Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
UNBELIEVABLE. How I missed that hat despite my diligent ebay searches is beyond belief or sense of reason. Congratulations to the winner; I am green with envy...in my size too.

A bunch of hat bodies, ribbon and other assorted stuff came up on German eBay recently. Late 1950s and from ANDREAS SCHLÜTER / HAMBURG. I picked up this thin ribbon so thought this might be of interest to those so inclined.

6978984651_03d33cd1e7_b.jpg

6832858818_84f5482129_b.jpg

Here is some of the other items.

6979022835_9f51992a07_b.jpg

6979022843_bac6606ba8_b.jpg

6979022873_535466cbd2_b.jpg

6832897238_e0657be2a5_b.jpg

6979022895_9f5aff7093_b.jpg

This is the supplier of the above Velours. Some are finished.

6979022905_66a2272874_b.jpg

6979022825_3f5f82039b_b.jpg

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
I have a habit of bidding on hats that I am curious about, so I'll be notified how much it sold for at the end. I just like to get an idea how much certain hats are worth. My size is also hard to find in vintage hats, so I was interested how high the bidding would go on this one. Imagine my surprise when, after a 7 day auction, no one bid against me and I got this Biltmore for $30:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...PageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160#ht_7811wt_1386

Blackthorn, That's appears to be a light-weight version of the one I just got (see avatar) from a fellow-lounger (via ePrey)...at a considerably higher price. Nice hat, will be interested in seeing you under it.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, great, you picked it up! I wanted the ribbon, but my bid was not high enough!
I have written the seller, all Hats have no sweatband installed!

Last edited:

Up the Smoke

New in Town
On the cheap

High guys, just introducing myself - I am calling myself Up the Smoke. For non-Brits, this refers to a London dweller (because of the smog of 60 years and earlier ago). What a time to become hat obsessed! i.e. when unemployed for the first time after decades. So I am trying to do it on a budget which of course means ebay most of the time where much of the British stuff is Christy's. So here are 2 results both of which were about $22 or £14 (the most I have paid so far and one for £2.50) - a Borsalino but no type name but I think very modern and the other in my avatar, a Sovereign Stetson sold by Henri Henri of Montreal. I also got a Dunn and Co Austrian Velour from Czechoslovakia Fedora which the owner must have used as a cigarette filter - I had to wash it or throw it so I washed it without much damage. My question is what exactly is velour made from? Wool? Fur?

UTS

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
High guys, just introducing myself - I am calling myself Up the Smoke. For non-Brits, this refers to a London dweller (because of the smog of 60 years and earlier ago). What a time to become hat obsessed! i.e. when unemployed for the first time after decades. So I am trying to do it on a budget which of course means ebay most of the time where much of the British stuff is Christy's. So here are 2 results both of which were about $22 or £14 (the most I have paid so far and one for £2.50) - a Borsalino but no type name but I think very modern and the other in my avatar, a Sovereign Stetson sold by Henri Henri of Montreal. I also got a Dunn and Co Austrian Velour from Czechoslovakia Fedora which the owner must have used as a cigarette filter - I had to wash it or throw it so I washed it without much damage. My question is what exactly is velour made from? Wool? Fur?

UTS

Hiya 'Smoke & welcome to ya'!
I think velour is simply another type finish for fur felt, though I may be mistaken.
I wash my hats in white petrol (stove fuel) which no smell can withstand.

Austrian Velour (considered the finest, a luxury item) is made up of rabbit / hare felt with maybe some nutria. Most likely the hat body came from one of the Novy Jicin, Czecho Slovakia hat companies (J. Hückel´s Söhne, Anton Peschel, Brüder Böhm). I would like to see it if you can post photos.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Austrian Velour (considered the finest) is made up of rabbit / hare felt with maybe some nutria. Most likely the hat body came from one of the Novy Jicin, Czecho Slovakia hat companies (J. Hückel´s Söhne, Anton Peschel, Brüder Böhm). I would like to see it if you can post photos.

Austrian Velour may be considered the finest, but after owning one, I think it IS/WAS the absolute finest. Its amazing stuff. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner