Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
So I decide to take a shot at a Barbisio on ebay. I win it. Pay instantly, seller acknowledges, sends delivery confirmation within hours. Nice!... The next day she says she saw a couple of stains on top that she hadn't noticed before, tried to clean them out, made the hat un-salvageable, stain spreads, she thinks she might have dented the felt into a hole. She refunds in full instantly. I ask if I could have it for $10. She says yes and will send invoice soon. Not a word until this morning. She says that she left the hat outside to dry, it rained a little bit and lo and behold, the stains are virtually gone. She wants $25 instead. I say yes. I ask about the hole, she says no hole. Hat is on its way to me.
Best case scenario: the stains she saw were probably easy to remove with steam and a hat sponge, and even after what she did I have a feeling I can save the hat. Worst case scenario: she ruined the felt by rubbing it and using who knows what to clean it, in which case I might have to pull a MacGyver ;), strip the whole thing and turn the body inside out (I did that to the Strat. Perry gave me) that is a pain in the ass process, which requires time specially for pouncing. Argh... See why I don't like eBay?

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
So I decide to take a shot at a Barbisio on ebay. I win it. Pay instantly, seller acknowledges, sends delivery confirmation within hours. Nice!... The next day she says she saw a couple of stains on top that she hadn't notice before, tried to clean them out, made the hat un-salvageable, stain spreads she thinks she might have dented the felt into a hole. She refunds in full instantly. I ask if I could have it for $10. She says yes and will send invoice soon. Not a word until this morning. She says that she left the hat outside to dry, it rained a little bit and lo and behold, the stains are virtually gone. She wants $25 instead. I say yes. I ask about the hole, she says no hole. Hat is on its way to me.
Best case scenario: the stains she saw were probably easy to remove with steam and a hat sponge, and even after what she did I have a feeling I can save the hat. Worst case scenario: she ruined the felt by rubbing it and using who knows what to clean it, in which case I might have to pull a Macgyver ;), strip the whole thing and turn the body inside out (I did that to the Strat. Perry gave me) that is a pain in the ass process, which requires time specially for pouncing. Argh... See why I don't like eBay?

Good lord. I mean to say, good lord. An indecisive and incompetent seller sure is a pain in the neck.

Haven't heard of that MacGyver trick before. :D He would do the pouncing with a nail file, I presume?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Good lord. I mean to say, good lord. An indecisive and incompetent seller sure is a pain in the neck.

Haven't heard of that MacGyver trick before. :D He did the pouncing with a nail file, I presume?

I think she meant well but sellers of hats with no knowledge should refrain from trying to be helpful and removing stains for buyers.
Not a nail file but with the dented edge of a quarter! lol

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Haven't heard of that MacGyver trick before.

Sounds like a job better suited to MacGruber ... ;)

1071d978.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Not that low for a 7, though given that it has the box and is in excellent condition it might have gone for 150 if they'd set it as a buy it now.

Sure, it's possible. It "might" have happened. But I myself don't see any reason to suspect that a 150 BIN listing would have resulted in a sale at this time.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
So I decide to take a shot at a Barbisio on ebay. I win it. Pay instantly, seller acknowledges, sends delivery confirmation within hours. Nice!... The next day she says she saw a couple of stains on top that she hadn't noticed before, tried to clean them out, made the hat un-salvageable, stain spreads, she thinks she might have dented the felt into a hole. She refunds in full instantly. I ask if I could have it for $10. She says yes and will send invoice soon. Not a word until this morning. She says that she left the hat outside to dry, it rained a little bit and lo and behold, the stains are virtually gone. She wants $25 instead. I say yes. I ask about the hole, she says no hole. Hat is on its way to me.
Best case scenario: the stains she saw were probably easy to remove with steam and a hat sponge, and even after what she did I have a feeling I can save the hat. Worst case scenario: she ruined the felt by rubbing it and using who knows what to clean it, in which case I might have to pull a MacGyver ;), strip the whole thing and turn the body inside out (I did that to the Strat. Perry gave me) that is a pain in the ass process, which requires time specially for pouncing. Argh... See why I don't like eBay?

Follow up: Stain is gone. Sweat being sewn back after slight stretch of leather and felt body. Pictures at some point after the weekend. I like it!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Could you explain how sew the sweat back?

Turn out the sweatband of one of your hats. You'll see where the stitches go through the leather and trough the felt. After you remove it, is just a matter of doing it again. It all happens underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy