Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Ok, here's the question: how accurate (or vindictive) should I be leaving feedback for a vendor on ebay who stiffed me? Got a reasonable deal on a Stetson Carson (below). Forty bucks, plus twenty shipping. After a long, drawn-out process the vendor tells me that he shipped the hat to an APO address in Germany, in error. Refunded my money completely. The guy either was incompetent, or he found a bidder who paid more and stiffed me. Given that feedback is to help other buyers, my inclination is to give negative or neutral feedback. Am I being too much of a ba***rd?

Never assume. Seriously.
Checking the seller's feedback list is in order, though. If there's no pattern - give the seller the benefit of the doubt. You got your money back, after all. Negative feedback on the basis of speculation is not exactly fair, but perhaps your correspondence with the seller provided you with more information on whether or not he's honest?

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Never assume. Seriously.
Checking the seller's feedback list is in order, though. If there's no pattern - give the seller the benefit of the doubt. You got your money back, after all. Negative feedback on the basis of speculation is not exactly fair, but perhaps your correspondence with the seller provided you with more information on whether or not he's honest?

And that German APO guy may just send it back wondering what the heck is going on...and you might get another bite at the apple. I have to remind myself all the time that we are not dealing with professional retailers (or shippers). I have miss-labeled things and thankfully the buyers were very kind about exchanging them directly! But those were the old days when you could still see who the buyer was and address them directly.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
My first inclination would be to walk and not bother with feedback.

If I really wanted the hat I might make the following proposal; which assumes that it really was a mistake.

A proposal to the seller: the guy in Germany who didn't win the hat will ship it back, when he does the seller can ship it to you and refund you a partial amount for your inconvenience, all of this has to happen w/in 30 days otherwise you'll have to file a grievance before the time runs out to do so. Meanwhile do not accept a refund via paypal otherwise it will kill your chances of using the ebay dispute resolution process.

If you make the above proposal and you get a weird or evasive response, it might prove to you that you really are dealing with a dishonest seller. If you come to that conclusion then I would demand a full refund, forget the hat, and make critical feedback because you will have smoked him out as a dishonest seller.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Ok, here's the question: how accurate (or vindictive) should I be leaving feedback for a vendor on ebay who stiffed me? Got a reasonable deal on a Stetson Carson (below). Forty bucks, plus twenty shipping. After a long, drawn-out process the vendor tells me that he shipped the hat to an APO address in Germany, in error. Refunded my money completely. The guy either was incompetent, or he found a bidder who paid more and stiffed me. Given that feedback is to help other buyers, my inclination is to give negative or neutral feedback. Am I being too much of a ba***rd?

While the experience is disappointing, assuming he screwed you when he claims an honest mistake is not warranted unless you have evidence of such. It sounds as though he behaved in a reasonable manner in refunding you the money, even though he did so slowly, and you shouldn't publicly libel his integrity on the basis of one mistake. You can criticize his slowness to respond and the difficulty of getting him to admit his mistake, but don't accuse him of things you can't prove.

Rabbit's advice is good, you may have more justification if he's done this more than once. 4spurs is also on the right track in that you may get another shot at it if the german guy returns it.

Last edited:

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I bought a hat on German ebay (not the abovementioned Stetson :p) and the seller set it to only accept bank transfer. It's been over a week since I won the auction, and he hasn't provided me any information about how to pay via bank transfer. I've emailed him a few times and he hasn't responded except to refuse to cancel the purchase. I'm basically in limbo here, I've agreed to buy but I can't pay because of the seller's intransigence. As the days go by, I get more worried I'll get censured by ebay or the seller or something, and a bad rating could harm my ability to buy and sell in the future. Can someone tell me what I should do?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I bought a hat on German ebay (not the abovementioned Stetson :p) and the seller set it to only accept bank transfer. It's been over a week since I won the auction, and he hasn't provided me any information about how to pay via bank transfer. I've emailed him a few times and he hasn't responded except to refuse to cancel the purchase. I'm basically in limbo here, I've agreed to buy but I can't pay because of the seller's intransigence. As the days go by, I get more worried I'll get censured by ebay or the seller or something, and a bad rating could harm my ability to buy and sell in the future. Can someone tell me what I should do?

From http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/wait-contact.html

"If you can't contact the seller by email after you purchase an item, or you don't receive a response, you should request the member's contact information and call them."

Couldn't find anything else, hope this helps.
As a buyer, you can't get negative feedback (strangely enough). The seller can, however, open an unpaid item case (which of course would be ridiculous in your particular case).
You as the buyer can also open a case, and if I remember correctly when a problem remains unsolved you have to (whatever that means) open a case after 60 days. No need for that so far, I guess...

Last edited:

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I'm not certain he can ask for a bank transfer, doesn't ebay require paypal now? Isn't that how they are able to control their buyer protection plan?

But if he can ask for a bank transfer, if you sent him email through ebay asking for instructions and he never replied then you can enter a dispute with ebay about him not replying, and against any negative rating he gives you. I suspect that if he hasn't replied to you he's probably not likely to bother to give you a negative write-up either.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Isn't that how they are able to control their buyer protection plan?

I think you're quite right. Anything beside paypal is a little risky. Other payment methods are principally o.k. by ebay policy, though.

Last edited:

Iyor

One of the Regulars
I think you're quite right. Anything beside paypal is a little risky. Other payment methods are principally o.k. by ebay policy, though.

Its only here in the US that you have to accept paypal. In the EU bank transfer is acceptable.

Mystic

Practically Family
I am finding new ways of getting screwed on eBay.

Just had another issue. this time with eBay...not the seller.....

seems that sometimes bids get "lost" or don't "register"....

:mad: :( :frusty:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I am finding new ways of getting screwed on eBay.

Just had another issue. this time with eBay...not the seller.....

seems that sometimes bids get "lost" or don't "register"....

:mad: :( :frusty:

Dang, Mystic, never heard of that one before! Maybe you're on Ebay's (s)hit list. Not much recourse, either, David & Goliath notwithstanding.

Mystic

Practically Family
Dang, Mystic, never heard of that one before! Maybe you're on Ebay's (s)hit list. Not much recourse, either, David & Goliath notwithstanding.

Yep....I think I'm going to just take a break from eBay....

Save me from the weekly frustration and save some money.

Not much point when the enjoyment is gone......[huh]

Mystic

Practically Family
That happened to me because my internet connection was spotty at the time. I use auction sniper now to avoid that problem.

I haven't had any problems with my internet connection in so long I forgot the last time there was a problem.
Seems like that would be quite a co-incidence to have a internet dis-connect the very second you clicked bid.....

I personally don't think snipe programs should be allowed on eBay.....I think it's a gimmick that cost sellers money and discourages bidding from buyers, same as the 1 click gimmick.......but, thats just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy