Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just won this "Modern" Stetson Gun Club.

Stetson Gun Club

GunClub1.jpg

GunClub2.jpg

I usually never buy modern hats, but I just love this one. It has a wide rolled and unbound brim. The crown creased measures 5 1/2 and looks fairly tall in the pics. I would bet its a 6 inch crown. The proportions are just right for a vintage western conversion. The only thing this hat is having done to it is a new crease and the removal of that horrible feather ribbon. I am going to make this hat a replica of Lefty's former Chamois Thin Ribbon.

Chamois1.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the 100 is nice. Until the very end of the auction it looked as though it would be a bargain for someone.

As it is, HatsEnough had to pay a fair amount for it.

I looked at the Whippet too - was rather put off by the fact a previous owner seemed to have suffered a bad head wound while wearing the hat.

TipTop

Practically Family
Just scored a pair of Col. Littleton hats- I guess I am set for life now!
:laugh: ...I knew I'd never say that with a straight face!

Col Littletons are sold at Orvis (main store in Manchester, VT) and I have looked at them, right beside the Christy's (which I have bought). They look like good solid quality and are nicely styled. I'll be interested in your lifetime :pof use out of them.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I've been bidding lightly and losing every time... a good feeling of sorts. I did come up a winner on this Stetson 3X reference to a style we know better in its Dobbs variation.

Great pick up, Alan! I was seriously considering bidding on that one, but I still can't pull the trigger on a Gay Prince type hat. Its not quite my style. I love the finish of the felt though!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I won this great vintage panama yesterday...http://www.ebay.com/itm/200724221931?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It looks like a pretty decent crown, so I am going to see if I can block this out like I did my Milan. If the crown doesn't prove to be as tall as I like, I guess it will become an Optimo crown. Unfortunately I don't have an optimo block yet, so I guess it will go to Optimo. We will see.

Luckily the seller is only 20 minutes from Chicago, so I'm going to pick it up.

Funny... that was on my list too. I'm glad you were the winner and that our rhythm is so good we're not bidding up each other's booty...(that would be the pirate treasure :))

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
What's the problem with Pork Pie/Telescopes?

LOL. Nothings really wrong with them, I just love tall crowns and porkpies are about as short as they get. I guess the exception for me would be if a telescope was made with a 6 inch crown, so that the crown was still tall (kind of like the styles from 1915-1918) I have been trying to buy hats from the 50's that have proportions that I like so I can wear them. All of my pre-1940 lids never see head time because I really do not want ruin the sweatbands. The are part of the history of the hat, so all of my pre-1940's hats are part of the permanent collection. These early 50's telescope crowns have decent sized brims and when blocked out, still allow me to get the crown height that I want. I guess to me, if I ruin a 50's sweatband, its not a big deal to me. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner