shape went for a pretty penny-- 150-200 ish, if I recall!

Coble, I swear I'll tone it down! I can't sustain this kind of activity either. I did buy that Stephen Stetson Lord's hat, and will certainly post photos when it arrives.

This hobby/obsession does tend to consume many of us who hang out in the lounge. What I want to know is where is the "one hat to rule them all?"

4. alanfgag

alanfgag

I hope the right person ends up wearing it!

I thought it might have gone higher had the opening bid not been so high. Or maybe not... westerns have a narrow audience around these parts.
    Anyone have a sense how late the No.1 quality of this prewar generation was offered?

Surfing around late last night I found this one hanging out on an antler. If it turns out as small as advertised, it might be a present for my dad. I think it should fit his shaved head.

5. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky One Too Many

6. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

I believe that's the case, yes.

At one point I was thinking that there would be no bids at all , since the starting price was so high. Really nice hat!

7. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

Nice one, Robert. I got one that looks identical (but is a 3X Beaver quality) a year or so ago.

One thing I note in particular: it looks like the brim flanging is quite a bit flatter at the front than the back. Mine is the same way. Until now, I presumed a previous owner had ironed the front, but it looks like Stetson might have made the Tijuanas that way.

8. Lt.Sam

Lt.Sam Banned

Well I have been lurking for a month or so and registered last week. I bought a Dobbs fedora in brown for $35 at a local second hand shop. It is a size 7-1/4, so I hope I did OK? The ribbon is interesting as it has like a little cord on the top and the bottom of the thing. Never seen anything like it.

9. alanfgag

alanfgag

+1... price scooted up there too. I think the one I sold went for $25. The Disneyana must have done it.

10. figment2179

figment2179 New in Town

last week i "won" a Stetson Drifter (4x buffalo felt) for 71 bucks. not a bad deal.

11. AXL DEMOCRACY

AXL DEMOCRACY One of the Regulars

Sounds like a score! Thanks, DJH. Yeah, the Alessandria I purchased was in mint condition (well from the photos, waiting for the hat to come) has a very wide brim (I only wear wide brims) and a really beautiful color (again, from the photos). Really looking forward to getting it and putting it on me head :)
    As I said, I paid a lot for it, probably could have bought a brand new one (even this one is apparently vintage but brand new cause it was rarely worn) or had one made for the price...but something about the hat being vintage - over 60 years old that makes it even cooler...for me.
    I'll try to post some photos when I get it.

12. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

Yep, you can put some photos in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

13. Str8Jacket

Str8Jacket New in Town

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  14. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

It's hard to go wrong for $25. That's a pretty good place to be for a starter hat.

Of course, once you're hooked, you'll be looking to spend a bit more on something like this Whippet-eque Stetson.

15. Str8Jacket

Str8Jacket New in Town

Thank you Sir, I appreciate your opinion.

16. randooch

randooch I'll Lock Up

17. neanderthal57

neanderthal57 New in Town

18. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

19. alanfgag

alanfgag